Win10 woes have begun. Cannot even boot to safe mode!

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by DSparil, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Anyone can help me please. I am in the safe öde now. What to do here? I entered os 10 in safe mode but no idea where to fix what to do.

2. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    See if you can do a system restore since you are in safe mode. Sounds like the update messed something up.

Also may want to do a chkdsk.

3. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    When I click windows restore screen it disappears. Can't access it. Also teed troubleshooting. It found service registration is missing or corrupt. Error. Fixed it. I restarted pc but still same hanging circling logo. Ffs.

On Google I found that if u press and bold power button a few times pc boot sin menu for repair etc. I entered there tried restore pc there. Saying no restore point. Tried reset of. It days no enough space.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Remove the last Cumulative Update if it lets you, might have to use command line

Some command lines here you can try
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5486-uninstall-windows-update-windows-10-a.html

Replace the KB with the last one installed

Removing the CU will probably take your Win 10 back to 15063.0 so you'll need to find a link to the previous CU before this one that broke things

5. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Thank you guys. managed to FORCE delete some big files in my C:/ . then tried reset this pc and worked. a clean install.

Thankfully my games all are in different HDDs. STEAM and ORIGIN games are instant THERE to play.

6. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Ok, I'm glad we solved someone's issue, but mine still persists lol. Any further advice considering my last posts update? I'm completely at a loss at this stage, especially after having tried a different hard drive with another Windows installation altogether. I really don't want to have to take this thing into some shop :cry:

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You said that HDD already had 7 installed on it, was it originally installed on that machine with the same mobo etc?

What happens if you try to install 10 from USB onto that HDD?

Tried a different SATA port?

Reset BIOS?

8. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Im not sure if that mobo was on this system or another. I believe it was the same. When i try to install 10 from the boot drive on this HDD, it just shows the blue Win logo with a flashing cursor on the top left and soon goes to a black screen. Ive tried swapping SATA ports to no avail. For both drives. I feel im virtually out of options with what i can do here at home...

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Did you try the secure boot thing?

Either disable it in the BIOS / enable CSM, or create a UEFI/FAT32 USB stick to install from

You don't have any other displays connected?

Disconnected everything else, other drives, non boot essential hardware?

How long have you left it on the black screen? I've had machines that took a stupid length of time to boot from the install media and could never work out why

10. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Secure boot does not appear to be an option in my Asus bios. It's nowhere to be found. I misspoke on the startup stick. After the black screen, I get options to recover from a drive, but none of them work. I tried to wipe the drive and reinstall Windows, no go. I tried to keep files and fix the current installation and it's a no-go. They both say, "there was a problem recovering your PC". No sh!t Windows recovery, thanks for the help!

Can't roll back to a previous version, can't use startup repair, can't system restore, can't use system image recovery. I'm thinking it may be a mobo or memory issue at this point. I can't come to any other conclusion

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017

11. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Well, the diagnosis is in. I exhausted my troubleshooting options at home and took it into a reputable local shop for them to check it out. Somehow both drives were corrupted, but he was able to salvage and clean up the SSD. Sadly my other HDD, the gaming drive, is toast. The HDD is so whacked that it can't even make it through a scandisk without freezing. I have a lot of the stuff on it backed up, but I've lost a LOT of video game saves and data that can't be replaced. Oh well, computers will be computers.

Thanks for the help and advice in here none the less. Now the search is on for a nice big HDD to replace this one