(GeForce-only) Eliminate motion blur on LightBoost 120Hz LCD! Zero blur like CRT!!!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by mdrejhon, Mar 1, 2013.

1. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Dear Meester Mark Rejhon,

The links you have posted have left my mouth dry because of all the drooling. The modding ideas for non-LightBoost monitors are incredible. I had this in mind since I read about LightBoost, how we can use an Arduino to sync to refresh and such.

Thank you for the awesome blog! I'll be sure to try this out when I get some time (in a couple months)!

2. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    What are the long term effects on the monitor?

While LEDs are tough the worst thing in electronics is turning something on and off, people with CFL lit monitors should defiantly not do this.

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Most monitors use PWM to control LED backlight brightness instead of DC voltage adjustment. While PWM is more merciful than strobing, as it's a more frequent on-off cycling, and at a much higher frequency, they're already being turned on and off.

I'm guessing no LightBoost monitors use CFL anyways. All LED.

EDIT: actually, not much higher. I remember reading 200Hz or so.

4. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    If you are running 60 Hz on any LCD with LED backlight then this monitor/TV can't eliminate motion blur -> FAIL because the flicker is soft or lack. :p

I got no motion blur at 60 Hz on CRT 21" monitor due to flicker needed while I played games, interactived demos/samples or watch TV-DTT*/DVD*/BD-video... :D

The camera must be moving to follow the text or object (much) fastly moving but the very fast moviments and pure-smooth motion** are recommended - if the camera is stopping then do NOT capture! ;)

* - I should change to 50 Hz
    ** - pure-smooth motion <= 60 Hz + 60 fps vsync enabled or 75 Hz + 75 fps vsync or n Hz + n fps vsync, if n is 50 Hz or more refresh rates (50 for all CRT monitors/TV's and some LCD monitors and 48 Hz for Sony only).

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013

5. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Member Guru

GPU:
    4 Flux Capacitors in SLI
    Go to nVidia Control and re-enable the Stereoscopic 3D checkbox. Viola. Games now launch in stereoscopic 3D again.

6. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Member Guru

GPU:
    4 Flux Capacitors in SLI
    Some people are sensitive to PWM, true.

However, some eyestrain is caused by PWM artifacts; while LightBoost has no PWM artifacts. <b>There are sometimes people who get no eyestrain with 120 Hz CRT (lower frequency) than with 360 Hz PWM (higher frequency)<b>. We don't know all the reasons why; but for some people eyes, motion look pleasing, easier to track and easier to focus; which outweighs the flicker. If you are used to CRT, sometimes it's a pain when the human eyes tries to focus on motion-blurred objects during fast motion. Also, many plasma displays flicker at a lower frequency than PWM; since many models (e.g. Panasonic VT50) often compress the bright subfields (e.g. Focused Field Drive) to increase the black frame insertion effect, for better motion. But yes, PWM is an issue, but apparently, some people got less headaches with LightBoost than with PWM, while others got more. There's no predictor, except if you were a former CRT user.

As a rule of thumb, if you didn't mind 120 Hz CRT, you will generally not mind 120 Hz LightBoost.

LightBoost can be turned on/off.

7. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Member Guru

GPU:
    4 Flux Capacitors in SLI
    LED's are different; have no damage when turning on/off.

- Common monitors use PWM (PULSE-width modulation) which rapidly cycle LED's to do dimming.
    - LightBoost is already always enabled for 3D Vision, to reduce crosstalk.
    - LED's are cycled rapidly already in Existing HDTV Technology such as scanning backlights.

8. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Member Guru

GPU:
    4 Flux Capacitors in SLI
    I've also since discovered it's necessary to modify the RTC logic in the monitor, so that becomes challenging (write a comment in an appropriate Arduino post on Blur Busters, and I'll reply with comments explaining what needs to be done; and why even a $280 LightBoost monitor is much easier to mod; it can still use an improved/brighter LightBoost backlight so that LightBoost can be strobed faster than CRT phosphor, and also add capacitor for artificial phosphor decay simulator, plus add non-PWM dimming mode when LightBoost is turned off.)

9. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Member Guru

GPU:
    4 Flux Capacitors in SLI
    You'll be very happy with LightBoost; oscilloscope tests show that LightBoost strobe lengths are as short as 1.4 milliseconds. The strobes occur precisely on completed refreshes; the pixel persistences are virtually completely hidden by keeping the backlight turned off between refreshes. That's 92% shorter than a 60Hz 16.7ms sample-and-hold. Getting 92% less motion blur on LCD's is an amazing engineering feat; and that's why some LightBoost users finally put away their slowly-wearing-out Sony FW900 CRT's.

10. scandalous

scandalous Master Guru

GPU:
    980TI Classified
    So I'm guessing this won't work on my Benq xl2410T even though it's a 120hz monitor:(?. Haven't seen it being mentioned anywhere.

11. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    Ok but LightBoost enabled has only 1.4 ms = slow and LCD-LED has still up to 16 million-color, unfortunately. My CRT monitor works 1 billion-color due to unlimited color. :)

I will buy directly OLED (new technology) monitor-PC (0.01ms response time but flicker much required (because I remember that small 65k-color OLED display got flicker much hardly :)) for almost eliminate motion blur) from my CRT monitor maybe in 2015 to '17 because unfortunately OLED monitor-PC isn't released yet despite to have OLED TV. :)

12. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Member Guru

GPU:
    4 Flux Capacitors in SLI
    True about billion color, but there's no limiting factor to how short strobes can be -- you can have a 0.1ms LightBoost, if manufacturers made one, since pixel persistence is now successfully bypassed. Strobes can be shorter than pixel transitions. The limiting factor is how quickly the LED backlight can be strobed. LED's switch fast.

True, the OLED needs to flicker in order to eliminate motion blur. Otherwise, it has the same problem as LCD. See:
    "Why Do Some OLED's Have Motion Blur?"

OLED's can eventually become better than LCD in all categories, but there's still some checkmarks for OLED's to fix first (including brightness needed for strobes, low cost needed, etc). Unfortunately, it appears all the appropriate OLED checkboxes might not be complete till the 2020's; the first desktop models of OLED monitors will have motion blur (motion blur is about the same as displays that have responses closer to 0ms than to refresh length such as 16.7ms). This means CRT, plasma, and stroboscopic backlights will still outperform desktop OLED monitors for a long time at the mass consumer level.

13. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Member Guru

GPU:
    4 Flux Capacitors in SLI
    No, it doesn't have the strobe backlight feature. You have to go to the BENQ monitors with the 11T / 20T / 20TX suffix. Currently, the two best gaming monitors in the world are BENQ XL2411T and the ASUS VG248QE, from the rave reviews by competition gamers, including professional ones (they both have instant mode for low input lag too).

14. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    Yeah!! :) I tested PS Vita, Samsung Galaxy S II and Nokia N85 but I got still motion blur on these 3 devices (but its are NOT my -> "demo") :confused: because the response time 0.01 ms is weird but the lack of flicker causes motion blur after my investigation. ;)

EDIT: aah! I would buy Sony OLED monitor/TV 25" professional but it's too expensive but I will buy OLED monitor (I love Sony :D) likely in ~2015 (not 2020 nor later). :)

Thank you. :)

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

16. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    Sorry, unfortunately Eizo maybe hasn't LightBoost support and you need buy new monitor with LightBoost. ;)
    But @mdrejhon is waiting to confirm this phrase. :)

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    Its based on LED.. If its not then i dont mind either, i sure won't buy new monitor with some cheap TN matrix ;)

18. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    Current LED backlight has response time ~0.1-0.5ms while CRT monitor-PC (not CRT TV)... - what response time?
    a - 0.0006 ms
    b - 0 ms
    c - 0.00000046 ms
    d - 0.000015 ms

which is following a correct these letters?

ihih! xD

Note: I will take decision on tomorrow at 2 pm GMT. ;)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Idk, c?

So whats the winning price? Puresmooth LCD? :D

20. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    Thank for your selection - Good luck! :) LCD is puresmooth motion? No, we get motion "limited" due to motion blur. ;)

Your avatar is changed?! - wtf?! lool

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013