What franchise are you more interested in? Doom or Quake?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by DSparil, Apr 3, 2013.

?

Which franchise do you prefer?

1. Doom

44 vote(s)
    46.3%
  2. Quake

51 vote(s)
    53.7%
  1. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    I was just curious which franchise is the more popular one amongst the guru's here. For me, Quake wins by a long shot. Doom can be fun, but its very one dimensional and I've always enjoyed the more "industrial" setting of the Quake titles. Quake 2 was amazing and so was the unforgettable multi-player of Quake 3 Arena. I also felt Quake 4 was an all around great game that was a bit underrated! Quake Wars: Enemy Territory was a let down, but I am trying to forget that game ever happened.

With all of the talk about Doom 4, it makes me long for a Quake 5! So lets hear it, do you prefer the Doom or Quake games? What games were your favorites? :rpg:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Doom.

The Quake series, I only like parts of it. And those parts being Quake 2 and 4, the only actual sequels in the series.
    And since Quake 2 was originally supposed to be it's own game and not part of the Quake IP, I don't really consider it connected to Quake (which I think is boring as hell).

3. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    I wasn't a huge fan of Quake 1, it was ok, but a little weird with all the medieval stuff. I liked Quake 2 a lot.

I'm not sure what another Quake game would be like. That type of gameplay seems to have been left behind. I don't see them doing a "sandbox" type of thing.

Doom and Quake seem a little old school compared to what is out there now with Far Cry/Deus Ex/BioShock type gameplay that feature sandbox or RPG elements.

iD hasn't really done any new gameplay stuff in quite a while? I didn't try Rage, but the forum posts made it look pretty bad.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  4. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    I haven't heard anything like that. Where did you read it wasn't originally supposed to be a Quake game?

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  6. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    ^ well clearly it was very different than the original Quake, but I didn't know it was meant to be something else altogether. I just thought they were taking the franchise in a new direction. Luckily, it continued in that direction!

7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I think we'll see Half Life 3 before we would another Quake game. :D

8. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    bf4 and coh2.

9. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    haha, no doubt. I think if Enemy Territory:Quake Wars never happened (and didn't bomb), there would be a much better chance of us seeing a sequel to Quake 4.

10. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    From what I remember Enemy Territory did really well on the PC. It was the consoles that got horrible reviews.

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I want to see a sequel to Quake 1. Strogg aren't all that unique and the next gen consoles will probably have too many games which will be similar in setting.

12. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Would love another Doom.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Doom3 was my fav., I hope they'll continue with this smaller corridor style.

But overall I like both.

Maybe add a poll, both :)

14. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    DOOM for me... I always had great deal of respect for Quake as competitive arena shooter platform, but as a casual FPS gamer, it didn't have much personality for my personal liking.

15. stalkerfan

stalkerfan Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 1070
    Im with Wanny on this one.
    Doom3 made me buy my first PC....really hoping for a D4 within the next year or two

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Loved Doom1&2 and the original Quake. everything after that was meh for me. Quake was amazing in it's day. Hmm, if I had to pick one franchise though, I'd say I'd want to see a new Quake. Good single player like Q4 and some Quakey mp goodness.

:pc1:

17. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Hated Doom 3.

Loved Quake 4.

Would love to see i.d focus on a Quake game. But given their track record the last few years, I have zero faith they'd do the franchise justice. Dated engines, dated gameplay, just a dated company that needs to disband.

18. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    I think you're getting confused with Brink, Quake wars was pretty popular and sold well on PC it was one of my favourite MP games for sometime from the moment I played in the beta
    Hell I've not played a game since which actually focuses on teamwork

Personally I've always preferred Quake over Doom

19. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    idk, perhaps I am confusing its reception with that of the console port. Either way, it didn't rank anywhere amongst my favorites in the series and was more of a departure from it.

It is good to see so many Quake fans here though! For some reason I thought Doom would be the pull ahead winner, but so far that's not the case.

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    how about before Quake came out? did you like Doom and Doom 2?