What the Hell Happened to Saving in PC Games?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by StannieDum, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Other than while in a Mission, you can save (or quicksave) anywhere and at anytime in FarCry 3.... I don't mind that setup. What I do dislike is that you can only have 1 SaveGame at a time, which is retarded and means I'm screwed if it gets corrupted and I can't have multiple savepoints throughout the storyline (since I like to go back and replay some of the most fun missions etc...). :/

2. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    This, I freaking hate it when I immerse myself in a game and then do a mistake and die and have to redo a whole freaking sequence of actions 2-3 times...

Quick save should indeed be a must-have.

3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    See, when I'm "immersed" in a game... I'm so into the game I'm not thinking I need to quick save so I don't have to redo this.
    I'm thinking about the game and what's happening. I never found quick save all that useful. Mostly because I always forgot to use it if I was enjoying the game, because I was INTO the game.

4. cjs007

cjs007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    E.V.G.A. 460 / 1gig
    Consoles!!

5. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    the saving option should depends on the game you are playing, it is a bad idea to allow ppl to save anywhere on platformer like Mega Men etc. It is a bad idea to have a bad checkpoint system on an open world game.

(Borderlands 1 and 2 have a good checkpoint mechanics tbh, i don't lose much progression even when i CTD but a save anywhere option would be good since sometimes rl stuff really do pop up now and then in the middle of a mission.).

6. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    I like the Far Cry 3 save system. Also Sleeping Dogs where if you die in a fight the fight restarts. I don't like games such as The Walking Dead where if you die or exit the game at the wrong time you have to sit through long unskippable cutscenes to get back to the action. That to me is simply poor game design.

7. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    As much as i like F5, i think it can be overused..

What happened to the days of NES/SNES when you had 3 lives and no saves? Now that was challenging.

8. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Silly Guru. Your not meant to play these games, your meant to just buy them then go buy the next big game. Otherwise you might get your monies worth. We cant have that, and they make sure of that by not patching the games that need patching the most.

9. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Consoles!!! Burn them in the fire of mount doom!

10. Silent_Takedown

Silent_Takedown Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 WF3
    I'm not sure about this one and by that I mean that I have noticed that automatic/check point saving does appear to be in more PC games but I wasn't too bothered by it in Batman say. Perhaps it's the way games are now? I wouldn't have considered playing Half Life back in the day without F5, knowing the **** was going to hit the fan in a sec and things were going to be intense, so you whacked the F5 button and then would whack it again once you'd cleared the **** from the fan but with the autosave feature, you can't really do that. You'll clear a section, get through by the skin of your teeth, breathe, run round the corner and something will kill you and then it's back to the start of the **** hitting the fan.

I don't think being able to manually save/quick save ruins the tension at all, from my experience, people generally save before the tension and then again after.

11. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    dont forget that it is easy to prevent multiple people from playing our!(your) game with no saving but checkpoints or quicksave quickload etc..

12. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    Some games do it right with the autosave checkpoint system while others just fail miserably. FC3's autosave wasn't too bad but i would have preferred the save game anywhere anytime.

13. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Anytime you have to keep replaying a section over and over and over...the immersion is lost.

Quicksave option should always be available on pc...for those who do not like quicksave....dont use it!

I swear some games say they have a 20 hour sp campaign.....yeah, coz you spend 5 hours on the same damn part! :p

I almost hate no quick save as much as that consolized button smashing crap :thumbdown

We just have to face that even good games now days suffer from some of the console stuff......but that damn button smashing is flipping lame in the biggest of ways.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  14. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    While i dont like the current way games apply saving, I have to say that the saddest form gameplay of todays games is the those missons where to do the same thing over and over like in asscreed such as climbing to the top of building then that eagle sound plays. I remember watching my mate do it like it was the greatest addition to gaming ever. After so many you get rewarded with an achievement, Oooh that was worth it. 100 of them and all you get is an achievement.:thumbup: Price of admission right there.

The day Achievements were introduced gaming took a big nose dive, it just gave developers an excuse to get lazy with gameplay. It annoys me to no end when other gamers get all excited over them, or developers are talking their game up and then whip out how there's all these achievements for players to unlock. They add nothing to gaming what so ever.

I fecken hate that.

15. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    I totally agree and never pay much attention to them....they seem so "baby gamish" :wanker:

16. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    Demon's Crest was considered quite hard on the SNES and you pretty much had infinite lives.

17. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Agree to a point with you on this, but where i dont is basically a 'different games a different time' sorta thing. But if you like you could always go and play STALKER (Sniff, COP was the last one and it rubbish, sniff) and just give yourself three lives then start from the start all over again, plenty of hours to be had there.

Edit: I think just like your standard forms of gameplay elements like HP and Stamina, enemy accuracy an all that, saves and checkpoints need to be treated just as important and as balanced as all other parts of the game. otherwise the rest of the game becomes as balanced as a 90 year old on a tightrope.

Also, the only time a bloke and repetition get along is when it comes to sex, you'll never here a man say 'Ahem, No thanks I think i'll just go read a book or maybe re-gib the walls thanks love'. So c/p and save placement are an art in themselves.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  18. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    Dark Souls saves your game every few seconds lol.

i remember the original far cry, the checkpoint save in that game is pretty good imo. Some games do it well where some games don't

19. Kexzey

Kexzey Guest

GPU:
    XFX GeForce GTX295
    Bethesda seem to be good at games where you save anywhere, just other devs are a tad... checkpointy?

Theres one modern game that I think can be quite challenging in a sense and has this sort of feel.

-The Binding of Isaac (agree/disagree?)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I prefer checkpoints, quick save is for part timers, the only acceptable use is for RPG's.

If the game isn't good enough to replay a section over and over, then it's not a very good game, nothing worse than someone hitting F5 everytime they think a tough bit is coming up.

I remember playing games as a kid, console ones as well and if you died you had to start form the beginning, none of this dumbed down quick save nonsense.