best xp driver for an old X700 mobile

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by par, Mar 30, 2014.

1. par

par Guest

GPU:
    gtx 580
    hi,

I'm a little confused, so I will do it simple smile :)

I was given an old acer notebook (travelmate 4100) that I'm fixing. I installed a normal copy of windows xp pro (not the copy provided by acer).
    the GPU is a X700.

I will use this pc like an htpc, with a 1080p tv. and if it can do, also some games with emulators or some slight indie from steam..

so, what video driver should I install?
    i read a lot about mod driver and official driver mod.. there are something better of catalyst mobile 9.3 that I can install?

THNXXX

2. par

par Guest

GPU:
    gtx 580
    lol ..I talked about (old) emulators or slight indie game.. for serious game I have this:

i.imgur.com/PPGFzsNl.jpg

i.imgur.com/NWU2d7Kl.jpg

i.imgur.com/obgyIqSl.jpg

evga 580 SC + arctic AXP3 + TR VRM-G2 + enzotech heatsink

do you like? :)
    now maybe it's a little old.. but also when i will buy a new vga, my 580 will stay for ever with me :D

coming back in topic... on the travelmate so I switched to win 7 and use the modded catalyst 10.2 , that are the best possibile driver for his old gpu, but it's only for vista/7/8..
    and I also increased the RAM at 2 gb ;)

but thank you anyway :)

3. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    you need at least 4gb for 64bit win 7, 2 will be ok for 32bit.

4. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I might suggest Linux. The open-source radeon driver should work well with that GPU (I'm willing to bet even better than the Windows driver), and should be able to handle general HTPC usage and light gaming without problem. Plus, you don't have to rely on an outdated OS and driver.

For a choice of distro; I'd recommend Lubuntu. It's lightweight and works. If for some reason you have a hard time with audio (Lubuntu uses ALSA directly; Xubuntu and other Ubuntu variants use PulseAudio which can be easier to work with), and/or want something that looks a little better, Xubuntu is a fine choice.

If you know what you're doing with Linux (or are willing to learn), then you could also just go Arch Linux and setup everything however you want yourself and enjoy rolling updates :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014

5. par

par Guest

GPU:
    gtx 580
    obvious . i used win 7 home prem. 32 bit ..

works surprisingly well! :)

oh i tried.. but it was bad. audio always little out sync, and video always scattosi. always. using youtube or similar and also playing .avi videos from main hard disk.
    i tried ubuntu mint debian puppy and also others.. i tried also old kernel version for use the ati driver 9.3.. but not change.. always the same problem, with different linux, with open driver, with ati driver..

anyway i'm very noob about GNU/linux.. maybe there was o solution..

but now i'm full satisfied with win 7 :)

PS

sorry at all for my bad english :)