Win 8 pre-loaded on PCs? WHY?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Pigchild, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    I have noticed that major makers of Laptop and cheap pre-boxed desktop PCs are selling them with Windows 8.

I can see them doing this if the PC comes with a touch screen monitor, but they are doing it with even base model computers which I think is a serious mistake.
    I see Win 8 as more designed for tablets and smart phones. My Nokia 920 phone has Win 8 and with that hardware the OP blows away my old iPhone 4s which I now use as a paper weight.

8 for a desktop or Laptop... I fail to see the point in PC companies doing this. I think Microsoft should not even allow 8 to be sold with basic PC. Doing this will only fuel the Apple fan boy BS.

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Why this surprise you?

3. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    I suppose it surprises me simply because I see no benefit in selling most PC with Windows 8. Unless the goal is to frustrate a novice PC user that will shortly be disappointed and never buy PC again.

So yea, from a business standpoint I think it's an idiotic move by Microsoft. It's a tablet and smart phone, and touch screen OP System, not well suited for a general Laptop or desktop PC.

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I agree, as I have pointed out more than a reasonable number of times :D, but surprisingly my comments of it being an uglier OS, and one that could have been done much better, seems to be overlooked by some people. I am actually someone that welcomes change (not afraid of change like a lot of people), but only if that change is to something better. The new Windows UI is not better. Even if you find it functional, the fact remains it is droll. Has anyone here seen Office 2013? it's so droll it would actually reduce productivity in the workplace. The only real colour in Office 2013 is the coloured highlights (which is different for each program). This colour highlight looks really bad in powerpoint, you are face with a completely beige interface (like the old computer cases) with this hideous bright orange highlight. It might be functional, but it really does look like a snorefest.

Windows 8 is a missed opportunity for Microsoft, and I really don't know how Office 2013 passed the developers. I guess it's because they wanted something that won't go out of style, since what is drab will always be drab!

Windows 8 ships with new PC's because of a few reasons. The first is hype. Windows 8 is new so people want it, it's riding on the success of Windows 7. Secondly, Microsoft obviously aren't issuing licenses for Windows 7 any more, meaning Windows 8 is a necessity, not an option. Thirdly, the second point helps increase the Windows 8 uptake, which makes it look good in terms of sales.

Regardless of what someone said in reply to this in another thread, Microsoft made Windows 8 look like it does on PC to help sales of Surface and Phones, through uniformity in the way the OS looks. They said this, and it makes sense. It's why desktop PC's have a Windows Phone interface. Yes, I said it, and it's true! Metro is just a slightly altered version of the old FAILURE Windows Phone 7 UI. This is PROOF, along with there actual claims, that they are using desktop PC's to help phone sales, since Windows Phone 8 UI is very similar to the 7 UI, which failed because nobody liked it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2012

5. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    microsoft could make it so your could use you webcam for motion gesture to use the start manu and such

but they wont cause it would be based on the same code for the kinetic

they could make it so you could use the kinetic to use the start menu

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Where do you get this :3eyes:? MS allowed OEMs to sell XP until 10/2010 and Vista until 10/2011. So Windows 7 is going to continue being sold for quite a while as well. MS also offered 8 users the option to "downgrade" to 7 if they so wished.

http://www.neowin.net/news/dell-will-keep-selling-windows-7-pcs-after-windows-8-launch

7. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    and you still can buy licenses from amazon starting with windows 3.1

although they charge way too much more older os

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Ah ok! I heard Microsoft weren't going to do that with Windows 8. It seems they are doing it only with large businesses though, so maybe Microsoft has an exclusion for business PC's or something? (through licensing this restriction can be done quite easily).

9. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    I think 8 is a fine OS, but really should have been marketed for only tablets and smart phones. You said people didn't like the Windows 7 for smart phone?

I dissagree. The few people that did have a good Windows 7 phone liked the OS very much. Prior to Windows phone I had a high end Galaxy (I returned that Android phone because the OP system was so messed up.)

Then had an Apple i4s (thats a work issued phone and I use it to make calls and for a paper weight because the OS is so lame.)

2 years ago I tried the LG Windows 7 phone and loved it. It thinks like the human brain thinks. It never failed or locked up. Super Ease of use, yet more feature packed than the other smart phones I had prior.

Now with Windows 8 on my new Nokia 920 the sky is the limit. The 8 OP system on this Nokia phone is near flawless and makes my friends iphone 5 look like a toy for teenaged girls. I love not being itunes dependant with all their BS user names and passwords for every single thing I want to do.

Windows 8 will fail for PC, but no question will hit a home run for tablets and phones. All I can say to Android and IOS lovers is to simply try Win 8 on a good phone for just two weeks. They will never go back to return it.

10. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    So they can charge you more to put Win7 back on it...

11. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    All things being equal, Pigchild, EVERY new computer built after a release of ANY operating system is going to have that operating system on it.

Microsoft, no matter how much some people hate it, decided to unify their OS architecture across the board, so you can have the same experience on your Nokia 920 and whatever W8 tablet you might own, to your new laptop and now desktop.

On the business side, it makes perfect sense. They no longer have to have 5 development departments for different operating systems. R&D, being the largest money-pit for any corporation, just got cut to 1/5 of what it used to be.

As for your comment on novice users, that's actually quite the opposite of reality.
    It's SEASONED, VETERAN users like you and I (and the rest of this forum) that will have the hardest time adjusting to the new OS due to a strange learning curve that WE aren't used to. Any NEW user would be able to adapt to it's functionality right away because they're not hung up on the fact that "there's no Start Menu anymore".
    The new OS is very quick, sleek and optimized - specifically for touch, which is almost the absolute norm nowadays. Any kid can pick up a tablet and without any instruction, figure out exactly how it works... this is precisely what Microsoft wants for their future - ease of use.

While you and I may not agree with what they've done, most everything they've done in W8 is exactly where they need to be to remain on the top of the only game they have... Operating Systems.

Oh, and by the way, there's ALWAYS a way to simply pull the HDD out of the new computer and slip your old one in and take off on that new hardware just like it never changed - only it's faster, as well as the fact that you'll be able to purchase new Windows 7 licenses for many years to come.

Psychlone

12. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    This may come as a surprise to you but Microsoft is actually a company that develops and sells software & hardware to make money.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Except that Microsoft doesn't develop hardware....

14. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    well supposedly they developed the MS keyboards and mice, Flight sticks, gamepads..etc for over a decade. Unless you meant manufacture, I don't think they ever manufactured such themselves, but who does?

15. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Also the Surface for a more recent one.
    And that early-aborted phone (or was it a tablet?) that MS & Motorola (I think?) had a joint project with which name escapes me.

16. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I had a MS flightstick, it was awesome. And that gamepad they made back in the late 90's or 00's..was it called Wingman? the weird gamepad that had a swivel in the middle, you could rotate the right side of the pad around in a sorry attempt to simulate the mouse...it was interesting, they changed it a number of times until the 360 pad.

17. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    IIRC, isn't Wingman from Logitech?
    Or was it something else...dunno, really.
    Haven't been using a flightstick ever since Wing Commander IV; Star Citizen can't come any faster.