GeForce 4/FX -> Quadro 4/FX : The complete how-to

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by clokkevi, Jul 3, 2004.

1. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    If it works fine for you, then by all means enjoy it. ;)
    Otherwise, for a perfect mod with 53.03 that will work well with ANY Pro 3D app (Maya, Houdini, Unigraphics, ProEngineer, Catia...) you will need to resolder some resistors on the GPU. That will also allow you to complete all the Specviewperf tests without crashing.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2004
  2. laufer

laufer Guest

yes i know.

Ill keep dose drivers by now.

But has anyone tryed 43.03 modifying them the recognice Q1100, does it work fine?.

Smoe testing done:

Maya 5 its working, 3dsmax 5 with the standart opengl its working to.

Havent done any intensive testing......but, I loaded big scenes from work, all seems fine .... mmmm .... does the lookups start from the beginig of the sesion, or maybe can appear when the computer its been working some hours?

Im runing AMD64 3200 winxp sp2
    1gig of ram
    asus fx 5700 256 mb ---- softquadro fx 1100
    53.03 forceware drivers + rivatuner2 15.2 + nvhard2.1

I do run rhino alot "8 houers every day" whit lots of geometry and neever crashed.

Wierd isnt it?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2004
  3. ssuja

ssuja Guest

laufer
    you use 53.03 forceware drivers + rivatuner2 15.2 + nvhard2.1
    what to you use nvhard2.1 for?
    maybe this helped you do the impossible

4. laufer

laufer Guest

Nothig special, i activate all the coolbits, and did the performance wizar.

5. treed

treed Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 560 TI 2GB
    Ok, I'm really excited about doing this it's just I don't know which drivers to install. Right now I have 61.82 drivers installed. I'm just not sure if I should put the 45.28 like everyone is talking about because I have a 6800 GT. Anyone know which ones I need to put on? :) And also wouldn't be card softmod into a quadro fx 4000? Ohh and one more thing, can revert my card back to the normal 6800 GT and not quadro if I want?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  6. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    You cannot softmod a 6800 into Quadro (yet).

7. devirly

devirly Guest

Run All Summary

---------- SUM_RESULTS\3DSMAX\SUMMARY.TXT
    3dsmax-02 Weighted Geometric Mean = 23.65

---------- SUM_RESULTS\DRV\SUMMARY.TXT
    drv-09 Weighted Geometric Mean = 140.8

---------- SUM_RESULTS\DX\SUMMARY.TXT
    dx-08 Weighted Geometric Mean = 125.9

---------- SUM_RESULTS\LIGHT\SUMMARY.TXT
    light-06 Weighted Geometric Mean = 28.23

---------- SUM_RESULTS\PROE\SUMMARY.TXT
    proe-02 Weighted Geometric Mean = 27.58

---------- SUM_RESULTS\UGS\SUMMARY.TXT
    ugs-03 Weighted Geometric Mean = 9.731

Everything looks Ah O.K. except for the ugs numbers. Is there any way of getting higher ugs numbers? Or am i just one of the less fortunate people who have to suffer with this low ugs number? Vertical sync is off.

8. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    To get high UGS, you will need to move resistors (resolder) on the GPU itself in order to make it into a NV35GL.

9. Samiam

Samiam Member Guru

GPU:
    4G DDR2
    Yes, that's weird. Have you run RT diagnostigs to see what chip you're configured with? It should be an NV36...

Also, are you running the 5700 or the 5700LE?

I'm also a Maya user and considering soft modding a 5700 if possible.

10. treed

treed Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 560 TI 2GB
    Damnit! Someone needs to come out with a way to SoftMod the 6800 cards into Quadro FX 4000. They did it with the 5900 cards to make them fx 3000, whats so different about these cards? I want better performance with max. :D

11. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    Well, if you need it that badly, why don't you roll up your sleeves and start learning the fine art of software/hardware hacking? :p
    And don't forget to report and post the recipe when you're done. :D

12. Rectifier

Rectifier Active Member

GPU:
    MSI HD3870-OC
    At least some of us are actually tying it...

Oh, and, Don't worry about the recepy :)

13. 3dmind

3dmind Guest

ok, I have 2 questions.

1) What about converting a Geforce FX 5700 GO of my laptop into quadro, is it possible ?

2) can I convert my Geforce 9800 GT into quadro ?

thx in advance

14. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    1) maybe, but no success was reported here so far.

2) not yet

15. L Flo

L Flo Guest

Hello, Everyone!
    Please excuse my poor english.

I have a problem with my GeForce FX 5600 VIVO 128 RAM, made by InnoVision.

I have patched and installed the 42.51 drivers, like clokkevi say to do, step by step, carrefully.
    And my FX 5600 has become a Quadro FX 500, BUT with some problems:

1. In the Display Properties, video board appears Quadro FX 500, but the GPU is NV31M.
    2. I have acces in OpenGL tab on some professional features like "Use unified back/depth buffer", "Enable Overlays", "Maximize texture memory", but it seems that's not work properly.
    3. I have instaled with no problems MAXtreme 6.00.07.00. but I have poor performances in 3D Studio Max 6.
    4. In Combustion 3, the differences between OpenGL hardware acceleration and software acceleration, was just about 1 frame!!!

Please, could anybody help me?
    Perhaps there is a solution to correctly transform this FX 5600 into a real Quadro FX.
    Many thanks!

16. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    Only GeForce 5200 cards should be modded into Quadro FX 500!
    FX 5600 should be moded to either NV31GL reference card or a Quadro FX 700Go.

17. Proupin_37

Proupin_37 Guest

Hi there... this thread seems dead, I hope clokkevi or someone reads this! Sorry, it ended up quite long (I'm a pretty curious person)

First of all, I'm supposed to be an animator :p so I don't know about modding at all, so please just understand...

I've been unable to perform a softmod on the Geforce FX 5200 GO (a laptop GPU - Windows XP-SP2), and I wonder why. Here are my guesses:

-First and foremost: when I uninstall the current drivers on step 1b, if FORCES me to restart. On restart, disregarding the crappy performance because Windows is runnign with no driver at all, installing the 42.51 drivers (step 1c) doesn't seem to help at all.

-I've revised the IDs and in the list neither appear the Geforce 5200FX Go nor its Quadro counterpart (Quadro4 500 GoGL, right??). As a matter of fact, the Geforce FX 5200 doesn't appear on the list either. :rolleyes: Shoudn't this present a problem?

-I've found a list of DeviceIDs (http://www.pcidatabase.com/vendor_details.php?id=606 ), and the 5200FX Go doesn't appear... does anyone know this particular deviceID and how to add it to the 'nv4_disp.inf' file? There IS the Quadro Device ID:

Chip Number: NV17M-GL
    Chip Description: Quadro4 500 GoGL

should I add this as a new line?:...
    NVidia.Nv17M-GL = "Quadro4 500 GoGL"
    ... or modify the 'NVidia.Nv31GL.1' line like clokkevi states in the extra trick??:
    NVidia.Nv31GL.1 = "Quadro4 500 GoGL"

-After I installed the unpatched drivers, I installed the new patched ones, and well, the display turns like 4 bit 600x400, or worse -:( plain black screen. From that point, the only thing I can do is restart in Safe Mode and reinstall the old drivers.

With that says, what I think is we :p need a revision of the how-to so it takes into account the Geforce Go Family.

If any of these were answered I think we would all benefit from this knowledge!!

Bye!

18. bakbek

bakbek New Member

GPU:
    Gainward FX 5700 LE
    no "NVStrap driver" tab !!!

I Can't see the "NVStrap driver" tab in stage (6) i did all the things up to that point...

i have a Gainward FX 5700 LE and after installing the 45.28 drivers i have a "The drivers for this device are not installed (code 28)" message in the device manager

what should i do... ???

19. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800UltraOC 256MB AGP @ QFX4000
    If you succeeded, please let us know. Somehow I once modded my GeForce4 440Go into a Quadro4 500GL on a Toshiba Satellite 5100 laptop (very stable ), but I can't seem to repeat it now. I need the mod so I can enable "unified back buffer". Looks like we need the SoftQuadro script to be modified to include mobile GPUs. I heard unwinder did not want to develop SQ4 anymore, but any pointers?

Thanks

20. Proupin_37

Proupin_37 Guest

After posting this thread I realised I knew little about what I was doing, so I pretty much answered all my questions myself with losta test-n-error (it was a pain in the ass I must say):

-Slartibartfast, there's a big chance that you could actually softMod it, because:
    1) the RT SoftQuadro patch contemplates NV17 GPUs.
    2) it has a NV17 Quadro counterpart, unlike 5200 and 5700 which are NV34, and there are no NV34 Quadros : ((

Now, if you check the driver 'nv4_disp.inf' file, you will see no records to any Go GPU (in fact, not even the desktop GF 5200 is there). You can try using the modified 42.51 "INF" following this link (**************.com):

http://www.**************.com/pages/modifyinf40.htm

I'm pretty sure that's what you did when you made it work.

Tell me what driver version you used and see if it works for me as well, thing I really doubt.

This is for free and might be unnacurate, but these are the 'Go' GPUs that in my opinion are Soft-Quadrable:

GeForce4 440 Go/GeForce4 420 Go/Geforce4 460 Go ---------> Quadro4 500 GoGL
    GeForce4 4200 Go --------> Quadro 700 GoGL (this looks mighty Quadrable)
    GeForce FX Go 5600 and 5650 -------> Quadro FX Go700

Please don't refrain from reporting your results!