Overclocking GTX 470 issue

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Arctic, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Arctic

Arctic Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 470 1280MB
    Hello fellas, I'm having some troubles overclocking my GTX 470. The stock speeds are 607 MHz core, 1215 MHz shader and 3348 MHz memory(http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/ENGTX470G2DI1280MD5). I'm aiming to 700 MHz on core and 3400 MHz on memory. I know memory doesn't increase fps in games that's why I almost haven't touch it and I know it does some issues sometimes. First I tried at stock voltage but it wasn't stable. I had a very, very weird problem. My CPU(not cores) went up to 110-120 degrees, that's what it was showing after 30-40 minutes playing World of Warcraft. When I opened RealTeamp the cores were 55-60 degrees. Then I tried to find someone with GTX 470 overclocked to 700 core to see what are his voltages because as far as I saw I should be able to run it on stock voltages. Later I bumped them up to 1.025(i think, not 100 percent sure). I am playing WoW without any problems but when I started Battlefield 3, it gave me BSOD with code 124 which must be vcore problem but it can't be. Later I bumped it up to 1.037v and everything was fine till I started BF3 again, this time the game stopped working, not BSOD or anything, just the game stopped working. I am using ASUS SmartDoctor to overclock it, it's very simple. How is possible to can't run 700 MHz core on 1.037v when other guys run their on stock voltage, even on higher frequency. I have done a lot of tests for CPU stability, it can't be low cpu voltage.

My rig:
    CPU: Intel Q6600 3,6 Ghz 1.40v (9x400)
    Mobo: ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP @n
    GPU: ASUS GTX 470
    RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x2 Kit 4GB 1600Mhz
    Two HDDs: Main 250GB(forgot the model) and another Samsung 1TB
    Fans: One on the side, one for exhaust, ASUS turbine cooling the chipset
    Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 PWM with better fan
    Mouse: A4Tech X7 X-705K
    Keyboard: A4 Tech X7 G800MU
    Monitor: ViewSonic VA1903wb (1440x900)

2. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Good info here for 470 OC

IIRC my old EVGA did 800MHz stable with 1.087v, it’s only running stock now as it’s in my son’s machine... but if needed for testing I can crank it back up.

3. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I head of people getting their 470 to over 900mhz on the core.
    I'm only in a slightly better boat than you Arctic. Mine is really bad with voltage, I instantly get problems at 1.087. I stick with 750 mhz core 0.975 voltage. Pretty much my max without artifacting.

4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    It's possible because every GPU is different. For GPU's, there really aren't any tricks to overclocking using the standard tools. You find the highest stable clock and voltage combination and that is what you have. Something else that can cause issues is using to many monitoring tools at the same time. BIOS overclocking is better than using software via Windows for the motherboard.

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What makes you so sure it's not the CPU?

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I wish I still had mine. Ran it at 915/4400 24/7 on air. Volts were 1.175. On cold days I could run 950ish at 1.2 volts. That card was beast, wish I still had it. Friend killed it when he was borrowing.

OP vid cards don't cause a 124 bsod. Sounds like you have a unstable system, ram/cpu

7. Arctic

Arctic Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 470 1280MB
    I will run Prime95 once again for CPU and RAM, about GPU, I ran OCCT and it was stable.

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Yeah, x124 is a sign of CPU undervoltage, graphic cards shouldn't cause that.

My 470 could do 700 at .91V; never tried pushing it higher.

9. Arctic

Arctic Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 470 1280MB
    There's something really weird here. I cleared CMOS cuz I thought there's a glitch/bug or something. I overclocked the card to 700 mhz while the CPU was fully stock(nothing changed in BIOS). It was stable and nothing was strange. After 30 min test I entered the BIOS and fixed everything. CPU frequency to 3,6 Ghz, this time I was running my RAM at 1:1 800MHz. The card was still overclocked to 700 MHz because ASUS SmartDoctor startup with the overclock. Some glitch appeared and my motherboard was showing -54 degrees in PC Probe and 44545446 degrees in Speedfan. When I set it to stock speed and restarted my PC, everything was normal. I had another graphic cards and all of them were overclocked. This one seems to make problems always when I overclock it.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Jesus how many different monitoring/overclocking apps do you have installed?

Get rid of all that crap software - your BIOS and MSI Afterburner are the only tools you need for overclocking....and maybe either AIDA64 or HWiNFO64 or CoreTemp for system info.

Using a whole bunch of different apps can cause conflicts and ties up the CPU unnecessarily.

Btw BF3 often locks up CPU's that appear to be stable. No idea why, it just does.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013

11. Arctic

Arctic Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 470 1280MB
    I was using only ASUS SmartDoctor cause it's program given with the GPU and I thought it's better. I have MSI Afterburner for OSD but I'll try to overclock from it. Deleted SmartDoctor and ASUS GamerOSD.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    all those programs should not be run at the same time. 0124 is likely an unstable oc or not enough vcore.

13. Arctic

Arctic Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 470 1280MB
    I am not running them all in the same time. Anyway I tried to overclock it with MSI Afterburner, I got a lot of errors in OCCT GPU stability.

14. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I think it may be a PSU problem, you mentioned that at stock CPU you could overclock the 470GTX to 7000MHz without issue, but when increasing the CPU overclock to 3.6GHz the 470GTX becomes unstable.

Not sure which PSU you have but if it is a multi rail design and aged 3-4 years it may not be providing proper Amps at 12v.

Your CPU is probably pulling 16-19 Amps and your 470GTX 18+ Amps, check the Amp output on your PSU.

15. Arctic

Arctic Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 470 1280MB
    My PSU is Chieftec CFT-750-14CS. It has 4 rails with 18 amps and it has SLI certificate as far as I see. It must handle overclocked GTX 470. It has one 8 pin PCI-E connector and 3 6 pin PCI-E connectors.

Check it here -> http://www.chieftec.com/images/super-power_06.jpg

16. rflair

GPU:
    5700XT
    It is a good PSU.

You have to remember that like most PSU vendors they are liberal when it comes to the specs; your PSU for example is rated at a max of 720 watts across all 12v rails, a little bit of simple math and we come to 60 Amps or 15 Amps per rail, not the 18 Amps on the sticker.

Since most multi rail designs are really just a single rail with over voltage protection on each virtual rail there is some leeway in the Amps allowed to each rail, hence the 18 Amps on the sticker.

Add the age of your PSU and overclocking here and there combined with the multi rail voltage protection and you could run into some problems.

For me personally I always recommend PSU with one strong single rail design.

All in all I am just speculating from what you have posted is happening and the equipment in your PC.

17. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    I keep everything on auto on my two 470s. I use the older version of eVGA precision to OC. My run up to 780 before I see artifacts. The precision I use doesn't provide volts info. But I would imagine you should get more out of your card.

18. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    No, it's not. Chieftec supplies are abysmal. It's most likely the culprit here. I might be thinking of a different brand though. I know there's a Chief something operating out of Europe that makes good stuff, and there's another one that's just terrible. I'm sure someone here knows.

19. rflair

GPU:
    5700XT
    OK its crap. :)

20. Arctic

Arctic Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 470 1280MB
    Especially this Chieftec model is not a crap as I've readed before, it's CWT unit or something like that. They said it's similar to Corsair 750 but I don't remember which model exactly. Anyway I'm gonna reinstall my windows soon because it has so much bull**** and viruses and I'll see what will happen then. It has to be something from the CPU/RAM because at stock CPU frequency I can overclock the card without errors in OCCT GPU Test. Thanks to everyone for their replies, noone had this weird problem so it's cpu/ram problem and I hope it's not PSU.