Frame skipping nightmare!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Fromd, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Fromd

Fromd Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX680 Lightning
    Hello!

Ive been having this problem for half a year now, spending more time trying to fix it, than actually gaming, which i made the computer for.

It started when i decided to upgrade a pre-buildt desktop i bought last year. original idea was to build a pc with an SLI-setup. So i bought a new case, a new motherboard(MSI z77ma-g45) and a new PSU(Corsair TX850 v2) (Bear in mind its the first time im assembling myself). After i assembled it, i did the essential stuff like reinstalling windows, updating drivers, chipset etc. But from the moment i launched the first game on it, i noticed it had some kind of constant frame skipping/stutter which was completely gamebreaking for me, its like im running with 30 fps or so even though im waaay above 60 in most games, regardless i get it in each and all of my games. Since then, the search for a solution began. Tried all kinds of different driver versions i a mix. Also tried fixes for games individually just to make sure. Reinstalled windows at least five times. After that, i started sending the hardware to RMA.
    Started with the motherboard, then the GPU. Later i bought new RAM to replace the old ones and even bought another motherboard to fit the new CPUs socket which i also recently replaced. After all this, i'm still getting the frame skipping, and i really have no idea about what to do. The only thing i havent tested properly is the PSU, but ive read in many forums, that it couldnt be the cause of something like that.

Please! Any help appreciated!

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
  3. bdub5886

bdub5886 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming
    You may also be having alot of framerate variance that could cause it to stutter. Have you tried capping the framerate with software like Afterburner?

4. Fromd

Fromd Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX680 Lightning
    Alright, so after running this program for about 4 mins i get this:

"Your system seems to have difficulty handling real-time audio and other tasks. You may experience drop outs, clicks or pops due to buffer underruns. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable cpu throtling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates."

Done the BIOS disables and flashes but still nothing.

5. Fromd

Fromd Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX680 Lightning
    Yes i have, used to help with my old pc but not this...

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    What did you do?

7. Fromd

Fromd Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX680 Lightning
    Tried to disable energy saving stuff and eist in bios, maximum performance in control panel and flashed BIOS right away when i installed the new mb.

Btw this is what it says

[​IMG]

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    maybe try disabling your on board sound, if that works buy a dedicated sound card

9. Fromd

Fromd Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX680 Lightning
    Tried it earlier, and double checked just now. Unfortunately no difference.

10. Fromd

Fromd Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX680 Lightning
    Is there something else i could try to fix this?

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Looks like you may have a troubled hard drive and/or USB device.
    Download HDTune and check the Health tab for each drive.

Unplug any USB devices you dont need to run Latencymon, then run it again.
    ie
    Unplug all USB pens, drives etc.
    Unplug keyboard, test using mouse to start it.
    Then unplug mouse, test using keyboard to start it.

12. Fromd

Fromd Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX680 Lightning
    Well i dont know if this is relevant, but i can actually run Latencymon for an hour without any errors but as soon try refresh my browser, i get the error right away.

Btw got a video example of my frame skipping here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhZSOzquWQs&feature=plcp

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Are you after help or a chat? :p
    I get nowhere near the latency issues you have, even when running a game.

14. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Ok from the sound of it I suspect one of these possibilities:
    1) You RMAd your hardware, they found nothing and you received your faulty hardware back.
    2) Something really small is causing the issue, anything from a HDD to any peripheral things like your mouse etc.
    3) Software related issue.
    4) PSU? I don't really know..

Anyhow, what I would do in your place is, get myself a HDD I know works, disconnect EVERYTHING non-essential (sound card, GPU (if you have onboard), storage drives you don't need for testing, just everything you possibly can).
    The only thing I would have connected is just a very basic keyboard and mouse, the simpler in design the better (I bet you have a 2€ mouse or something lying around).
    Download all the drivers from the manufacturers sites (e.g. if your GPU is manufactured by Asus, get their driver, not from ati directly), format the HDD you know works and do a fresh install of windows. Install only the drivers, no windows updates just disable/ignore that BS and install test software one by one just to make sure. Starting with anything you like, maybe HDtune.
    Obviously you need to install the game as your first thing, and do an initial benchmark with that.

Work step by step from there.

Ooooor if you have access to the steam linux beta, just skip all this and download linuxmint, ubuntu or whatever distro you prefer (linuxmint cinnamon probably the most windows like and easy to use) and test the game there to rule out any software problems. Seems perfect since TF2 is on steam linux.
    You could also try other games on linux if the problem appears in every game.
    I don't know why but somehow I have the feeling this might be caused by your HDD.

15. bdub5886

bdub5886 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming
    Since its not a frame cap issue. I would suggest what Mufflore said. Download HDtune and run a smart scan if you have not already.

16. Fromd

Fromd Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX680 Lightning
    So now ive spend the whole day doing Mufflore Naike's suggestions but i still get the high latencies.. Absolutely no progress at all. Thanks for the suggestions though.

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Without knowing exactly what you did and the results, its impossible for us to determine anything.
    I asked you to diagnose the system.

18. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Try going to the administrative tools control panel --> services, and disable the Intel Matrix Storage Manager service. It can cause slow hard drive performance and stuttering in games, I wouldn't do this if you're running a RAID setup though.

19. Fromd

Fromd Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX680 Lightning
    Sorry for being so slow, appreciate your help! Well, started by doing full scans and health checks, with HD Tune, on both my SSD and my HDD. Both came out with no errors and an "ok" status. After that i disconnected everything non essential hardware(HDD, DVD drives, USB on the case etc. only a simple mouse and keyboard connected, DVI and internet cable) and did a fresh install of windows on the SSD (I dont have any other HDDs i can test on, unfortunately) and only installed tf2, the latest and most necessary drivers (from MSI site). And installed them one at the time, testing out the game every time. Then after that, just to make sure i also did a test with each ram stick, one at the time, connected.

I do however get this result with latencymon now:
    [​IMG]

But i still get the stutters

20. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    That's how it looks to me as well, and I have no problems what so ever.

Do you have any possibility to test your GPU on another computer or use another GPU in your system?