Mass Effect driver problems.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by KevRus, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz

That sounds like an overclocking problem or something set wrong in the bios (maybe memory timings). Of course I have no idea if you've even changed any of those but it's just a suggestion. :)

2. THEBIG360

THEBIG360 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Phantom 670's SLI
    Lol lookng at google for the answer for you as my retail version works awesome with new drivers. And guess what? When i search for your issue it comes back with site forums such as mininova and other various torrent sites all having issues. Not saying your copy isn't legit but im struggling to find a solution other than DRM issue.

3. BrainDedd

BrainDedd Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1070 OC
    Doesn't really matter if I run stock or not, I've tried. The only thing I can think of now is a new GPU. As I said, setting texture settings lower only makes the game crash slower.

Edit: And with 177.83 it doesn't even start.

4. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    Sounds like a defective card to me.

5. BrainDedd

BrainDedd Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1070 OC
    I'd agree with you if everything else didn't run 100%

6. KevRus

KevRus New Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 512 (G92)
    Well I have the 8800GTS 512 G92, which isn't the same card as some other users having trouble.

I assure you, my copy of Mass Effect is completely legit.

I don't overclock and I'm not having any overheating issues.

My card isn't defective because the 175.19 drivers work fine and all of my other games work fine.

I reinstalled Windows and am currently installing Mass Effect. Hopefully it will work on a fresh install of Windows XP?

Also, could it really be a DRM issue if the 175.19 drivers work flawlessly? :/

7. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    I just got my first crash with the new physx drivers 177.83 on Mass effect. Everything got black but I could still hear the sound.. I rma my old gtx, when I got my new one I noticed it had a different bios than my previous one. Something strange, with my old card I was able to enable AA through nvidia CP and use AA in mass effect. Now I clearly cannot.. MAybe drivers related or bios, I don't know? The new effects are cool. It plays harder now in some areas I noticed, but thats to be expected when running physics correct? I'm sure it will stop crashing or whatevers with new drivers, mine was a very strange crash, everything slowed down an I was unable to close out. I had to reset my pc from the front.

Owe, this happened after I installed the 1.01a patch also..? That could be it too?

8. Weesni

Weesni Master Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3080 M10G
    I also had crashes with all drivers over 175.19 in ME.

But now i have copied the physxloader.dll from my windows\system32 dir to
    programs\Mass Effect\Binaries and the game have much more fps and
    had not any crash for 3 hours playtime now....

I use the 177.83 + physx 08.08.01 btw.

Also worked on MOH Airborne and also there your must change the ini to
    bDisablePhysXHardwareSupport=False if the value was "true"

9. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    Very interesting, I've got to try that now.

10. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    Could be a SecuROM related crash. The version of SecuROM installed with GRID 1.1 patch, Mass Effect and C&C Kanes Wrath (maybe other games too) can cause a right-click context menu crash in explorer and some games to crash. The file responsible is named CMDLineExt.dll and can be found in System 32 folder. If you delete the file it will be recreated at reboot. Some users have reportedly fixed the problem with a registry cleaner. I used a different method I posted in the following thread.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=270437

11. zeljkoni

zeljkoni Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX660 twin frozr OC
    copyng physxloader.dll did not help, game creshed on save game load and sad some file is missing......

tested a bit more: game only crash in the open on planet, so definetly it has something to do with physics

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  12. zeljkoni

zeljkoni Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX660 twin frozr OC
    problem solved just installed 177.89 and it worx no problem with enebled physix
    only diferency i sow its whan you shot in the dirt there is particles....

13. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Ive had some luck getting ME to run stable if I delete everything EXCEPT my save folder in the C:\Documents and Settings\<Profile name>\My Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect folder.

Let the Config program run and rebuild all the INI files.

Not a magic bullet, but it does seem to help.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  14. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Interesting. Will try copying the file.

My bDisablePhysXHardwareSupport was already = False. Makes me think that deleting all the INI's and letting them auto-rebuild after installing the Physx pack may actually be the right thing to do.

15. PKOneTwo

PKOneTwo Active Member

GPU:
    Gainward 9800GTX+ OC 512M
    Tried new 177.92 (with new physx driver).
    Game won't start (general protection failure, again).

I really don't get it: 177.41 no problem, EVERY driver upwards: game crashes at start (windows error, no BSOD). I would like to know what they have changed, that can cause such a an error.

16. PKOneTwo

PKOneTwo Active Member

GPU:
    Gainward 9800GTX+ OC 512M
    I used to have the "/3GB switch" in my boot.ini.
    Everything did work fine with drivers till 177.41.
    With drivers above 177.41 (like 117.83, 177.92) I got crashes (windows errors). Now I deleted the "/3GB" option from the boot.ini and everythings working fine (also Mass Effect).

IMPORTANT for People, who don't hav any crashes:
    - does someone else have this switch installed ???
    - and What other options so you have (like USERVA) ???

17. Templ

Templ Guest

I believe this problem only exists on some WinXP machines. There seem to be no issues with Win Vista.

18. projectx

projectx Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX570 / BFG GTX285
    i can support the claim that this might be an xp problem, as mass effect wont run on xp sp3 (with 177.xx drivers), but run completely fine on vista. had this problem for a while now, but i gave up on it and played it in vista

19. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    /3GB switch is for XP RAM. It has nothing to do with games!
    You fixed your problem some other way, you just don't realise this. It doesn't matter what driver version you use, /3GB switch has nothing to do with it. Read up and stop posting rubbish everywhere PKOneTwo

Maybe your 2nd stick of RAM is stuffed. Install drivers in Safe Mode and get a new PSU!

20. Templ

Templ Guest

The 177.41 works perfectly for me in XP. It's the newer versions that don't work. Vista doesn't have this problem at all.

I think we're finally reaching the point where Vista is being less of a hassle than XP. It was the same with Win98/XP.