Athlon XP Overclocking Guide

Discussion in 'Links' started by WildStyle, Jul 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. izikog

izikog Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950@70 910/1400
    hm...tks...best answer! i get from all forums
    no my multiplier is locked and for fsb@200 hm i am having problems with cooling without extra vcore...i have a gigabyte 3d cooler and 2 aditional case fans and at idle i have 47C and 52C when under stress...and i am sure that the cooler is mounted in the best possible way...boo

2. izikog

izikog Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950@70 910/1400
    My multipler is locked so I tried to change fsb to 200 and i raised vcore first by 5% then 7,5% and at last 10% (as my mobo supports only these three values for raising vcor) but my pc does not boot with eny of these changes... when rebooting changes fsb and vcore to last working values... is this problem connected with vcore that processor does not get enought power?

please suggest which chipset/mobo is the best for amd xp so if I am going to change my mobo I will not make again the same mistake that I buy something not good for o/c

3. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Okay well that basically means either your CPU can't handle those kinda clock speeds, or it's gonna need one hell of a lot of vcore to get there (more than you can offer.) To be honest I think it'd be good to sell your chip and get an XP-M so play around with. Seeing as they don't have a locked multi, you wouldn't need to change the mobo as you could just run a 200FSB. However, if you wanted to change mobo to a good nforce2 and were serious about overclocking the the DFI Infinity is class, or alternatively an NF7-S from Abit. I'd prefer the DFI, but some of the options in the BIOS are meant for the more experienced tweaker shall we say... in other words, it's a bit more hardcore than the Abit.

4. branko47049

branko47049 Master Guru

GPU:
    G-A NX88T512H-B 512MB
    hi
    I have AMD Athlon xp paolomono 1800+ 0.18technology...
    Mobo;G-a 7vrx fsb <266 Ddr <333 chipset KT333
    Ram PQI pc2100
    Temperature 50 C at4600rpm
    I H`ve tried to o/c but there was the blue screen,everybody says that Paolomino sucks...
    I h`ve checked in the bios I can`t change the multypler
    but there is jumpers on mainboard.Is it worth to try get berrer of my PC
    or whats the problem with it what do i have to change

5. branko47049

branko47049 Master Guru

GPU:
    G-A NX88T512H-B 512MB
    Oh I`ve forgot Vcore normal in bios
    But its1.76v

6. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    You don't really have any components there which are 'overclock - friendly.'
    By saying that, what I mean is your CPU is a Pally which overclock badly because of their 1.75v default vcore and 0.18 manufacturing process which was halted after the 2100+ because AMD had to redesign the core to a 0.13 version (Tbred) to get more MHz out of their CPU's.
    The RAM you have is PC2100, so that's already in sync with your FSB, meaning when you overclock the FSB, you will also be overclocking the RAM and generally, normal RAM doesn't overclock too well.
    Another thing is your mobo. It's a KT333 chipset, and thus doesn't have a PCI/AGP frequency lock. This means if your PCI bus goes way out of range, you could be risking data corruption on your HDD's and problems with PCI cards such as sound cards. Also by having the AGP freq. too high, you could damage the video card.

Now, when you say your tried to overclock, what exactly did you change? I'm sure you could push to 137 or 140FSB, but I wouldn't expect much more... and your temps are already quite; well, not high, but not the best shall we say.

Oh and yes you could try and increase the multi by 0.5x and see how it goes using the jumpers on your mobo. If it's unstable, you can always put it back.

7. branko47049

branko47049 Master Guru

GPU:
    G-A NX88T512H-B 512MB
    Thanks for your time WildStyle; Now
    1.What Cpu do you recomended <1800+
    2.And does Gigabyte good brand for o/c do should i teke NF2 shipset
    3.Is my CPU Fan good at 4600 rpm

8. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    1) What CPU depends on a few things. What do you use your comp for? How much do you want to spend? Do you intend to overclock?
    2) NF2 chipset yes, I'm not too familar with Giga boards myself, so I would say Asus/Abit/DFI....
    3) That RPM sounds good, but you also should take into consideration the size of the fan. It may have a high RPM but a 60mm fan running @4000RPM will push less air than a 92mm fan running @3000RPM...
    Also the quality of heatsink is very important, what are you using?

9. branko47049

branko47049 Master Guru

GPU:
    G-A NX88T512H-B 512MB
    TO WildStyle
    1.I`m planing to replace my old cpu with new and add 20$
    And o/c not too mutch
    2.I was asking for G-A because i am very satisfied with that brand
    In my bios i can o/c AGP; DDR; Vcore ;and Mhz 133>300.If you think That G-A is not good OK then i'll take Asus/Abit/DFI and what other brand you recomended
    3.My Fan is 60mm and i`m using that white paste heatsink(also i have silver if you think its better tell me)
    4.Is PQI good RAM or i should replace it too

10. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    1) A 2500+ Barton should be easy for you to get hold of, it's cheap, and the majority overclock okay [wil give you something to have a play with.]
    2) I would say get an Abit NF7-S, as it's a good board [overclocking too] and it's not too overwhelming for more basic knowledged users either.
    3) I would get a new heatsink. I don't know what's available to you but something like a CoolerMaster Aero7 would do if you aren't gonna be "l33t." Mind you, it's quite noisy at full blast. [Use the silver based epoxy you have in combination with that.]
    4) I would recommend some good PC3200 RAM. Something like Corsair/Geil, their "Value" ranges of RAM are good. If your current RAM is only PC2100 (DDR266MHz) then yes I would replace it, otherwise your RAM will limit you.

11. branko47049

branko47049 Master Guru

GPU:
    G-A NX88T512H-B 512MB
    Thanks again Wildstyle for your time.

12. branko47049

branko47049 Master Guru

GPU:
    G-A NX88T512H-B 512MB
    p.s.
    What CPU and Fan are you using
    1800+ DLT3C JIUHB0310MPMW [2.2GHz] (tell me something about this I can`t understand)
    What software come with Abit
    In my country its allmoust imposibile to find that kind of RAM brand.
    What do you think about PQI only PC3200
    Thanks in advance

13. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Hey no problem dude, that's what this thread is for. :)

My CPU is an 1800+ Athlon XP, the extra info numbers/text you see next to that in my specs is the stepping info. My CPU is a very good stepping, and I really keep that info in my specs for personal reference.
    Oh and it's cooled by a Thermalright SLK800 w/ an 80mm TT Smartfan2.

What software comes with the Abit? Uh... just the CD with drivers/utilities and a few other things I've never used.

With the RAM, yeah I thought you might have a few availability problems.
    I see you have PQI RAM already and I presume it works fine for you, so if you are able to get PQI very easily where you are located, then you might as well get some in PC3200 form.

14. branko47049

branko47049 Master Guru

GPU:
    G-A NX88T512H-B 512MB
    I asked because can it K7 Athlon XP Thoroughbred 1800+/1.53GHz, Socket A do the job or 2000+ Athlon XP Barton, Socket A, 256KB L2, FSB266
    Tell me what to look for so i will not F**K up.
    I didn`t mean to copy your hard work(i think you understand me)
    Thanks.

15. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I'm running PC3500 memory on my rig. Why did I buy it? Because I got 1 Gig of this stuff for $170. Not a bad deal. I'm running 2-2-2-5 on my setup, though I haven't tried overclocking my Barton 2800+ yet.

16. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I'm not sure I understand you exactly but if you got an 1800+ Tbred now, it's highly unlikely to be the same stepping as mine and thus won't overclock v.well. Also there is no 2000+ Barton...
    I still suggest the 2500+ Barton.

17. branko47049

branko47049 Master Guru

GPU:
    G-A NX88T512H-B 512MB
    WildStyle last question(for now :) )
    I have read that power supply is wery important for o/c
    Now i am using regular that come with my 25$ midi case(made in china)
    IS this true,few words about it
    p.s. I dont thisk i understand(I dont live in England you know ;)
    1800+ Tbred version B is good CPU or not for o/c (so i won`t waste my $ on 20$ more exspensive Barton)
    Thanks in advance

18. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    If you are using a regular generic one then yes I would suggest changing it to something of better quality if you want to start overclocking... and just generally you should get a quality PSU to avoid problems.

1800+ Tbred B, no, get a Barton, because you are very unlikely to get a good overclocking 1800+ like mine now, as they are very rare.

19. tomoing

tomoing Guest

Can you tell me if I can rise my default FSB 166MHz with 11 multiplier (1826MHz) to 200MHz without changing anything else?

20. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    No, I can't predict the outcome.
    Every setup is different, so you will just have to try it. I'd imagine you'd be okay, though you may need more vcore if it's not stable. Have a play around with your chip! ;)

Oh wait, you have PC2700 RAM too.. so you're gonna be overclocking the RAM as well if you went to 200FSB. You can try giving the RAM more vdimm and/or loosen the timings but you may well be limited to less than 200FSB because of your RAM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.