Info on Dual-Channel

Discussion in 'Links' started by Twinke Masta, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    I'm hoping to get a nice new 333 fsb 3000 for it at some point in the future, so then the cpu and fsb ratios will be the same

2. Kermit_the_frog

Kermit_the_frog Master Guru

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    You can always set the bios so the ram speed is = to your cpu no matter what ram you use ie if you get the PC3200 now good for 400Mhz and set it at 100% or 1:1 it will match your current CPU speed its always better to have it set 100%

:)

3. Loomster

Loomster Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
    Are Asus A7N8X-X motherboards Dual channel?

4. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB

5. NZer

NZer Guest

I have a question:

I have one stick of 512 ram if a put in another 512meg in dual mode will that effect my overclocking (2500+ to 3200+)?

i ask because my mate is running dual channel and he cant o/c at all (same cpu different mobo)?\

thanks

6. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    That seems strange the only time I had trouble getting my best OC settings was when I used all 4 dimms on this mobo, other than that if I use 2 or 3 dimms ( 3 ) now I am able to get 210 FSB at 11.5 without anytrouble and if your only using one stick right now your not in dual channel mode for sure you need at least 2 sticks for that. I have tested on this board my MSI DELTA K7NG2 and the ASUS and all are able to overclock in dual channel mode.

7. Hyvry1

Hyvry1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    Is the Gigabyte GA-7VRX (Rev 2.0) Dual channel?

8. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    No, the -X version is the stipped down version of the deluxe using the nforce2 400 chipset. It doesnt really matter though, as dual channel on XP's on gives about 3 or 4% extra performance anyway.

9. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    No, it uses the old KT333 chipset. The only Athlon chipset that utilizes dual channel is the nforce2 ultra 400.

10. NanoWarrior

NanoWarrior Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800 pro
    I read though it and I have a question... Is it possible to place 2 pairs of duel channel ram in the motherboard if there are 2 paired color coded slots?

11. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    Yes I have run my GA7NNXP with 4 x 256 for a total of 1 gig in duel but it caused a limitation when overclocking but was fine at stock 166 FSB , I now use 3 sticks as #1 256mb #2 512mb #3 256 for 1 gig total duel and I am back at 210 FSB ....... having all dimm's full seems to limit overclocking on most boards that I have experimented with.

12. NanoWarrior

NanoWarrior Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800 pro
    but it is required to have duel channel ram work in pairs, if you were able to put 4 in duel channel, wouldn't you have 2 pairs working but the 2 pairs not being able to work with each other?

p.s. how do I enable duel channel?thx:)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2004
  13. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    No the way the boards are made you can set them up in different ways if you look in the manual mine for example they show all kinds of combo's for the ram, the 4 worked flawlessly as duel channel so do the 3 I am using now its all about SS DS single sided Double sided combo's

14. NanoWarrior

NanoWarrior Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800 pro
    oh I see. One more question: once I get duel channel ram, do I have to enable it somehow or is it enabled automatically?

15. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB

16. Arauthator

Arauthator Member

GPU:
    Abit R9800XT
    Abit VT7 Dual Channel RAM

This is fairly a new board and hardly anything mentioned about it on Abit's own forums. I took a chance on it and love this sucker. The RAM I use is OCZ PC-4200 and I don't overclock it (RAM). I let it run at default speed which is 3.3.3.8 at an FSB of 208. Light overclock? Well yes it is because it really doesn't need to be overclocked that much since the R9800XT is going to bottleneck the CPU anyways. However, 6500 (FSAA ON) score on 3DMark03 isn't lightweight at all. Now I am using the 512MB sticks in slots 2 & 4. This for some wierd reason made the RAM more stable in Higher graphics like Unreal II and UT2003. Also, the motherboard doesn't like you to change the voltages on the RAM either. It's not a very good overclocker, but man does it let loose on games! POW! SNAP! CRACK! GAAGAAAGAAA!

This thing rocks dude. It has options to overclock it alot higher than what I am using, it's Prescott ready, and I know this thing is going to fly through Doom 3 probably around 30-40 FPS at 1024 x 768 resolution. All on a VIA chipset called the PT880.

The downside is, it's not GiGabyte Ethernet ready. But I only paid 60 bucks for it and it's kinda unique in the gaming world right now!

17. NanoWarrior

NanoWarrior Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800 pro
    PC2700 should be enough for games like doom 3 since it can transfer 2.7 gigabytes of data in a second, right?

18. Arauthator

Arauthator Member

GPU:
    Abit R9800XT
    It's auto in the BIOS, but you need to check your BIOS just to make sure. Sometimes we change things in BIOS and forget we did so, sometimes strange things happen in the middle night and little aliens from outer space come down and mess with your BIOS settings.

ooooweeeeeoooooo

19. Arauthator

Arauthator Member

GPU:
    Abit R9800XT
    I have seen articles around the internet where Doom 3 is ripping down high framerates on rather good systems. However, I must tell you that most if not all the benchmarks to get this info was done with the Doom 3 Alpha. I do not recommend you seek such a critter to run a benchmark on your system since the wonderfull makers of Doom 3 are still working on the game. Also, Doom 3 Alpha at one time was considered warez on some forums, and not others. (Hope that's not the case here.) But just to be sure, I must withold info on where to get it. But let me stress, they are still working on the game, so the Framerates would not be anything written in "Gold" until the final release is out.

Moral of the story is, if you are seeking to find out if your system and your RAM will run this game, I would put in a request for info straight to Activision first. Run a DXDIAG, save the info, and email it to their support dept. explaining how you would like to go ahead and get your system ready to play the game. Maybe somebody else around here knows where to find a link for system requirements in relation to this game.

Good luck guy. I would just be guessing at helping you out, but I would think as long as you have 9800 or 9800XT video cards, or Nvidia's higher end cards, you will be fine. Don't quote me on that though.

20. NanoWarrior

NanoWarrior Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800 pro
    I read in a interview with one of the makers that techically all your going to need is 256 recommended. But i have 1gb pc2700