MOUSE Guide

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Corrupt^, Dec 29, 2010.

1. sk8zophrenia

sk8zophrenia Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX1060
    im using this atm, its the best mouse for me :D
    i use 3200dpi all the time with low-med sensitivity in game settings.
    eventhough i've yet to try G9x and Xai and would love to try them, this Kone[+] seems the best for me, gives more performance than my previous razer mice

2. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    reading this makes me want to buy the xai

3. errorrrr

errorrrr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    You should put this on the first post.

DO NOT BUY RAZER IMPERATOR.

This mouse is possibly the most buggy mouse ever. I have the latest Firmware update, it fixed its z-axis issue. but it's BIGGEST problem -- random disconnect until you unplug/plug again is TOTAL EXPERIENCE DESTRUCTION.

My God, I can't remember how many times i lost connection in the middle of Dota/Leauge of Legends, or playing CS and can't move my crosshair at all..

This isn't an isolated problem, if you search google, you'll find many others reporting the Imperator Freeze/Disconnect, etc....

This is the worst mouse ever. I heard a lot of good words about razer, so i tried it out after i broke my chord on my Logitech G5 (I loved it and enjoyed it VERY much).

Now i had this imperator for 3 months, and had it disconnect countless time, I finally did myself a favor, and broke this piece of **** and bought myself a Logitech G500 from Newegg.

I'm never buying Razer products EVER again.

4. sk8zophrenia

sk8zophrenia Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX1060
    when my copperhead broke i was deciding to get kone+, g9x or imperator. at that moment i was considering to get imperator because of its cheaper than the other 2 mice. luckily i changed my mind.

5. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    It's in there, in the A few more words of advice section. I bought the Imperator myself and aside from the bugs it's a very accurate and good mouse, but the bugs are so severe that it turns you mouse into a unreliable piece of crap.

The random disconnects were fixed for me using the new firmwares, but it still had the Z-Axis tracking issue, so until they fix all of it, the mouse is safely kept in a drawer here. For now I've been pretty pleased with a Steelseries Xai.

Couple of days ago I tested a MS Intelli 1.0, a really great mouse if you don't mind having only 400 dpi. High enough malfunctioning speed, reliable, no prediction and best of all, it's like $10. Imo it's the ultimate poor man's mouse.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  6. nonamed

nonamed New Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX285 OC
    Which firmware would you recommend for Deatadder 3G (1800DPI) ??

7. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    1.28 NDC worked best for me back when I used it. The newer ones reduced my DA's responsiveness for some odd reason.

8. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Changed "How much DPI do I need & Sensitivity" quite alot after a discussion on another forum. Though for some odd reason, for alot of people on average monitors, meaning:

• 19" 1440x900 and similar
    • up to 22" 1680x1050

... precision loss in games like Quake/CSS becomes very noticable when choosing a sensitivity above 1.0. I can't find a rational explanation for it right now, but it seems to be that way for some reason.

9. sk8zophrenia

sk8zophrenia Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX1060
    do u have homefront?
    the mouse in that game is pretty weird. cant seem to aim better like i always do in css, cod and bc2.
    in homefront my aim always a bit off. not too much but still anooying.
    if u have the game maybe u can setting test?

10. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Nope, sorry.

Usually if a game uses some weird scaling, I just set my mouse to it's highest non interpolated dpi setting and change my ingame sens. 5040 dpi (in my case) is usually overkill, but at least I'm sure I get as much precision as possible.

The only problem with this is when a game fetches it's movement from the desktop (The pointer is reset to the center of the desktop X amount of times per second). If you manage to move your mouse faster then the cursor resets to the center, you'll basically hit the border of the desktop, causing negative acceleration.

This is one of the main reasons why raw/direct input is far superior. On top of all this, it's also the main reason why a mouse feels more sluggish on lower fps. The higher the fps, the higher the amount of times the cursor get's reset.

This old method is also why some games need a mousefix.

With interpolated I mean:

For instance the ROCCAT Kone + has 6000 dpi but the sensor is rated up to 5040, so they're doing something to get that extra 960 dpi which you shouldn't trust.

Some games have some strange settings forced on the user, so you might have to take a look into config files. One pretty new example would be Bulletstorm, god awful mouse acceleration by default and encrypted config (ini) files. Luckely after some googling I found a decrypter and took off the acceleration.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011

11. sk8zophrenia

sk8zophrenia Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX1060
    forgot to tell u that i have my mouse set on 3200dpi with installed cpl mouse fix.
    but i havent change anything yet on homefront's cfg/ini file, maybe thats why. i'll look on it later

12. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Some more info on the discussion I'm having on a different forum about DPI and "best sensitivity":

Basically most people assume this is how a game calculates sensitivity:

• angleIncrease = (m_yaw or m_pitch)*sensitivity*mouse-input

With angleIncrease basically being how much you'll move from your currently angle (your camera moves in a circle of 360°). m_yaw/pitch being the minimum increase you'd get with 1 mouse update. Sensitivity being your ingame sensitivity and last but not least, mouse-input being how many updates your receive from the mouse (this increases as your dpi increases).

Now my theory as to why sensitivity values above 1.0 make you lose precision:

• angleIncrease = (m_yaw or m_pitch)*sensitivity*mouse-input

Let's look a little closer to the 2 things in red.

At sens 1.0, we have a direct 1-to-1 relation between our mouseinput and the m_yaw/pitch. As soon as we increase it, we're multiplying the mouse count and thus creating added counts to multiply with the yaw/pitch value. Added counts, which we never really made with our hand and mouse.

This could lead to unwanted extra movement for every "added" count on sensitivity 2.0 for instance it'll move an extra m_yaw/pitch value for each mouse update.

So assuming this is correct, I'm still sticking with the fact you should at least try and get a sensitivity of exactly 1 and try and make your dpi higher.

If you can't adjust your dpi in steps of 100 or w/e, just pick the closest value below 1.

EDIT:

I talked to someone more knowledgeable about it:

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I have Habu. Used it for a while, sucked in my opinion and now it's just collecting dust. I can game much better with simple Logitech Pilot mouse.

14. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Obviously, the Habu was one of the first gen laser mice and had a very low malfunction speed with prediction.

15. DF-1

DF-1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    After reading all of these posts I'm still quite confused. I just got a G500 today (replacing a dead original G9). and I was wondering what would make the mouse be/feel the smoothest? there's a ton of options in windows, in setpoint and in games individually.

Do I just need to experiment with what I feel is the best? or is there some sort of formula or something?

16. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    A bit of both, formulas and your own preferences, it's all about combining the 2 and finding the settings you like.

In general, 6 in Windows and a game sensitivity of 1.0 or lower, should give you a good precision/performance ratio.

17. Tranceholic

Tranceholic Banned

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 570 Fermi
    [​IMG]

i have a m$ wireless mouse 5000 and i use it left hand for fps game. however it seems i have poor aiming with it. i can't be using wired mouse again due to constantly switching or dragging wires around my pc desk. i'm considering another wireless mouse but most wireless out there are made for right hand only. also, not really looking for extra buttons.

mouse setting: 7 with disabled enhance pointer precision (for a Half-Life 1 mod i'm playing)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  18. sk8zophrenia

sk8zophrenia Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX1060
  19. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    good stuff it has a docking station :thumbup:

20. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Tbh I never understood the problem with cables, just tape it of somewhere so it's sits comfortable and stays like that.