The Darkness 2 [Official thread]

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by TheHunter, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    FOV = 45 (Default):

[​IMG]

FOV = 65 (using Widescreen Fixer):

[​IMG]

Massive improvement. The default is way too low for PC monitors IMO; it makes it look as if your character has his chin resting on the butt of the weapons!

2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah, I've seen comparison images.
    And even with the low FOV in the game, it doesn't give my headaches or any issues. So, I don't have a problem waiting for the official release.

If it was giving me head aches (like Metro did) then I'd try the tool and change it.

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    this game is poo for the 7970. im getting about 30% gpu usage and the micro stuttering is beyond horrible. i hope amd releases a new driver sometime soon. i would really like to play this game.

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Try lowering Flip Queue Size.

I had MS-ing with Vsync ON in some areas
    (balcony scene early on),

but setting Frames to Render Ahead to 1,
    eliminated it completely.

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm getting micro-stuttering too when turning despite the fact the framerate NEVER once dips below 60 fps. I have v-sync and triple buffering on as well. There is an Auto option for v-sync though but I'm not sure what this is exactly; possibly a soft v-sync that will turn off if the framerate dips below 60 fps resulting in screen tearing (like RAGE's smart v-sync option)?

6. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    Are those you PC specs?

7. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    Darren try the framerate limiter in afterburner, fixed all the microstutter for me.
    In fact its fixed stuttering in lots of my games.

vsync on frame limit at 60 seems totally illogical.....but it works wonders

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  8. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Im glad it's playable on my integrated lol....i have highest details except for the resolution which is 1280x720

9. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    AMD are not going to start supporting their 7900's until the 12.3's, sometime in March.

10. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    lol no. those are my cell phone specs. :nerd:

ah. well that explains it. one would think with this being amd's "flagship" card, they would have proper support for it. not 2 months after its release. :3eyes:

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I was seriously doubtful that this would work but I tried it yesterday using the hidden framerate limiter in the drivers (accessible via NVIDIA Inspector) and... it actually works!!! Much to my surprise so thanks for that. :D

I already had v-sync on and my framerate never once dipped below 60 fps so logically this setting shouldn't have made any difference at all but it does. I'm guessing that using the framerate cap is the same as reducing the pre-rendered frames from 3 to 1, is that right? Whatever, it works so if anyone else is suffering from minor juddering during this game then try limiting the framerate to the refresh rate of your display.

I'm going to use this to see if it fixes micro-stutter issues with the few other games that have this issue (not many admittedly but there are some). :banana:

12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Some people report that the stuttering is nearly entirely removed when VSync is disabled so I assume it's not quite effective in what method they might have used and thus by capping framerate to 60 or what you use the issue is thus removed and stuttering minimized while still having VSync enabled to avoid possible tearing artifacts. :)

13. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    not true, not lots of games because I can't get pure-smooth in some games (Test Drive Unlimited 1/2 (any Hz except 91 Hz for TDU1 only), Life For Speed...)

14. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    The framerate limiter in the drivers using NVIDIA Inspector didnt quite get the smooth performance that afterburner did.

And ricardonuno1980 i didnt say every single game in existance, there's a few where the limiter doesnt help me either.

But it fixed stutter i was getting in:

Dues ex
    swtor
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
    The Darkness II
    age of empires online
    L.A Noire

thats lots of my games :)

But only afterburner limiter fixed all these for me, nvidias limiter just fixed a couple, not sure if its the same as reducing the pre-rendered frames from 3 to 1 darren, but you can usually spot the games it will help because they work ok in windowed mode.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  15. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Guest

GPU:
    4GB EVGA GTX680 FTW 2xSLI
    Wow - I just started playing this and already I loathe it!

The first one was surprisingly very good - dark, gritty, mundane, violent, seedy.

This one is comic cartoon - I hate it. Uninstalling now!

16. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Well thank you for sharing. Such insightful details are sure to help other users decide on if the game is worth looking at.

And if you played the game... you'd realize that it's not a "cartoon". But, some just can't get past the change in visual styles.

17. hybr33d

hybr33d Guest

GPU:
    Asus Gtx 580 1.5 Gb
    How did you manage to get constant 60fps? I have the same videocard and a 2500k cpu but i seldom get 60fps.. average is 50, minimum of 40..

I have all things maxed out in the in-game settings

Used fraps to measure fps btw.

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm maxed out at 1920x1200 (or 1920x1080, when the stretched HUD etc isn't annoying me) and I get 60 fps at all times; it never drops below that and I've played the game for several hours now (I'm past the mansion assault and at the funeral). Are you sure you aren't forcing MSAA or something?

19. remicius

remicius Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Ti
    at every start the resolution always back to 1920x1080 from 2880x1620.where can i find the config file to fix it?

20. MfA

MfA Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1060 6GB
    set desktop res to 2880x1620 and try again, it fixes..

with Darkness II AA flag OGSSAA is working.. actually you dont need to use downsampling..

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012