EA Paying for YouTube Love ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    A post on NeoGAF shows documents suggesting EA ran its own program to pay for YouTube videos promoting their games, similar to allegations that Microsoft was paying for positive Xbox One videos o...

EA Paying for YouTube Love ?

2. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    Can anyone tell me what is so bad with this?

It is business, marketing, media presence... the more your product is talked about or showed - the better for you.

I fail to see anything extraordinary bad in it.

3. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    News sites looking for a sensation blame distributors for unfair/illegal advertisements, while in fact it's the fault of Youtube uploaders.

Let's make it clear - Microsoft paid Machinima for marketing campaign, Machinima paid for comments.
    Also, we can't blame EA for Youtubers not complying to FTC / other product placement laws. While agreement details may be secret, and it's ok, it doesn't make other aspects of the content upload invalid.

Over here, in Poland, if you advertise something indirectly in TV, you are required to show "This video contains product placement" sign at the beginning. If I remember correctly, it doesn't apply to YouTube, but I'm not sure. Anyway, you are not supposed to publish any contract details, and if you fail to comply, you're breaking the law, not the product distributor.

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They hide the fact that the vids are sponsored or place gag orders on them.

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Id rather they do this, pay youtubers etc a snippet to markert games for them or what have you and then in turn and ideally, cut costs on in-house advertising which would hopefully free up money for the developing process.

As it is, i know more about a game before launch, than after.

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Wow. Such optimism. Much positivity.

7. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    I think it is not the fact that they do it that get people attention, but the fact that they do it and put a gag order or NDA to hide it. It is the fault of content uploader fault to do it.

For a let's player? its fine, its an advertisement. For a reviewer, then the line is getting blurry as that is like, borderline bribery.

8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Why the surprise, every company does this, every one!!! This is common practice everywhere.

Much worse is the fact that more than 90% of games reviews are paid by gaming companies and are nothing more than a game advertisement disguised as a professional review....

So move along, nothing to see here...

9. Advertising is ok. But if they pay review sites that's outright bribery and unacceptable.

10. ClexRex

ClexRex Guest

GPU:
    780 Classified / R9 290
    lol it wouldn't be so bad if they actualy released a quality working game.......all they release is broken turds rolled in glitter yay!!!! so pretty yet so crappy/bugged out ridden junk ;]

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
  12. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
  13. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    News just in Company's pay people to advertise their ****. More at 10.

14. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    90% pay youtube for love, youtube pays 10% for love.:banana:

15. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    You guys don't understand the bad part of this is when popular gamers on yt are getting paid to make there game look good (bf4) when in fact there are issues and they know it. Then other people essentially waste money on false advertising. Its not right because you are bribing someone's opinion and the money they save they will just put in their pockets. People just keep going "shut up and take my money", like with nvidia, and they're just gobbling it up and laughing to the bank.

16. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    Agreed. I started to watch YouTube videos because I assumed this practice polluted the professional games review websites and YouTube was supposed to be free of that crap. Stupid me. The bribes just moved with me. ;)

It is getting harder which sites and channels to trust.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    That's no different from the commercials we see on TV in the US. Companies are permitted to market products that they know for a fact don't work or don't work as described and make them sound like they're the greatest products ever released. This is actually standard practice in the US and is openly promoted....

18. Sprig

Sprig Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX560
    They would make more money if they just scrapped the marketing budget and sold games at half the price. Its ridiculous that game development budgets are 50% marketing. IMO all advertisers are one step away from crooks.

19. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    Bad: watching a YouTube channel review that you thought was objective, when in reality it's a paid advertisement from EA. There are people who started out legitimately reviewing products, now you don't know if they're being paid to say exactly what a company wants you to hear. THAT IS NOT GOOD.

Let's review: watching an advertisement that you know is an advertisement = cool. watching a review of a game, reviewer has been bribed and paid not to admit it = not cool.

We should be seeing: "The following is a paid advertisement by EA"

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  20. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    But on TV we know its an advertisement while on YouTube it should be people's personal opinion. Now it makes it tougher to trust anything and it wasn't even great to start with. now how do I know if I should buy a game if even personal opinions are bought and hides problems. I know there are other ways but not everyone does and listen to these people.