A rig running FOUR Titans -- all overclocked & watercooled

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by mdrejhon, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    super !!!

2. swecarl

swecarl Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 780ti Sli
    Haha awesome!

3. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    I must say, congratulations on your achievement. I'm curious how quickly that rig could catch up to the top people on the Guru of 3D folding team.

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I would love to see him turn off the fourth card and then run the tests again, and then turn off the third and run them again. I bet it will show that after 3 GPU's the fourth is really not doing much. Despite what Afterburner is showing.

Still, this is probably nearing a £5,000 system. Man probably looked outside at his battered and bruised car and thought... no I need four GTX Titans instead. LMAO.

Also, why on gods green earth would he ruin the experience of gaming by having the monitors in portrait?? The bezels are even more noticeable as they are closer together this way. Also with so much horsepower... why just 1080p screens? Why not 2560x1440 or 2560x1600?? That would be more impressive.

Still super jealous that I didn't waste about £5-6k on this though :/

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    freaking awesome score and setup

6. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    If money was no object we would all be doing this.

Naysayers begone!

7. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    That was so epic to look at i think i wet my pants and developed brain damfgjjdgmgfd

8. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Member Guru

GPU:
    4 Flux Capacitors in SLI
    He's using nVidia's LightBoost technology for 2D motion blur elimination (he doesn't use 3D stereoscopic).
    LightBoost is only available in 1080p.
    LightBoost has 12 times less motion blur than IPS.
    (1440p and 1600p IPS = VHS quality resolution during fast motion, due to motion blur)
    (LightBoost = keep perfect high def during fast motion)
    LightBoost has CRT-quality motion with 92% less motion blur.

All IPS monitors (even Catleap 2B and Overlord X270OC 120Hz 1440p) go into a VHS-quality blurry mess during fast motion.

That's also why some people love CRT's and LightBoost so much; it reduces brain processing lag because you're not distracted enough by motion blur to be forced to stop moving for half a second (to stop the motion blur). You can now finally see everything perfectly sharp and clearly even during fast moving, 180-degree flicks, circle straffes, etc. -- LightBoost (12x less motion blur than IPS LCD) brings back this CRT playstyle advantage if you're wanting to constantly track eyes on moving objects during high-speed pans. The high speed pans are finally as perfectly sharp as stationary images.

Strobe backlights allow much faster human reaction times. Nothing is motion blurred during fast motion. You can do things like Flick-180-wow-I-see-enemy-shoot-FRAG!-finish-180-flick, all without stopping turning, etc. Or perfect aims during circle strafes since nothing is motion blurred to affect your aim. The ultra-fast-aim tasks during fast motion FPS stuff. You can more easily learn to certain game play styles faster on CRT, but is harder on LCD (except LightBoost and similar stroboscopic backlight). The 1.4ms (1/700sec) strobe lengths of LightBoost (10% setting) was measured to have the motion blur equivalence of a theoretical 700fps@700Hz sample-and-hold LCD (because the blur-trail length is amazingly measured to be only 1/12th as long as 60fps@60Hz -- for pans where there was 10 pixels of motion blur, you now only get less than 1 pixel); so nothing can really beat that at the moment, at this time. Some people don't need LightBoost because they play SimCity or Warcraft, you want IPS colors. But you play CounterStrike instead? Stroboscopic backlights allow you to keep the full high-def crispness during high speed strafes/turns/flicks/etc, and improve your reaction time.

That's why some people put up with TN disadvantages (colors, angles), to get the motion blur eliminating stroboscopic backlights (popularly, "LightBoost", which is mainly invented/advertised for 3D but also benefits 2D due to superior motion blur elimination).

That's why the colorshift of portrait TN is mostly irrelevant;
    because the zero motion blur is FAR more immersive -- by a massive margin.
    You get color shifts/brightness shifts anyway inside a car or airplane cockpit due to the refraction angles while looking out of cockpit windows from an angle; while some people immediately notice the motion blur. The VHS-quality motion blur of IPS spoils the immersion far more than the pillars and color shifts.

-- Google "LightBoost" (its 2D motion blur reduction suddenly became popular recently, more popular than 3D Vision)
    -- See the recent media coverage about LightBoost (TFTCentral, NewEgg, ASUS, etc). Even ASUS acknowledges it's a popular feature.
    -- Good article is TFTCentral's Motion Blur Reduction Backlights.

IPS may be better if you use desktop more, or play slow games, but Vega plays a lot of FPS games and he was a CRT-diehard. Very few LCD's satisfies CRT diehards, except LightBoost stroboscopic-backlight LCD's. Everyone is different in what their eye prefers. But if you're a former CRT users who still see motion blur on 120Hz LCD, then LightBoost is the LCD Holy Grail (zero perceivable motion blur). On the other hand, people who never track eyes, or track eyes slowly, or mainly use desktop apps, often do not benefit much from LightBoost and is better off with IPS color.

The question is, what does your eyes prefer? Everyone's different.
    IMHO, LightBoost was the right choice for this rig.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  9. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Love it!

10. BABA-The Hacker

BABA-The Hacker Banned

GPU:
    PALIT GTX770 OC 2GB
    scratching...my head (no hairs).....

...seems like 'Sumerian' language to me....well...

--too good--

11. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Member Guru

GPU:
    4 Flux Capacitors in SLI
    It's a lot easier to figure out if you watch the high speed video of an LCD refreshing (with and without LightBoost), and compare to a high-speed video of a CRT. TFT Central has an excellent explanation too.

12. BABA-The Hacker

BABA-The Hacker Banned

GPU:
    PALIT GTX770 OC 2GB
    hmmmm...yes guru,,,,....

13. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    dat graphics score. :banana:

14. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    SiKk Setup! Triple 1080p displays look killer! :thumbup:

15. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    No, I don't agree it's a "waste". Overkill, sure, but people are entitled to spend their money how they want. Is a high performance car also a waste just because you can't use it to its potential on the road? I think not.

16. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    How is it a "waste" when those 4 Titans OCed are just about enough to push 120FPS on the heaviest games @ 3 x 1920 x 1080p resolution?

I bet that Crysis 3 min FPS is not 120, if it is indeed maxed out, based on my calculations.

My 7970, OCed to 1125MHz gets like 30FPS min 40FPS avg (or so) maxed out, low-med AA.

A Titan @1200MHz is MAX 50% faster. So 4 Titans scaling perfectly are 6 times faster.

They would be pushing 3 times the resolution. That makes them double as fast.

This would mean they get 60FPS min 80FPS avg at maxed out settings, low-med AA. They wouldn't perform similarly with higher AA as they have the same bandwidth as 7970 GHz and would mostly suffer the same hits running higher AA modes.

Other than that, excellent rig, I like!

17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Nice hardware, I wonder how many FPS you would get with that playing Pacman?:nerd:

About 2 million??

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Whatcha talking about Willis?

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Truth but nay we live in a world with real things like food and shelter an they cost alot right now. Bad ass rig though I've always liked the portrait surround layout I guess I'll have to try it when I finally get my stand for my screens.

20. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Lol! Only 2 million? Not unless it's in dx11 and released by Bethesda or better yet EA! Lol!!!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013