Why Half Life 3 Has Not Been Released Yet

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 15, 2013.

1. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Has Valve ever said anything about HL3 or is everyone just assuming that is what they are working on? I can't remember them ever talking about it.

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Fantastic lol, I'd play it.

Seriously though, I'm not sure a voice actor would be the best person at Valve for commenting on this.

If true then it is a weak excuse, but it wouldn't surprise me if they just didn't bother as Valve probably make more money selling games than making them, especially a SP game like HL3.
    If they are making the game then they do need to get a move on as the longer they leave it the more pressure they put on themselves.

Leave it too long and there will be a new generation of gamers who have never heard of Half Life.

3. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    How much time? EVERY Half-Life that has been released were no more than 1 or 2 years apart.

It's now been 6+ years and there is still no word on a continuation.

Reason people such as myself are impatient is because the longer they take to produce the game, the more interest we lose over the game.

Many people aren't bothered about the release of Half-Life 3 due to the amount of years gone by without any word on a new release.

I've lost interest in the game since it's been so long.

By the way, I'm a hardcore fan of Half-Life but am pissed off at Valve for leaving us in the dark.

4. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    At this rate, the game will be full VR and we won't even be playing it on PC's. :knock:

It does seem like their priorities have changed since the success of steam, which is sad.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013

5. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    The reason is easy. Valve is saving Half-Life 3 because it will be their saving grace if Steam ever gets a low popularity, or when the Steambox is released

6. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    I'm not bothered any more, I'm over Half-Life now and I wouldn't want just another sequel using Source and been dumbed down for consoles like it owuld be if they made it now.

Steam is crap, it's slow, it's dated and consumers have no rights on it.

L4D was a let down, just turned out to be a linear shooter that had no depth at all to it.

I tried Dota 2 but it bored me to tears, I gave it 20 hours of my life in online games and I just got bored of every match being the same, on the same map and if you wanted anything you had to pay stupid prices for it. No wonder why F2P does so well, they sell every item in the game for like £10........ before that would just be called content.

CS:GO is basically CZ but worse, what a PoS that game was.

I hate this whole F2P model Valve does now, it ruins games for me, I'll never like F2P because they act like the game is free but all the good stuff is locked away behind what would cost you an arm and a leg to buy.

I don't use Steam any more, I'm not a fan of Valve and tbh Half-Life for me will always be a good memory, I have no interest in what they do in the future.

7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Never put faith in a skinny chef, or a fat games producer.

Both will give you something you don't want.

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Oh Valve. I've given up on their lazy asses. They're more interested in making skins for games than actually working on their core franchises. Hell, even trading cards for games seem to have a higher priority.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    So you're telling me that if in 5 years the game launches and literally everyone says it's the best game ever made, you won't play it because it's been too long?

How are any of the recently created Valve games dumbed down for consoles? I can't even imagine playing Dota 2 on a console. As for Dota 2 itself, it's probably one of the best, most competitive games out on the market right now. And if you think that "every match is the same" you're doing something way wrong.

As for GO, it's not even developed by Valve, but putting that aside, again what is wrong with it? It's a great game and the first CS to actually pull 1.6 players to it. The match making makes playing scrims 1000x easier and it's fairly well balanced (except glock, **** that gun).

As for F2P, it is free. Only cosmetic changes are locked and most of those can be unlocked through playing the game itself.

This is probably the dumbest thing I've ever read in my entire life. Not only because if you google "Top 10 Chefs" you get all skinny people for the most part. But you're implying that a good chef would be fat because somehow eating will give them insight into food creation. Well wouldn't a game developer who plays games all day get fat and have good insight into development? But in reality there is probably no correlation between someone's weight and their ability to produce games or food.

I'm not entirely happy with all of Valve's games, L4D in particular, but they're probably one of the last companies doing PC gaming right. I don't really understand the sudden "valve hate" circle jerk. Especially because most of the complaints are not even valid.

Because that's what people want? And that's how they make money on games? They sell games for $50 people say it's too expensive. They drop the price to $10, $0 in Dota's case, and allow you to buy cosmetic changes to make up the difference and you complain that they are focusing too much on the cosmetic changes. It costs money to develop a game. Sometimes hundreds of millions of dollars, in case you weren't aware. That money has to come from somewhere.

Plus they are actively developing at least two different titles (Dota 2/L4D3) you can probably bet that they have assist development on going for portal 3, half life 3 possibly a new TF, and probably some new IP they'll venture into. And they are developing an entirely new source engine. I fail to see how that makes them lazy.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  10. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    That's my point Denial. The game may not ever be released. I wish it were but it's been 6+ years now. We cannot wait forever.

I'm losing faith in Valve.

11. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    Unless I missed something I don't think there's anything in his words that suggest that HL3 isn't in development. He just said it hadn't been released because of the lack of mocap tech. That doesn't mean they haven't been working on the other 90% of the game.

Also, when a person says, "As far as I know", it doesn't mean that they know. :) He is just a voice actor, after all, and voices are usually one of the last things done in game development.

And who knows? Maybe this is a little playful revenge on Valve's part for the leak of that screenshot someone took of that employees computer.

**Added**
    I just checked his imdb page and according to that he only voices some citizens so I don't think they'd even let him know he's voicing a character until very, very late in development, imo.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    They're not going to abandon their prize possession. If they launched that game tomorrow it could literally be 5 minutes long and they'd still sell millions of copies. The first thing you have to understand about Valve is that their development process has no schedule or oversight at all. They just collect people and build games as they feel is necessary. There is no one at Valve saying "I don't think we should make HL3" it's more like "I'd rather work on Dota 2". No one has a say over what people work on.

And if they never feel it's the right time, then it never comes out. Simple as that. It would be like forcing Da Vinci to repaint the Mona Lisa over and over again. Not only are subsequent paintings going to lack soul but it would water down the original.

13. MKillbride

MKillbride Guest

GPU:
    GTX 580SLI
    I miss Half-Life 2. Wait I have it installed! Yeeeeeees. I'm go pull out my melee weapon caps some bitches.

14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    They do have a very casual way of developing stuff, far too casual in my opinion.

If they leave it to long there just won’t be a big enough market for another Half Life game, certainly not a game like the first games.

The perfect point for a new Half Life game was 2-3 years ago, interest was still really high and linear story driven shooters were still popular.

People are now getting bored of linear shooters now and we are already seeing the trend shifting to open world, with some of the HL3 rumours even claiming that.

Leave it another few years and I can see any sort of single player FPS being a hard sell, linear or open world, it doesn't help that as time goes on the more they seem to be losing the original fan base.

15. MKillbride

MKillbride Guest

GPU:
    GTX 580SLI
    She's staring right at me. RIGHT AT ME

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Lol, well there's a name from the past.

17. MKillbride

MKillbride Guest

GPU:
    GTX 580SLI
    I'm sorry bro. Keep going.

18. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I was just thinking that name looked familiar

19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Im going through HL2 and the episod-es again now with the FakeFactory mod, v12, its bloody amazing, and i'll be going through it again, when v13 releases. :D

20. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    of course they could make ******* 3 and do HL3 on a new engine, Valve don't seem interested any more about making games they already killed HL2DM and OP4CTF off

Edit Ep is banned?