Just got bit again.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Feed_Bucket, Jul 4, 2014.

1. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The game has been updated a lot since release and had DLC so yeah.

2. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Has only access to limited bandwidth....

...blames Steam for Developer's patches.

Seriously, realitycheck plz! :p

3. Feed_Bucket

Feed_Bucket Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    In my predicament I do blame Steam but more so this country's sh*tty bandwidth infrastructure. Installing a game after it's been out a while only makes it worse since with the initial install all those updates are mandatory with steam. Why can't I have the choice to play the game without these updates? I'd rather play a buggy game than not be able to play at all. Also with updates even if it started downloading .0001% of the update I can't play the game til it's done, idiotic.

With Ubisoft I actually get the entire game on the discs (for now). Completely installed Watch Dogs, no downloading. Though if the only games in my catalog are going to be Ubisoft games then I might as well shoot myself.

I live in a rural area where there are probably 100 or so houses on my road which is about 6-8 miles long. The options for internet are dialup, wireless, or satellite, all sh*t. I haven't been able to play multiplayer since the days of TFC, CS 1.6, and Tribes 2. That's why I get aggravated with Steam because singleplayer is all I have.

I can't even go to consoles (not that I want to) now that internet is required because developers feel the need to release unfinished games and just issue a day one multi-gb patch that is required to play.

Is the Witcher 3 going to be a steamworks game? Hope not, if so gaming is going to be extremely bleak for me.

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Neah, Witcher 3 will have a drm free release.

5. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    But seriously get a new ISP or more bandwidth/monthly allowance my old ISP caused me problems due to 40Gb cap but I had to change ISPs due to the fault in the copper wire as where I live I cant have copper from the street cabinet to the exchange due to an issue between the cab and exchange.

But looks like you have an issue with the distance to the exchange there like I had in Spain sadly just had to suck it up in my business with 1meg line with double the distance your quoting.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  6. spider

spider Guest

GPU:
    GTX760 OC 4GB
    I wish steam would offer downloading 1GB (encrypted) shunks over http.
    So you could use any device for downloading, even a smartphone which is ultra transportable, absolutely quite and energy saving.

7. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    For some.
    Not everyone buys a retail copy to avoid downloading a game.

I bought the retail copy of Wolf:TNO just for the case, as I have cases/boxes for every other Wolfenstein game.
    But, when it came to installing the game, I just registered my key with STEAM and let it download the game.

Now, just as a matter of clarification, when you installed the game from disk... was STEAM online?
    Arkham Origins has received some updates and additions since it's release.
    You could always try installing the game with STEAM offline, then in the game's "Properties" and in "Updates" selecting "Do Not Automatically Update This Game".
    Very, very few games on STEAM actually require you to download part of the game itself. Normally, specially when buying a title that's been out for some time, when you install STEAM automatically starts updating the game during the installation.
    Installing games while STEAM is offline will install the release build of the title, and will allow you to select if you wish for the game to be updated or not.

8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Comcast here in Florida I get 35Gb/s and no cap.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    That is might fast speed for here in the states, Optimum by me only have 101 mbit roughly 12 mb/s

If that is correct and not typo i jealous, that and max speed i seem comcast offering on the site is 150mbps ,Also unless i missing some at those speed most hdd would would be bottlenecking

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Nope typo I meant 35Mb/s. Did not proof read plus I've had a few drinks.

[​IMG]

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    damn and here i was hoping speed here in the states have increased!.

Oh well the 101 mbit 12 mb\s i get with optimum is worlds better then trashy 3mbit dsl i had from verison

12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I don't want to pay for more with comcast they offer the 101Mb/s here but I'm getting these speeds with the lowest triple play package.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I lucked out some how.

When i Signed up I was pay 49$ mo + 15$ for boost plus which gave me 50mbps 7 months later they added tiers and Boost plus became the 101mbps tier. which is a extra 55$mo.

But they upgraded me to 101mbps and let me keep the 15$ mo boost plus was.

They know they did and they know i know this happend. so i pay 40$ mo less for 101 mbps.

so i not complaining. Now if they started charging me that 55$ i would huge fit and canceled, them also told them i would cancel them if they start charging me that.

Current pay

for double play

34.99$/mo phone
    49$/mo internet
    15$/mo 101mbps and this should be 55$/mo
    103$

this will go up 10$ in year seeing i argue with them to get the inital 49$ internet was for first year again

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Our home 50 Mbit LTE plan has no data cap what so ever for 19,90 €. My phone 50 Mbit LTE plan (which includes 100 min and 100 sms) costs 13,4 €/month. If I reach the gap they will start throttling it or I can fully unlock it for 1 € (normally it is 5 €, no idea how long this situation will last). The good thing with LTE is that the upload speeds are really nice and latency is not bad in strong network (20 Mbit up in non optimal modem placing situations, ~15 ms ping).

15. Feed_Bucket

Feed_Bucket Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    There are no other ISPs. As I mentioned it's either dialup, satellite, or Verizon wireless (which I have). Believe me if there was a better option I would take it up in a second and pay any price.

16. Feed_Bucket

Feed_Bucket Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Steam has to be online in order to install from disc.

17. castun

castun Guest

GPU:
    GTX 660 Ti 3GB
    Funnily enough, I always see complaints about Steam games that download the entire game despite having the disk in. I chalk this up to user error. The game WILL install the game from the disk, and THEN download updates if there are patches out. It will not download the entire thing unless you're plugging in the serial key and clicking the install button in Steam itself, which of course downloads the game. Always use the autorun installer.

Also, putting Steam into offline mode to install the game, that's a brilliant idea actually, but I don't know if you can activate or install a game like that TBH.

18. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    You hate Steam because of your ISP? That's a load crap. Blame your ISP not Steam..

19. Poison

Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 12gb
    lol...

20. Feed_Bucket

Feed_Bucket Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    I blame everyone. :wanker:

I partially blame Steam for making it impossible to play games unless you have high speed, high cap bandwidth. But yes, more blame falls to this country for having a crippled or non-existent bandwidth expansion.