Will windows 8 still support xbox360 games ?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by WhiteLightning, May 7, 2012.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I was wondering about this, havent heard about it for a long time. (rumour popped up in july 2011)

so what do you guys think ?

2. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Never heard of it, but I do remember reading a news article where they plan to drop the 'Live' moniker and integrate the functionality of (all?) the apps in Live Essentials to Windows 8.
    Dunno if that also means integrating support for 360 games as well.

3. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Hard to think how they would accomplish that. One thing is emulating a PS1 or a Game Boy Advanced, another completely different thing is emulating a custom designed 3 core CPU with custom memory mapping and a custom semi modern (albeit low end) graphics chip.

They'd need something like a VM. Think about how Minecraft runs and then how a game like, say, GTA IV would run in such situation lol Think about the worst native xbox 360 ported game you played for PC, it would perform much worse than that.

Even if the DirectX implementation that Xbox 360 is entirely compatible with DirectX hardware in PCs (wich it isnt, when a rendering call does something on one place and something completely different on the other one, all optimization efforts that you did go to hell) there is still all the memory logic, input/ouput, and all the rest of the engine to handle.

In short, its crazy talk man!

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    hmm i was really hoping for it. it would be the one reason to use win8, since i really dont like the interface and other stuff. want to play trials evolutions on the pc

5. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Yeah I remember that article too. If anything, it could be a "stepping stone" towards emulation, or it could just be something to do with "windows live."

6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I think it's gonna be more like the WP7 how the OS is integrated into Xbox Live. I can download Xbox games on my phone and play them to gain achievements and so on....but they aren't actual 360 games.

7. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    It's nonsense, all it ever was was a misconstrued rumor taken from someone who saw "Xbox Live Games" and flipped out.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Might support it doubt it.if it can actually emulate it 1080p + and not need some monster rig **** no. pc have issues emulating ps2 that is 200mhz chip. hell bsnes requires some beefy specs to just run. and that is for snes games.

to truely emulated without bugs and be able to do 1080p+ it wont happen

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  9. ToolJar_80

ToolJar_80 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 G1x2 SLI
    In Maximum PC magazine they mention that it's Xbox games streaming to the PC but still running off the Xbox. Kinda like how you can stream movies from your PC to your XBox now. I think it's along those lines, not actual emulation. I hope this makes sense.

10. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    No.

This was killed ages ago; all MS is doing is merging XBL and GFWL into one service. PC's simply do not have the processing power to emulate the 360's CPU and GPU down to the exact bus timings needed for accurate emulation.