Afterburner 1.5.0 Beta 2 (2009-12-09)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Garrett_Wu, Dec 9, 2009.

1. solidsteel144

solidsteel144 Active Member

GPU:
    ATi Radeon HD 5970
    Thank you very much! Switching it to GPU 2 fixed it!

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Np, glad that you've got it working ;)

All

I'd like to see some statistics on GPU usage monitoring for different GPUs. NVIDIA don't document which GPUs are supported by their new API allowing to display GPU usage, it work for sure on all GT2xx architecture chips like we declared, however I'm not sure about older GPUs support. I know for sure that it doesn't seem to work on G80 and older chips, however I'm not sure about the rest G8x and G9x families. So feedback from G8x and G9x GPU owners is really wanted. Do you see GPU usage in Afterburner?

3. theGryphon

theGryphon Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX295 Dual-PCB x 2
    I sure can give you some feedback on my new 9800GTX+ arriving on Monday... ;)

4. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    compact skin = awesome

5. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Well i remember my old 8800GS 384 Worked fine for gpu usage just before i sold it.

Same with my 8800GTs 512MB (xfx and inno3d)

6. Unwinder

Worked fine where? A few weeks ago there were no third party tools displaying GPU usage on NVIDIA cards. It could be only done by installing instrumented NVIDIA drivers (dedicated for 3D games developers) and by installing NVPerfHud (NVIDIA Performance profiling environment). Public and universal NVIDIA GPU usage monitor API was added to NVIDIA drivers not so far, the only tools supported it for now are MSI Afterburner 1.5.0, GPU-Z 3.8.0, RivaTuner 2.25 and EVGA Precision 1.9.0 (these two are not even publicly available yet).

7. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Ahh i see sorry im thinking of something else then.

8. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    I've launched your request in our forums. For now just a guy with an 8800 GTS. GPU load shows 0 and MEM load works fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. JeGX

JeGX Member

GPU:
    GTS 250
    Thanks Unwinder for the SDK. Shared mem is a nice feature :thumbup:

10. ibitato

ibitato Guest

Spanish - Spain
    Version 0.1 Alpha

Only translation done.
    I need a dev build to install msiat home with hte lang pack and go over the app.

This spanish might not be suitable for latin america

I tried to avoid english terms, but some translations lack. I need to go over the hole app to see where I can shorten things, change wording, etc

http://wuqlgg.bay.livefilestore.com...4hqVNhl56VrFE04vEyFw9v8Cjx79/SPA.zip?download

/edit:
    Full package BTW

11. Unwinder

Thanks! Proofreading feedback from anyone else talking in Spanish is greatly welcome.

12. ibitato

ibitato Guest

unw, stupid question

Im at the office, so.....
    At home do I just install msi af and then c/p the SPA folder ??

Do I need to do something special to load it ???

If I have time this weekend id like to go over the app to d-check things and probably change some wording I don't like. But i wanted to to this by reading it on the app itself; not on the files....... need visual context.......

13. Unwinder

Nope, nothing special is needed. Just copy the folder to .\Localization and it should work.

14. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    2 8800GTS 512 in SLI, Seven X64, same problem, GPU load 0, MEM load OK.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Unwinder

Thanks, but no need to post G80 results, I know for sure and mentioned above that these chips are not supported. Feedback for newer G8x and G9x wanted.

16. Stingray

Stingray Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Super OC
    First off, I'm loving this program great job. It is similar to EVGA's precision, when I switched to team Red (msi 5970) I was glad to see they had something similar.....better.

Few issues I'm having with the beta and version 1.42.

Issue 1
    Fan speed being displayed in my G15/LCD screen and in the Afterburner (AB) monitor is stuck at 30%. Doesn't matter if I toggle between GPU 1 or 2, it always displays 30%. I did not see this issue in version 1.2x.

It does display the correct fan speed in the section where you can tweak your voltage and clock settings. Fan is also responding appropriately to my defined fan settings, no issues there.

Issue 2

Gpu 1 (Slave) is displaying a constant 725MHz at idle in the AB monitor and LCD screen. Version 1.2 of AB use to show 0 at idle. I understood this to be correct as the slave GPU basically shuts down at idle.

Based on my temps, it appears GPU 1 is asleep or at a very low clock setting at idle as the temps are very similar to GPU2.

GPU 2 (master) is showing 157MHz at idle which I believe is correct

Both GPU's respond appropriately once a game is started, they also respond correctly when I kick in my OC settings.

Issue 3

When making changes to the voltage setting, the initial setting seems to "take" with out issue. However, when I went back to dial it in (was set at .1160 wanted it at .1165), when I hit "apply", voltage setting jumped from .1165 to .1174 on it's own.

I did not experience this in Version 1.42.

Not sure if these are bugs or something I'm goofing up on, but I thought I should report them.

Thanks,

Sting

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  17. ShadowWolf555

ShadowWolf555 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 Gaming 2GB OC
    You guys need someone to take care of Portuguese (Portugal) language?

18. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    OK first GTS was G80 but those in SLI are G92... :)

19. Unwinder

Not similar, I'd say almost the same. Both Precision and Afterburner are different GUIs for the same RivaTuner core libraries. Some time ago there even were some plans to unlock ATI support in EVGA Precision just to attract some users from team Red to EVGA products and brand.

v1.2.0 and older versions used AMD driver to read fan speed. We completely got rid of it because AMD's implementation was DEADLY SLOW and caused serious stuttering in games, which is absolutely not acceptable for realtime monitoring. v1.3.0 and newer displays fan speed via direct access to RV870 on-die fan controller. If it doesn't reflect the changes, it can only mean that 5970 uses alternate fan controller chip. Don't think that we'll add low-level support just for it, sorry. The issue could be resolved if AMD provide normal and effecting fan speed monitoring like NVIDIA does. However, AMD is AMD, I have zero hopes on their software team unfortunatley.

Also the result of AMD's ULPS (ultra-low power state) power saving technique invisible to low-level monitoring. AMD don't wish to provide low-level approach allowing third party drivers to ee if chip is sleeping and insist on using Catalysy driver API only, and doing so results in numerous "Why my system slows down drastically when Afterburner is running in background?" postings here. So we'll never go back to way used in v1.2.0 and older. Punishing 99% of single GPU users because of 1% of Crossfire users sounds insane.

Must be so, you cannot expect to get exact 1mv adjustments. It is hardware, it cannot generate any value you wish, VT1165 voltage adjustment step is 12.5mV.

So summarizing, issues 1 and 2 can be potentially addressed in future if ATI start coding their driver properly (really big doubts in that). And issue 3 is not issue.

20. Unwinder

Yes, sure. Translators for any languages besides English/Russian/Chinese/Spanish are really needed.