WD shows faster Black series HDDs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 11, 2013.

1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Seagate dont send new replacements. I got a certified repaired in this rig one in my boys C2Q rig and an external that I just opened an rma with.
    edit they did send me a 2tb drive back to replace my 1.5tb so thats ok I guess. its certified repaired too. havent tried it out yet tho

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  2. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

I agree, it's usually the one's with problems that always post; not those that have a working HDD. I ordered two Samsung F4's from them a while back, one was just fine and is working till this day; the other had bad sectors and was a paperweight. And those are the most reliable hard drives ever reviewed on Newegg.

It's just really the luck of the draw, any mechanical instrument will have a failure rate.

3. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I have had 5 seagate drive fail on me. My 3 other drives are all Western Digital.

4. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    HDDs are probably the component i less give a ****. But some comments here make me wonder, because i had the same single 750gb seagate drive for 6 years and it never failed in any way. Rock solid.

5. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    And yet their slimline 2.5" drives cap at 750gb :|

6. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Funny thing is I've seen failures for all manufacturers that are common. Gotta love the old IBM Deathstar's (Deskstar...) that literally had platters that shattered.

Seagate went downhill a lot after acquiring the Maxtor HDD plant. Maxtor were initially good but cost cutting reduced their quality a lot over time. Seagates that come from that plant are usually of comparable quality to the EOL Maxtor's which were widely regarded as rubbish.

WD have been pretty good for me. Working through most issues. Still had a few fail, but them's the breaks.

Nice to see a positive update in speed for the Blacks though. just wish they had gone to 1TB platters as well...

7. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    I've just recently added a Samsung 840 EVO 1 TB SSD for my games to the existing 256 MB 830 for the OS. I will never be looking back at HDDs, except as backup media. 1 TB is plenty enough still.