NVIDIA overclocking,tweaking and cooling....All info you need.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by funkymonkey, Jan 5, 2004.

1. lost_soul9k

lost_soul9k Member Guru

GPU:
    ???
    Modding vs. Overclocking !
    I just read on a website that a Geforce Fx5900 can be modded to become a 5950 ! I understand that flashing the bios is risky, but can overclocking the 5900 to 5950 speeds give the same results ??

2. xXMrMeathooksXx

xXMrMeathooksXx Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 295's Quad sli
    That is true,but the hardware is still stressed the same as if you were to just overclock it.Besides the 5950 is a newer card.I read the overclocking forum on thse two cards and if they could match the maximum overclock with one another.The answer was no,the 5950 is designed to run at its stock clock speed therfore it can handle a higher overclock then the 5900u anyday.Unless of course you watercool the cards however,but even so the 5950 has less limitations.All I can suggest is,buy a 5950 if your trying to o/c the 5900u to those speeds.In the longrun it will last longer.http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031023/nvidia-nv38-nv36-09.html Hopefully this link will help.

3. -=WODS=-

-=WODS=- Guest

GF2 MX 400 64MB

Hey Funky Monkey thanks for all this good information!!
    I Overclocked my GF2 400MX from 175 MHZ to 230 MHZ,
    does it makes alot of difference you think? I mean in gameplay.
    and do i have to get an extra cooling fan?
    (only got one):(

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2004
  4. Wonder MaN

Wonder MaN Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForcE 7300GT 256M.B @ 500/800
    Nice post "Funky monkey",
    My memory Speed is O/Cd to reach 585MHz , @ 587 Mhz image Artifacts and black triangles start to appear after 5 Minutes from playing an intensive game, My Question is IF istick that water cooling system 2 my card will the Memory Frequency Go much higher without any image Corruption ?
    And since my card's memory chips doesn't carry heatsinks, if i cut processor's heatsink & attach it to the chips on both side ,Could i increase the Mem. speed to another Limit ?

5. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF 6600GT/ 6800GT went for RMA
    Wonder MaN...
    If you are getting artifacts at 587 i would suggest you keep it at 380 yo be safe.
    and yes it would increase your overclock a bit if you attach homemeade ramsinks ( like what i did :p )

6. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF 6600GT/ 6800GT went for RMA
    updated...
    More update comming in 2 days about funda of watercooling.

7. Hazer

Hazer Guest

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 6800GT 256MB
    you tha man funky :D

8. lost_soul9k

lost_soul9k Member Guru

GPU:
    ???
    yo funkymonkey, could you please give me a working email address of yours? I haven't been able to get in touch with your bro ! please, this is urgent

9. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    how do i force ps1.4 ???? i cant find that option in rive tuner :(

10. guardz

guardz Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTS250 1G OC
    Soz this is abit late in coming but Funky that thread is so good Im book marking it, you'd have to be a moron not to I reckon. Im waiting for more great info frm you on this. Cheers dude. ;)

11. Timmetje

Timmetje Guest

Nice post man! just wanted to post a question how to overclock my Geforce 2 TI :p

Gonna increase with 5 mhz thankx m8!

12. P4P1T0-BR

P4P1T0-BR Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 512MB 640/1950/1600 Alph
    n1, ill read later :D

13. nofeardave

nofeardave New Member

GPU:
    ASUS 7800 GFX
    With Rivia Tuner when over clocking there is a "Low level Hardware Overclocking" section with core clock and memory clock and the other section "Driver hardware overclocking" section also with core clock and memory clock what is the difference???

Dave

14. sav112

sav112 Member

GPU:
    Galaxy 6800 GT
    Hi lads got a question for those who know there graphic card stuff.
    I got a new system and got a gforce 6800GT 256mb card and was really happy with it, I could set all my games on max no problems and it looked fine.

Anyway ran 3dmark03 and compared my marks and was shocked when I got 4500 and people were getting 13000. anyway I thought right I have the card on max.

Antialiasing 8X

Anisotropic filtering 16x

And vertical sync on.

So I turned them to application controlled and got over 11000 marks in 3dmark.

I also ran battlefield Vet and when I play single player with 64 Ai players the game runs a bit choppy with the card on max but flawless on application controlled.

Am I missing out on graphics quality with the setting on application control or should I turn them on but on a lower setting. I see little difference on application control apart from the frame rate goes through the roof.

Is this more a game dependant thing. I still have the game settings on there very highest.

Any advice

Also my card is the Galaxy version and I run it box standard, it came with this over-clocking utility that has auto over-clock on this? Can I trust this utility to get the most out my card or should I just leave it.

I had it on core clock 415 mhz and it seemed to work great but I was not happy with it on that so went back to 370Mhz. I did before I read the great first post, so I jumped up 45mhz not the recommended 5mhz at a time.

I would only run it on auto probably but I imagine that to damage it you would have to run it on a silly setting for a time well over my stupidly done 415mhz?

Any feedback would be great as this is the place to ask

Sav.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  15. weedster

weedster Active Member

GPU:
    Asus HD5870 1gb
    wow it's weird sav u must be getting uber high performances with a such card and such cpu , i have a little question about grfx card OC , is it possible to know the temperature of old grfx cards without a thermometer ? :D

16. Dr. Vodka

Dr. Vodka Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X
    my mx4000 just hit an stable 330/530, from stock 274/286, 32 bit/7ns memory.

at 330/555 it shows artifacts after 3 minutes of benchies/gaming

at 335/575 it would last 2 minutes before start showing artifacts in windows

at 340/600... ehmmm-- windows & the card start to puke....

at 400/400 eh--- they start to puke...

17. Emanon75

Emanon75 Guest

Low level o/c is just what it says.. o/c via bios, iirc.
    Driver level o/c is software.

If I remember correctly, driver level o/c can/will? reduce increase latency for o/c, low level does not.

18. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Officially it does void warranty when you overclock but you can as always work around this problem by taking some simple precautions which i will tell ya along this article.

You say this on the top of the original post but you don't mention it again. could you please explain how to do this.

Btw. I use Coolbits 2 to overclock, it just modifies the nvidia drivers to do it, and it autotests the maximum you can safely overclock your card. My nvidia 6610xl went from 400/800 to 505/1010, with no problems.

19. PellaeonSZ

PellaeonSZ Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB RAM
    Is that auto-test really reliable though? Mine also got a nice jump, but not sure if I should stick to that, or slowly o/c at 5mhz increments.

20. el_oso

el_oso Guest

hi,

I have a 5900XT and the Rivatuner autotest fails at GPU clock beyond than 417 Mhz or Memory clock beyond 797 Mhz... Why is this oc so poor?