Overclocking 2700K and Hyperthreading?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by StealBalls, Apr 27, 2013.

1. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    what point of 2700k without HT? u can use disable core parking and leave HT on.

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You should've just bought a 2500K then. Great way to waste money.

3. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I have 4.8 with HT on. I noticed a benefit in BF3, even if it was slight. Definitely shows usage across the 8. Also a benefit in Guild Wars 2.

I had a 2500k @ 4.5 and the 2700k is way smoother like for like.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I don't know why he starts these threads because he never listens to anything people tell him.

5. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Oh I see. Like that is it! :p

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    He wanted opinions on whether to buy those 2GB 680's, I told him 2GB wasn't enough for high settings but he bought them anyway

So then yesterday he posted wanting to know why BF3 was stuttering with 4x SGSSAA enabled @1080p on high settings. HAHA.

/facepalm

7. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I remember reading that and sort of agreeing with you. 2gig is enough if you don't use fancy AA options. I for one never really bother and so I never max the cards memory at all. I just go for in game options.

BF3 for example. All Ultra, 4x AA, no motion blur memory at about 1360 or there about's on Caspian and others a little over.

8. StealBalls

StealBalls Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4591237&postcount=134

[​IMG]

Yes, this, 49/50 games 2GB VRAM is plenty at 1080p unless you go nuts with AA - which I am doing a tiny bit in BF3, but as I am only icing the cake, truth be told I have no problem with BF3 just as it is, I am just messing, EXPERIMENTING, I have the power I am simply turning up stuff until GPU usage is showing urm, good usage! lol (example, if I play a game and it has 20% GPU usage I am simply gonna see if there is anything I can turn up more to make it look even better if i have the 'GPU HEADROOM') however, as to if my supposed lack of VRAM is what's causing the minor issues I am encountering (on the two-three maps) is open for MUCH debate and not a sealed deal as Pill seems to be implying.

Kinda sounds like he is implying an epic fail saving money buying the 2GB versions instead of the 4GB versions.

I still feel my choice was right.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  9. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    Back to the OP, it depends on if HT is worth it or not to you. I play games, but I also have things running in the background. I do a bit of multitasking so I leave HT on all the time. One nice benefit of HT is that Crysis 3 likes the extra threads.

10. angmar

angmar Guest

I think turning off hyperthreding to gain a paltry 100-200 mhz if your even lucky will end up being worse performance overall on your pc then if you just left it on.

11. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX4080 OC
    If you want more speed in games(few fps boost) then leave HT off and get higher OC as most games don't benefit from having HT as they use 4 cores or less.
    But on the other side, if you are doing video encoding, highly multi-threaded applications then leaving HT on will be awesome as it does the work faster.
    this was one of the reasons i have upgraded from 2500k to a 2700k (paid only like £75 extra for that upgrade) and i would never look back as my 2500k could only do 4.6GHz@1.35v and wouldn't go higher no matter what. Now with my 2700k i am on 4.7Ghz @1.345v with HT and i can push it to 5Ghz with 1.405v if i'm benching. But that is with a custom water cooling loop.

12. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    Above 4.5Ghz you wont notice much more fps in games. Maybe 1 or 2.
    If one wants to break 5Ghz, then turning HT off could help with temps and voltages required.

As for the extra threads, they are certainly usefull, but you wont miss the extra threads in present games if you don't have them.

There is a reason why most users have 4.5/4.6 Ghz as a 24/7 clock, at least with sandy and ivy K versions. So asking for HT off is only usefull if you want to do a high overclock for benching.