Need Advice on Fuel Injectors

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by The_Fool, May 16, 2013.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Very logical. Sadly, not all polyetheramine based fuel system cleaners are created equal. Chevron is the master though as it's something they developed.

Btw, never trust the marketing images found on such products. If the pictures were accurate representations of the before and after, the results would be as noticeable as the difference between a 3cylinder Geo Metro and a Corvette....

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

True, but the main purpose of the recommendation wasn't to miraculously re-perfect the spray pattern, it was to dissolve the gunk in the fuel line so it won't potentially clog the new injectors (whether it is now or in 6 months time).

3. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    As I was looking up the procedure for changing the fuel filter I saw this:
    [​IMG]
    To me that says not to replace the fuel filter unless it's the cause of a problem.

Also, I doubt the multimeter is measuring incorrectly. It has a new battery and I haven't had it long.

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Didn't realise that for your car the fuel filter and fuel regulator are a single unit (by all engines it means all engines for your vehicle model).

Having a combined thing like that probably makes it cheaper to manufacture, but makes it more expensive to replace. Also, by the looks of it, you have to wait for the filter to become clogged before you replace it, which is less than ideal! Typically the fuel regulator never needs replacing, so having them combined also means you are replacing a perfectly good part just for a new filter which are quite cheap.

An inline fuel filter doesn't need to be replaced any sooner than one of those combined units, it's just preventative maintenance. If you look at a traditional fuel filter it seems to have a larger filtering capacity than the combined one you have. It's possible the injectors are stuffed due to ineffective filtering... Fuel injectors require very pure fuel (in terms of absolutely no solids) due to the action of the internal valve and nozzles, I doubt such a small filter on the regulator will provide the 100 percent filtering required to prevent fuel injector damage. This would probably show up in the resistance due to the solenoid action.

I haven't heard of fuel injectors themselves actually becoming faulty, only the nozzles becoming a little clogged due to carbon deposits from the actual chamber, which is what is represented on fuel system cleaner boxes. Of course, I haven't heard of companies cheapening out to the extent of a combined fuel filter/fuel regulator before either.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2013

5. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Most cars since 2000 have the filter inside the tank, all as one unit. It's *very* expensive to change it out if it has a problem. Mine is a 98 and has the filter in line, frame mounted. It was one of the last of its kind though.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Fuel injectors do in fact fail. Seen quite a few fail over the years. Typical fuel injector failure results in injectors leaking though....not electrical failures. Electrical failures are pretty rare.

Fuel pressure regulators also fail though typically at a very low rate.

7. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Agree^....However, when a fuel injector leaks...Its usually fuel pressure regulator allowing to much pressure on fuel rail (from fuel pump)......

8. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    Apart from the fuel injector, if you need to increase the fuel efficiency and top speed just replace the stock spark plugs with performance twin spark plugs and air filter. In my car, i have installed Pipercross Performance air filter and Iridium IX twin spark plugs.

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Denso Iridium's are also excellent. If you get the Iridium Tough's they last a long time too (120,000km or around 74,000 miles). The cheaper Iridium power's last around 60,000km (37,000 miles). They seem to perform better than even the NGK iridiums.

10. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Guest

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    Not sure where you live but none of the Auto Parts Stores in my area carry the fuel rail injector cleaners any more.

11. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    All fuel injectors replaced. Wasn't so bad since I knew what I was doing this time. The truck sounds a lot better and the fuel economy does seem to have improved a bit. It feels like this engine could go another 200k miles.

12. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Aren't you glad you changed em all?

13. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yea. I was considering just replacing that one injector since it would be cheaper in the short term. However, the engine wouldn't be running evenly if it had a mix of good and bad injectors. It would have also meant more labor in the future to replace the others once they started acting up.

Last edited: May 24, 2013