Radeon HD 5970 Single card and Crossfire review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

It's time to unleash the beast welcome to a nice feature length review on the latest dual-GPU offering from ATI. What ATI did with the Radeon HD 5970 is to place two RV870 chips onto one PCB. Bridge...

More...

2. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    great review..did u try any higher core clock at 1.3 or did u just go to 900 and stop?
    either way card is definitely a beast.

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Now we just need a cpu that keeps up with it. :D But good to see HIS not charging extra for the Iclear card. They wanted like $100 or so before on Newegg for it, when really it's not all that needed.

This is a very serious card though. To be honest, I expected it to be longer then 13in. Don't get me wrong, that's long, but not bad for what it is. :D

Would I pay that much for it? Not really, lol. But it's cheaper than buying 2 5870s and overclock them a tad.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    No -- 900 MHz seemed to be the max BUT I hardly had time to test any further and only tried one of the cards.

Both cards arrived like 24~36 hrs ago and given the timeframe and massive length of this article overclocking was done -- but not yet to the extent I wanted it to be.

You guys can expect a separate overclocking article actually.

Anyways, hope you guys enjoy the article -- this one was a lot of hard work and lack of sleep ..

:nerd:

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Ehm huh -- explain that to me ? Two 5870'ies would cost you like 800 bucks right now, making the 5970 200 bucks cheaper + you can go quad-GPU in a later stage.

6. ottoyu34

ottoyu34 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 2-way SLI
    Great review! just in time before bed (Eastern time)

imo, these dual-GPU beasts begs to be watercooled and further OC.

7. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    yea the article was good especially given the amount of time to do it..appreciate your hard work. cant wait to see the overclocking article. i really want this card but wont be able to use the power until i get two more 24"s so i think ill get those first still then see whats going on..

one more thing..did you try to use eyefinity with the 5970..i went through about 10 reviews so far but skimming and only saw one that showed the 5970 doing eyefinity so im guessing the drivers are out for xfire + eyefinity or is that ONLy the 5970 that can do it and 2x5870's still wont?..any insight on that? thanks. :)

8. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    That's what I'm saying. The 5890 is cheaper then 2 5870s.

I'm saying if I had to choose the 2, the 5890 overclocked would easily be my choice. :D Also, edited my post to clear things up a bit. My mistake.

9. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    oh also im very surprised with the quad scaling..very impressive imo.

10. sharkchu12

sharkchu12 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 590 & GTX260+ PhysX
    I wonder how much MORE powerful (if any) fermi will be? That is some insane power from the 5970!!

Looks like the GPUs are catching up with the CPUs again!

Excellent review Hilbert, always a blast to read it!

11. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    It depends on the actual fermi setup.

A single gpu solution, I highly doubt will reach $600. Maybe $500 at the most. Dual gpu solution, could be about $600-up.

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Eh, next-gen ATI not much better then last-gen nvidia, not surprising but dissapointing nontheless

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  13. salanos

salanos Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX980 4GB (Ref.)
    12"!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!

OK, I can forget about it.

14. J STEEL

J STEEL Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ SLI 4GB
    Where's Bodar when you need him!!! LOL! Good Review Hilbert!!

15. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Btw, anandtech couldn't get their cards to oc to 5870 levels and you got it beyond! Go go guru3d!

Btw, I am thoroughly impressed with the CF benchmarks of the 5970.

16. HitokiriX

HitokiriX Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    damn my jaw hit the ground with some of them benchmarks I may have to rethink my build again!

17. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Those frame rates are absolutely sickening. So's the price but I'm sure AMD will slice its price when nvidia comes back.

Great job scoring the X-fire action there that's really going the extra mile.

I gotta get me a copy of this anno game I keep hearing about.

18. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    Well, now Nvidia has something to shoot for for their 300-series dual-GPU card. Be interesting to see how that performs when it comes out next year.

19. alxtorrentazos

alxtorrentazos Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060 OC
    Terrific review as always Hilbert :)
    Now, we really need GTA4 numbers for this beast ;) Come on, we know you can do it :p

20. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    good review, but I have one question...what kind of moniter do you use that can actually DISPLAY these 150+ fps that the card can display? it seems to me a small MINOR detail thats being left out..due to the fact that the majority of LCD's can ONLY display up to their max refresh rate, so what would be the point in purchasing a product like this when you can get max performance out of a card thats 1/3 the price? due to monitor limitations of course...there ARE of course some CRT's that can display 120 fps/Hz but they are usually $700+ or more, at least they used to be and then the new problem would be to even FIND a dealer that deals in CRT's anymore, as most places dont even offer them anymore...just a few things to consider when doing your video card reviews from here on in :)

As always, I enjoyed the review, but this point that Ive brought up, is valid :)
    :banana: