Bad frame rate on all games since installing windows 8

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by dmakinde, May 17, 2013.

1. dmakinde

dmakinde Guest

GPU:
    radeon 6950 2GB
    Hi guys,

I've been trying to find the solution to this problem everywhere, consulting numerous forums but to no avail. I have windows 8 and windows 7 installed as a dual boot. My windows 7 partition runs games perfectly while windows 8 runs games at less than 10 frames per second usually. Many solutions have revolved around disabling the hyper-v feature, but such a feature was already off by default for me so that was of no help.

I have tried installing the latest drivers and running in compatibility mode, but that also has done nothing. People have suggested that the problem lies with the motherboard, which is plausible because I have been told to try updating my chipset drivers, however when I try to do so with the links provided on gigabyte's official support page, one of the drivers install, while the other one (INFUpdate) does not open, despite multiple attempts. Sometimes it will open and get to the set up page, but after clicking next and accepting the terms and conditions it will simply close and nothing more will happen.

I was close to giving up when a friend of mine found a forum post here with someone who had a fairly similar issue, but he claimed that it was due to the fact that his system had low GPU usage. I installed Gigabye's easy tune 6 utility and compared the readouts with my windows 7 partition and found the following results:

[​IMG]

Is there anything that can be done to rectify this? I really like the windows 8 OS but obviously not being able to play any of my games presents an issue.

2. S_IV

S_IV Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
    Oh no.. easytune... get rid of it if you want to have a stable system. 2d/3d clock problem and low gpu usage is usually because of a driver, usually. you don't need to disable any of the cpu/memory/motherboard features by default unless there is a bios problem releated to the mobo. By the way have you tried afterburner to force 3d clock and checked the games if it works ? I don't think it's an OS problem but you can (and should) install all the available updates for win8 though it will probably not solve anything.

3. dmakinde

dmakinde Guest

GPU:
    radeon 6950 2GB
    I've installed all the drivers I can find, yet my games still lag horribly. Also, whenever I try to install my chipset drivers, like I mentioned in my opening post, the setup gets to a certain place and stops, so I resorted to installing driver update software that would scan my drivers and install them accordingly, which it did, but to no avail as my games still lag. I am running out of options here but there must be something I am doing wrong. Is there anything more I can do?

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've found that I have to install chipset drivers with Administrator privilleges (Run as Admin) and use the -overall command in order to install them on my Windows Pro 64-bit. I had a very similar issue with bad performance when I first installed Windows 8 from memory and I'm pretty sure I fixed it by force installing the chipset drivers using the -overall command and admin rights.

5. dmakinde

dmakinde Guest

GPU:
    radeon 6950 2GB
    I will attempt this as soon as time permits, but what do you mean by the -overall command?

6. dmakinde

dmakinde Guest

GPU:
    radeon 6950 2GB
    never mind, I figured it out. What I tried was creating a shortcut to the setup and then adding -overall in the target line after .exe. Unfortunately it did the same thing. The setup wouldn't even open. I tried again in safe mode and while the setup opened there, it did the same thing as before; I clicked yes, then accepted the terms and conditions, then the setup closed with nothing else happening :( does windows 8 just hate me? lol

7. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
  8. pjokerxp

pjokerxp Banned

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 680 2GB
    interesting!

9. dmakinde

dmakinde Guest

GPU:
    radeon 6950 2GB
    Tried with no joy :( I did the first thing with no problem, but my games still ran slowly. With the core parking issue however, the software you linked me to did not work properly, it just scanned my registry perpetually. I tried various other means and ended up manually changing the registry key values myself. After restarting my system and trying to run guild wars 2, the result was the same as ever... the frame rate is still low :( I still haven't been able to install the chipset driver due to the issues I mentioned in earlier posts, could there be a connection?

10. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Get the inf update utility from the intel site, Gigabyte is often not that up to date.

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    The inf update likely has nothing to do with the problem given it just adds proper names and descriptions for all Intel related devices under device manager.

12. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    Have the same problem, old games running way slow on windows 8 but in windows7, the games run way too fast.

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Have you checked DPC latencies with latencymon? There could be driver(s) which causes slowdown.
    It is worth to download chipset drivers directly from Intel site. Have you installed Intel RST drivers (for SATA controller)?

14. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    True, but just putting it out there. I'd personally ditch that EasyTune software as well though. Overclocking with that is... not really the right way.

15. claudesp33d

claudesp33d Guest

GPU:
    nvidia 450 GTS
    u better downgrade to windows 7

16. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    some command and conquer games. ini buffer fix just causes the game to run way to fast. windows 7 runs the games with no problems.

myst games. delay in starting and slower fps on windows 8 compare to windows 7

rune classic. slow menu and slow fps. keeps wanting to run in border window mode. changing advance options is a nightmare, as there is massive lag when switching screens.

dosbox emulation seems to be slower. system shock sounds lags along with some other games having speed issues.

nolf 1 and 2 slower fps in windows 8. nolf 2 is locked at 30fps

there are more to this list.

games that work better in windows 8

blairwitch games.
    nocturne
    4x4 evo 1 and 2

Im starting to think I have way to much time on my hands

and to people that say update drivers. stop saying THAT. it insulting to people that are gamers and such.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  17. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I find it weird that in windows 8 easytune is raising the blk as well for the oc profiles.

18. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    did some directx 7 - 9 benchmark testing

nvidia setting are default, windows powerplan set to performance

3dmark99 max. installer and program have to be set to windows 98 compatibility mode to run

windows 7

game 1 race= 60+fps
    game 2 first person=60+fps

windows 8

game 1 race=10-30fps

game 2 first person =10-15fps

and 3dmark 2000 - compatibility mode xp needed

windows 7

helicopter high detail=60fps

Adventure high detail=60fps

windows 8

helicopter high detail=20fps

Adventure high detail=20fps

3dmark06

windows 7

return to proxycon=70-250fps

windows 8

return to proxycon=40-55fps

wtf

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  19. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Are you on a clean install ?

I remember having the same issue when I first went Win8.

My problem was chipset drivers not being installed correctly.
    I went through "system" area in device manager, right clicked and manually pdated drivers that I could.

Also had to manually install direct x from the redist installer.

Dont know if you already did this ??

20. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    some things seems to point compatibility not being as good as it was with windows 7.

putting the game in win 98 compatibility does speed the game up in window 8, but still not as good fps in windows 7.

vsync is also causing issue with the older games. when it enabled the games run really bad and glitch. when disabled, game runs fine but then has tearing.
    I tried triple buffering, but didnt have an effect

but this should be expected as new operation comes out through the future. compatibility is thrown out the door.

16bit compatibility is a good example. through out new releases of operating systems. 16bit compatibility is worse because some code in newer windows was removed or changed. 16bit installers not working in windows vista 32bit and up complaining missing files or registry keys.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013