Thinking about getting a mechanical keyboard, need suggestions.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by eclap, May 1, 2013.

1. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    The curve 3000 is not mechanical. It's also slim, and no mechanical keyboard is slim (requires full-profile keys for the 4mm travel as specified by the Cherry MX switches).

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I really need backlighting. well, I can typewrite and I know where the keys are, but sometimes, when I'm a bit tipsy and gaming at night, it's all about finding the asd keys lol. Think I'll stick to sniping ebay for a deal for now. Might get lucky.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
  4. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Last edited: May 2, 2013

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Should be few differences between the Shine 1 and Shine 2. One I remember is that the Ducky Shine 2 remembers the profile that was last activated while the Shine 1 does not, so that causes it to reset to default after a reboot. You might want to verify this though (pretty much a non-issue IMO).

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
  7. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    You can buy separate wrist rests, I believe.

EDIT: Found another difference. The Ducky Shine 2 is NKRO over USB, while the Ducky Shine is 6-key rollover over USB and NKRO only on PS/2.

Note: I "theoretically" prefer the PS/2 port since there is no latency (hardware interrupt-based) unlike USB, but I don't think any human can notice 8ms of keyboard lag :p so...

The Ducky Shine 2 cannot connect over PS/2, since it only signals with the USB protocol. The Ducky Shine 1 does both.

I'm referring to this:
    http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/DK9008S.html

EDIT2: Yeah, Ducky Zero seems like a cut-down version.

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
  9. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    I think you'll find yourself eventually biting the bullet for an over-expensive mechanical :D

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, I will :) How are Blackwidows btw? have you used them? From what I'm reading not all are backlit. which model is best to go for? coz knowing me, I'll drive to novatech tomorrow after work and get one haha.

11. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    The BlackWidow is nice, but it seems some are suffering from build quality issues, failing keys, etc...its OEM is iOne, not Costar. iOne < Costar.

Depends on price TBH. If it's close or same, then no. If it's less, and you like how it looks, and you really want the extras such as macro keys, then maybe.

Only the BlackWidow Ultimate (regular Ultimate, Blue, and Ultimate Stealth, Brown) is backlit.

What switches are you going for?

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I think brown mate. so ultimate stealth... I'll look up costar too.

13. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Be sure to try both. I got Blue from the start and love it. I got a sampler kit recently and found I really liked blacks and reds as well, smooth and pleasant, good for gaming but probably wouldn't like them for typing (especially not the stiff blacks). I didn't like the Browns, the bump felt wrong. But that's just my opinion.

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I can't get any loud ones really. gaming at night, they would wake people up. so I thought I'd go for browns. They are the quietest ones, right? either way, all of them will be better than membranes.

15. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    The "clack" can be heard with all mechanical keyboards. It's the loudest noise the keyboard makes.

The Blues "click" is pleasant and mostly cannot be heard outside a room or so. It's a sound that quickly goes away with distance.

Blues are not much louder than Browns. I was initially going with Browns, but found out that they make a loud sound anyways so I went with Blues and that's that. Check out some YouTube videos that compare the sound. WASDKeyboards video that I linked to previously compares the sound as well.

You will need rubber O-Rings if you want to reduce or eliminate the "clack" sound.

Reds are supposedly the quietest.

Oh and yeah, pretty much any of these should be better than rubber membrane, except that sometimes, you might have one of these complaints:

1) Keyboard is too loud - common with Blue (especially) and Brown
    2) Keypresses are stiff for typing (Blacks)
    3) Keypresses easily actuate with slight touches (Reds, but this is over-exaggerated BTW, they're not THAT easy to press)
    4) Keypresses feel mushy (Browns, coming from Blues for example)

So you see, every switch can either make you happy or annoy you.

EDIT: If you cannot find a mechanical keyboard to try out, the BlackWidow Ultimate box has the arrow keys exposed. You could try those out on the Ultimate and the Ultimate Stealth.

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    hm, I don't want a mushy feel. the way you described the blues sounds the best to me. I can just fit the O-rings anyway to make the bottoming out less of an issue. BTW, just decided to sell my old phone (galaxy s2) so I'll get enough money for it to cover the cost of the keyboard so there's no need to feel bad about buying one anymore. now I just need to decide.

17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I think ill stick with Non mechanical as i like the peace and quiet.
    My wife would go crazy if she could here it clanking all the time anyhow:)

18. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Good luck, eclap.

Veteran: hah you can use rubber O-Rings, the clack noise would be reduced or go away. At this point, Reds, Blacks, or Browns might end up even quieter than rubber membrane since rubber membrane also flexes and makes sounds when it bottoms out, something like "creaking" sounds.

It's an interesting experiment to try nevertheless :D

BTW: concerning the click & clack, it can annoy at first, but then it can sound pleasant, believe it or not. You might get used to it. My family doesn't get annoyed anymore when I type, and I don't when they type (obviously we don't sleep next to that room :p)

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  19. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    If you've upped your budget to include the razors, you might take a second look at the Logitech 710 (no idea how much it costs in the UK, it's about $120 USD). It uses Brown switches and already comes with o-rings.

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    well, the Blackwidow can be had for around £110 here, the 710+ is over £140... dunno, seems a bit too much for a keyboard. but thanks for the tip anyway.