Nvidia demonstrate physx in hawken

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jan 30, 2013.

1. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    not that i hate physx, some of the effects looks just weird (could have been better/believable)

Spilling dynamically simulated oil (with matching fire with it) could prolly look more interesting matching it with dynamic/volumetric smoke that reacts with the environment.

2. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    Why do they exaggerate the effects and then think that by doing so it'll look "cool"?

The effects would be much better if only made subtle, rather than being all over the place and distracting. I don't need a thousand pieces of concrete debris catapulted left, right, up and down with each one of my Mech's steps. Instead of making debris fly all around the screen seemingly out of nowhere as if something bad happened to gravity, instead use PhysX to crackle the ground or form a subtle crater the size of the Mech's foot based on its shape. And instead of making a million particles fly on a shield bubble just because you fire at it, instead use PhysX to create something more subtle such as water-ripples like effects onto the shield itself (similar to the visual effect in Independence Day when the missiles hit the shield of the alien ship).

That's what I don't like about PhysX, is its implementation made only to advertise and seemingly create a "oooooh! and "aaaaaah!" moment, when in reality most of us looking at it have the feeling that it's just too much of it for no particular reason and may only contribute to slow general performance down. It reminds me of the high PhysX setting in Borderlands 2, it's just exaggerated. Grab a vehicle and shoot at the ground, and then exit and look at all the debris. Ten lure in some mobs, use Maya's phase-lock ability and watch all them debris fly up in the air and start spinning around the phase-lock bubble. And then thrown some corrosive grenade and watch the acid flow around it, and then all of that falls back down and scatters everywhere after the phase-lock effect stops.

That's under an arranged, controlled condition that you would have provoked. The worst part is that during actual game-play I assure you sometimes it gets worse. I' had co-operative games which I hosted that made me lag like hell when all four of us created too much debris around and made things explode and barrels, grenades and particles... it filled up the screen and the game was a slide show for half a minute. I had to crouch away from the action and look away from it with my camera on several occasions to let the FPS go back up.

I lowered the setting since, but even lowered the actual effects themselves aren't "convincing", it's still just small sized debris flying around, it's not like there's a huge chuck on concrete flying away from a wall (with the wall's physical shape changed afterwards) and then breaking in smaller size chunks when hitting the ground, from a building or something. When I hear PhysX I immediately think "A wall suddenly hit by a missile that happens to magically let a thousand pieces of debris fly away from it without any traces of actual impact on the wall itself". I mean look at the video, at some point it shows the Mech shooting at concrete above it, you see like 100+ pieces of concrete flying away from the structure, even though the structure itself remains completely intact. It feels completely artificial.

The original Red Faction with the Geo-Mod technology did "physical effects" in a much more plausible, believable way and that was more than a decade ago. The technology of PhysX itself has a crap load of potential, my issue, to reiterate, is that it is badly implemented... of course that is in my opinion. If some of you guys around actually like that type of effects exaggeration, then cool for you. I have yet to see PhysX effects that seem "spot on" and fitting and not blatant "show-off" material that ultimately only serve to show-off how you can slow down your game's performance.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  3. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    heh i remember the original Red Faction and i also remember how deep ive been digging in the test section lol

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    It would be really nice if Nvidia had ANY kind of strategy when it comes to PhysX.

Like... role of PhysX, near and long term goal. Or by NVIDIA's own words:

• Promote defend your productivity mentality
    • Define a long-term direction
    • Pick the most important near-term investment(s)
    • Ensure every project does something to improve your company's methodology
    • Explicitly allocate budget for methodology staffing
    • Involve the product engineers
    • Keep the lights on by maintaining your old flow while rolling out a new tool flow rather than suddenly cut over.
    http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-...ers-must-demand-better-EDA-tools?pageNumber=1

5. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    So you fellas are unawares that Arma3 is gonna have PhysX?
    Thanks for vid WhiteLightning! :)
    PhysX = best graphics effect ever. (imo of course).

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    hehe, glad you like it SLI-756. somehow i knew you would :D

7. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    I seen it posted in work on my phone, luckily i have a fellow gamer colleague that was able to tell me about the game (this guy was the first one to tell me about mechanical keyboards and is the fella i sold my surplus mechanical one to, from the competition, so it went to a very good home).
    But yeah, i'll check it out again now in hi res and probably install this.

8. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Pants, the mods removed this from front page.
    yeah big surprise, blinded by the truth as they say.
    we all love the cards but the graphics effects no?
    whateverz
    -----

Sorry Hilbert reposted it which is even better but i'll leave my rant here anyways. :D

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  9. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    Looks like flashy tbh. Never saw the appeal of Physx, completely useless shiny feature.

10. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Umm do you know it's interactable?
    I bet you like bf3 destruction better eh?

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Absolute rubbish, they just pop, and the bits just drop to the floor :D

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I wished they implemented 3rd person view, its terrible in 1st.

And those extra physx effects are not worth mentioning, also yeah there is no apex turbulence fx yet.

13. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Wow, that turbulance physx is fantastic.....very nice indeed.

14. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Sad, because all this can be done with OpenCL.

15. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    PhysX was a gimmick when Ageia owned it, it was hyped when nvidia bought it, it never stopped being a gimmick. It's not needed. Give me the havok engine and call it a day. Nothing about it screams "YOU NEED THIS FOR MORE IN-DEPTH GAMEPLAY". I can live without a few extra particles flying around an explosion or a piece of paper flying off the ground and into the wind.

PhysX differences are too mundane to matter.

And the lack of pushing it from nvidia over the last two years suggest this. They have a bigger push for 3D gaming and a much, much bigger focus on Tegra. This was a waste of money for them to buy, I say just call it quits. It's a performance hogs at the cost of very little visually.

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It will improve when they are adding GPU effects on top of PhysX 3 as more games will be built with that idea in mind, adding it onto PhysX 2 just causes performance issues no matter what hardware your running it on.

Wouldn't say Havok is better though, that has been crappy and out of date for years now, Bullet was good tech but no one wanted to use it.

17. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    I quite enjoyed Mafia 2 will the Physx cranked...the fire fights were pretty sweet imo.

18. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Do the ageia physx cards still work with nvidia physx?

19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Some physx effects were impressive to me in this demo, not the exaggerated explosive bits, but rather the energy or turbulence swirls. This demo I think was better done than the borderlands 2 physx which I did not care too much about.

One game that impressed me with its physics effects was oddly enough not an Nvidia physx game, dont know what they used, but was Flatout 2 Ultimate Carnage. The flying debris and car crashes in this game to me were effing brilliant.

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Warframe F2P coop has nice suitable Apex turbulence effects.