Windows 8/RT tablets hard to sell

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Based on sales performance since Windows 8 was launched in late October, Windows 8/RT tablets are difficult to sell due to higher prices than those for Android tablets and insufficient available appli...

Windows 8/RT tablets hard to sell

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    These tablets have nothing going for them other than build quality. The specs on paper are last generation, the OS has no app support, and the tablet is priced higher than the competition.

3. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    They need to come down 100 dollars or so, throw in the touch cover for free, and start selling them at all kinds of retail locations.

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    microsoft needs a grip of the actual recession,people are not having enough money for food.

5. rta

rta Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX970
    GG Microsoft.

6. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Ya think! Anyone with half a braincell must have seen this coming. If ya want a real tablet, get a 'Samsung Galaxy note 10.1'.

7. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    wat.

Given the existence of the Nexus 10, who in their right mind would get a Galaxy Note 10.1

The only thing the note 10.1 has going for it is the stylus, and that feature will cost you 100 extra dollars, two revisions of Android (Note 10.1 is on 4.0, Nexus is on 4.2), and about half the pixels (2560x1600 vs 1280x800).

8. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    The Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet is ok for watching films on, even with those specs, IPlayNaked. ;)
    Got a few ripped films and a whole load of my favourite YouTube vids loaded, and they look great.
    But what else would a true-blue Samsung fanboy say? :)

9. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Actually it's a litle bit less expensive than the new iPad.

Curently in canada the 32GB new iPad is 560$ CAD without 4g and 690$ with 4g.

Curently the Surface 32GB in canada is 520$ CAD without the touch cover and 620$ with touch cover.

But it's really funny to see MS fans saying it's an okay price when they laughed at Apple hardware being overpriced for years XD.

Both tablets are overpriced imo. Less expensive tablets are good enough and if you really want to work and are ready to spent that much money (600$+) then a good Ultrabook convertible will probably be a better option imo.

I've never been a fan of one size fit all. If i want a tablet i'm gobba buy a tablet (400$ and less). If i want a laptop i'm gonna buy a laptop and spend the required money for something good to work with.

10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Not to forget the 32GB surface is in reality a 16GB.

11. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    I dont know, the RT version is not even sold everywhere, they will be on shop tomorrow only in France and i think it is same in switzerland. ( dont know on other european country )

its hard to compare the price on the x86 version, as they are on a different tier of Ios / Android tablet. Second problem is they face the Hybrid laptop/tablet touchscreen with windows 8 .

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  12. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    And your point is? Half the resolution, yes, but pixel density is what will help make that resolution effective overall.

And the Galaxy Note is as high-end and feature packed as ****, and being offered for a competitive price, and the stylus and the software have been well integrated to work together.

I really am failing to see your point here...

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You made it sound as if the Galaxy Note 10.1 is the end all be all of tablets. His point is that it's not, if you had to chose the Nexus 10 is a significantly better choice.

First of all you realize they are both 10 inch tablets right? So the Nexus 10 at double the resolution also has double the pixel density?

Second the Nexus 10 has a significantly faster GPU which despite having to drive double the resolution outperforms every android tablet.

So his point is someone with half a braincell would probably pick the Nexus 10 over the surface and not the note.

14. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    If they were priced at $20 i would still get an android tablet if i was after a tablet. Something that is useless to me isn't going to be worth much.

15. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    or wait the next Samsung tab..

16. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    I really like the specs of the surface pro running actual windows programs as opposed to apps but the price is way too high. Might as well buy a new laptop with touchscreen.

17. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Or you could just wait for the next Nexus 10. So whats your point? I'm smelling an overly attached Samsung fanboy right here.

18. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Not a surprise because the Surface is 500 bucks which is double that of Samsung Galaxy 2 tablet. And the pro version is going to be close to 1000 bucks which equals a laptop.

To me MS was in the same mind set when they first released the original Xbox with the big huge controller to us Americans. At that time period they thought that the majority of gamers were 6'4 or 6'5 or so. Now MS thinks that majority of tablet users are apart of the 1% which are the rich people.

Come on MS get your act together if you want to be a success in the tablet market.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  19. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Just a minor correction, the Nexus 10 has quadruple the pixel density of the Note 10.1. For every pixel on the Note, there are 4 on the Nexus. It really is a great tablet, the Nexus 10. Definitely the best 10" Android tablet on the market.

As for the Windows 8 and RT tablets, it's all down to cost and recognition by consumers. At the given price points, people look at other things in similar price points and tend to go with the thing which is familiar and well received, that is to say iPads (for the price) and traditional laptops. Otherwise, they see the Nexus 7 or Nexus 10 (or other less-expensive Android tablets) and see a similar product for a not-so-similar price and are left scratching their heads as to why they should go with Microsoft's tablet when Google's can do email and browsing for half the cost.

20. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    I'm not touching Windows 8 or Windows RT with a ten foot pole.

Windows 8 is basically Windows 7 without the start button, start menu, desktop widgets, or Aero. Why the fack would I want that? Yeah yeah, it starts up "faster." But that's only becasue it tricks the user into thinking it's actualy off when it fact it's in a low-power hibernation. And that's only if the motherboard supports UEFI. So, fark no. Do not want!

Windows 7 is an ARM OS masquerading as Windows that can't run x86/64 apps. Oh, and no start menu, desktop mode is virtualy useless, and the dam things are overpriced and not even available in retail yet! Why the hell would I want that instead of Android?

And just to add insult to injury, Windows 8 is really just the tick in a tick-tock cycle. I'll bet you dimes to doughnuts that Windows 9 will basically be WIndows 8 Second Edition: All the mistakes and idiocy that was pounded and slapped into Windows 8 will be re-done and cleaned up for Windows 9. And who, knows, maybe Microsoft will pull it's head out of it's rectum by than and restore the freaking Start menu? I doubt it's but here's hoping.