HD 7xxx drivers for flicker/BSOD fix

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by vejn, Sep 10, 2012.

1. nzkro

nzkro Guest

GPU:
    7870 Direct CU II
    You are right only in dx9, dx10 games. In other games i dont get artifacts, only i noticed in The Witcher 2 but is minimal. I hope that someday amd fixes that, if not how can i return my video card? I have only 6 days with it.

2. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    dx10 ? You get it there too? I do not have issues in any other game than DX9 games so far.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  3. Vella

Vella Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF3 7950 3GB
    Recorded some footage from Euro Truck Simulator 2. This is what happens when the flickering gets really bad. Before I bought a 7950 I was running this game with a 6870 and it was flawless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtvKDciTofM - running 12.10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNicjaFOiPY - running 12.11 beta 11

12.11 is better but its far from fixed.

I've still not had any issues with games using DX 10 or 11 only DX 9 is giving issues.

I'd have been happier if it was a hardware fault, atleast an RMA would fix it :help:

4. WiFry

WiFry Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
    12.10s were the worst for me.

Us 7xxx series owners bought a card which AMD did not have a thorough idea on how to handle based on the GCN architecture.

So we are essentially getting BETA drivers.
    I believe this problem will be resolved only a little before the HD8xxx series gets released since that as well is based on GCN architecture.

5. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    Beta 11 surely cleared most of artifacts. 95 percent or more (witcher 2, world of tanks, most of skyrim). However some die hard artifacts (skyrim flickerspots, civilization 4) are still present.

6. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    im about to agree with you. But i have to say my starcraft issue is still present. It never was happen pretty often there but i think AMD just fixed the worst affected games and the games with smaller issues are not getting fixed. It seems more like a workaround than a fix. But my hopes are high for the next driver. It's pretty silent around that driver maybe some big changes will take place.

7. Gizmo

Gizmo Guest

GPU:
    Glad i checked in on this thread i was about the return the PC 7970 v3 i just got this Friday as faulty because i was seeing these same issues with various games.

Skyrim for me is the worst sofar out of the games i've tested and has quite a lot of Z-fighting on Rocks and water or on any kind of object that using close alpha overlays for moss or dirt

Last ATI card i had was a 4870 (chopped that for a 260 due to ****ty drivers)and i was hopping that over a year since release that AMD had buff'ed up there drivers for the 7XXX gen so they'ed have little to no issues but from what im reading it seems they still have a long way togo

Shame because i think the 7970 has better IQ/Colours than the 570 i had been running
    but if they cant get it working 99% of the time what the point?????? seems the same old ATI....great hardware.....poor software

8. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
  9. Gamertech100

Gamertech100 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2GB
    I have almost zero flickering with Alan Wake and Skyrim with a 7850, I recommend installing 12.11 beta 11 drivers.

10. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Try Age of Empires 3 if you can... I just installled that old game and the black artifacts/lines are unstoppable.

I strongly believe they mentioned a fix just because we were right before Christmas. I'm not so sure they applied a tweak or something, but certainly not a solid fix -if there is one.

Or Dragon Age Origins, or the first training level of CoD 4 Single Player.

And by the way, one thing is the problematic latency and other thing the corruptions. Bad latency is almost general issue, the corruptions/flickering is happening on Dx9 games. If after a year we eventually get better latency, it doesn't mean the corruptions will be gone, likewise.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013

11. WiFry

WiFry Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
    Playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations at the moment and it has the DX9 flicker.
    Played RAGE and can confirm the flicker does not affect OpenGL.

Definitely a memory management issue with the drivers when relating to DX9c as the image corruption resembles overclocked memory with insufficient voltage that I would see with my HD4850.

But as AMD has publicly admitted, they do have a memory management problem but not directly related to the flicker we are seeing.

12. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    The only thing I can say, yes, these corruptions totally look like we have badly overclocked cards -miscalculations... Nothing certain, though. I'm not expert and this might be complicated.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  13. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    I can agree that. But there are some games even in open GL which have rare flickering. 2D games like Hotline Miami. If you dont own the game you can test it by urself by playing Hedgewars (a Freeware worms clone i play from time to time). If you play 2 or 3 rounds on the Map ISLAND (and fullscreen mode) you should see it. Here's the download for people who are interessted http://www.hedgewars.org/download.html

I start thinking that it may be related to 2d sprites.

14. faptastic

faptastic Guest

GPU:
    PCS+ 7870 Myst@1235/6400
    Seen flickering in Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.

15. h220wnzj00

h220wnzj00 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Dual-X
    Flicker is absolutely terrible with beta 11 and GTA IV. I noticed none of this with my GTX 470 SLI. :( I'm really hoping beta 12 fixes it. I get some flicker in Witcher 2, but it's not near as bad as GTA IV.

16. faptastic

faptastic Guest

GPU:
    PCS+ 7870 Myst@1235/6400
    F1 2010 when clicking on your agent to look at the contract menu the circle indicator flickers.

17. IRQ Conflict

IRQ Conflict New Member

GPU:
    2 Sapphire X1950 Pro's in CF
    12.10's without CAP installed helped reduce this issue for me. Still there but not as much as it was with 12.11beta with CAP installed. Supreme Commander shows no signs of corruption for me.

If I had to guess, it is performance tweaks that are causing the issue.

Asus Matrix Platinum 7970. Stock clocks. 1100/1650

Edit: I guess I better update my specs lol. Been awhile.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  18. Epic0098

Epic0098 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III
    So last time I mentioned that the flickering had stopped for me in Skyrim. Well I was wrong. It's sort of less than before, but it's still there. When using mods like ENB, it's worse. This is really getting on my nerves now, as soon as I see a slight flicker I just turn off the game. Seems like I'll have to revert back to my 6950 to play Skyrim if the new drivers don't fix this issue.

19. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    For me with new 7870 bsod and flicker is fixed.
    I only have problem with Splinter cell conviction.
    It won't start. Even doesn't go to Main menu.

20. ToBbErT

ToBbErT Member Guru

GPU:
    2x sapphire 7870
    The problem isnt fixed you just got lucky. The first months when i got the card it crashed alot. Then i didnt have a crash in like 2-3 months and this week i got a crash again. It happens so randomly.