A tribute to the best looking game ever - Crysis

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by TDurden, May 18, 2017.

1. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    Dude,.
    You have to finish it.
    The ending is the best bit.
    Don't give up.. :banana:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/17300/discussions/0/846942784197992588/

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  2. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    by the way, on what settings are you guys playing the game, the game doesn't go along well with new hardware, i ve tried it before and there are many sudden dips in performance in many places during the second level.
    i was just reinstalling the game and went to youtube to listen to the main theme music for the game and it truly brings back memories back in the day of how i was juicing every bit of perfornance to make the game run at 30 fps, love every bit of the theme music for the game

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I've finished it before. I'm replaying the series.
    I finished it back in 2007 when it was first released. And... I thought the ending kind of... sucked.

The final level looked great, but, the "boss fight" was bland and forgettable. And, then... a poorly done cliffhanger ending.
    I was actually kind of relieved the game kept crashing no matter what I tried to fix it. From the alien ship forward... the game is a complete chore to play.

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Maybe i'm reading it wrong, but i think the point TR2N is making is that the game is buggy and crashes at the end.

I do agree performance is still awful though, it's quite common to have low framerates and if you have monitoring software on you can see GPU usage also drops substantially.
    It does make it easier to run the game at 1440/2160 when 1080 is not very good though.

The AA in the game is awful so the game looks ugly alot of the time and nowadays i am on a TV and sitting far away, i clearly had lower standards a decade ago as i cannot understand why this did not bother me on a 22inch 16x10 screen.

5. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    So refreshing to return to this game after my bad experience with prey.

Man... this game is da BomB!
    PC gamer 4 life...

Damian_azreal,

I can understand your gripe. But as a gamer going back 15-20 years, you have to appreciate the logic of pc gamers who always upgraded hardware for graphics nirvana. Conversely, there are those who want a story-line and graphics is merely secondary.

My gripe is with prey. A game just released, yet visually is so contrived you might as well get out your pc's from 1999.

Forum nature is that everyone's viewpoint is subjective.
    I am just shocked at the current state of pc graphics in modern games.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  6. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    Prey
    [​IMG]

Crysis
    [​IMG]

7. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I can understand the drive to upgrade hardware, and have done so in the past.
    I made rather big upgrades just to play Doom 3 back in 2004. And made other upgrades for BioShock and even Crysis.

But, even in 2007, I found Crysis... pretty bland gameplay wise. I saw amazing potential, but... felt far too much attention was wasted trying to impress visually and not pushing what was possible with the Nanosuit.

And, nobody is going to say PREY is a hardware pusher. It's not a technical marvel or graphical powerhouse.
    But, it is one of the best games I've played in a long time. There's actual depth to the gameplay.
    And, I for one can easily overlook a game's visual fidelity if the gameplay makes up for it. And, PREY's does.

Add in, while it's lacking technically, the art style is solid and I really like the retro, softer look of the game.
    Yes, I love a game that pushes the limits... and love it when a game look amazing. DOOM is fantastic, as is Gears of War 4.
    But, I still appreciate everything fantastic about PREY.

8. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    You've inspired me to go after gears of war - problem is i am out of space on hdd. Time to Uninstall Crysis?
    :)

9. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah, Gears 4 is friggin' huge.
    When I had it installed it was over 90 gigs. I think now, it's over 100. Just... insane.

But, it's a gorgeous game.

10. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    This is kinda off topic but crysis related.

Take a look at this video I did, Crysis 2 looking good as ever, Actually very impressive:

Sorry for the somewhat dark Upload, I tried to increase the brightness and gamma quite a bit, not to bad.

Sometimes on certain games, Changing a game's compat to win 7,8,etc, can effect the brightness, but on this game, it changes nothing.

I even did the shadowplay work around, changing the resolution one notch then go back, don't change nothing.

This scene is already dark to begin with from what I can tell, It seems I didn't lose that much brightness, but it is kinda dark.

I played other missions in well lit areas, much better, Might upload those later.

Haven't played this game in quite some time, Looks absolutely stunning, even by today's standard, and gotta love sgssaa, don't play any game without it, major performance hit on gpu but overall IQ is Stunning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39aMpoolBTw&t=157s&index=24&list=PLv7whYPHSlwQ6yVa28HyDXvEF92tuO0_Z

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    [​IMG]

Crysis doesn't always look impressive though, it's the location more than the technical side that stands out more nowadays.

12. Nosein

Nosein Guest

GPU:
    GTX 580
    Maybe turn the gfx up then? Thats not maxed

[​IMG]

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Apologies that is quite a crappy screenshot, didn't really notice on the phone screen.

The point was just that even maxed Crysis tends to look bad when removed from the jungle setting.

14. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    @Nosein, still looks bad.

15. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070

Actually, only works to help support his point.
    In doors, Crysis looks bad. Bland, flat lighting... everything in doors looks... fake. The depth and realism, the detail... it's all gone whenever you go inside.

16. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    They didnt really pay attention to the inside of the buildings. focus was really the outside.
    The buildings were fully destructible though which was pretty awesome. Who hasnt been inside the building hiding for a tank, where the tank totally blew up the building LOL

I love crysis , played through it several times. Even the multiplayer was awesome!
    The editor was also tons of fun. just messing around with the physics stuff was awesome. no other game was able to do that then. great engine with a lot of features.

17. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    It's not even that, it's purely art direction. Large outdoor floral environments always look fantastic next to most other kinds of environments.

This is 2017, things have improved a lot. First show a proper comparison pics of similar environments.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This little gif you can see how the light from the laser reflecting from the tree bark, how much better the smoke looks than Crysis.
    While Crysis held up just fine, it's worlds apart from what can be done today. The larger problem IMO is that not many developers care to really push PC hardware which Crytek clearly set out to do from scratch, rather they'd rather just use UE4 or similar and sprout several platform versions...most of which look better than Crysis of course.

[​IMG]

18. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

Sure is, Battlefront is one amazing looking game, especially the forest speeder scene, Very Very well done.

19. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    But, also, another game that looks amazing... but is pretty damn lifeless gameplay wise.

20. Yes, SW Battlefront is probably the best looking PC game so far, shame it is also extremely bland and badly crafted from gameplay point of view.

BioWare should cooperate with DICE to do new KOTOR. Battlefront visuals + KOTOR gameplay would be awesome.