Athlon XP Overclocking Guide

Discussion in 'Links' started by WildStyle, Jul 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    What I mean is run something CPU intensive (though that may be difficult since it crashes) and see what your CPU temp gets upto.
    Also use that monitoring software and post your rails here (PSU voltages).

After those we'll have all the usual suspects covered, as you say you've already run memtest with no probs? How many passes?

2. sh4d0w1ink920

sh4d0w1ink920 Member

GPU:
    Visiontek XTASY 9200 SE 128 MB
    6 cycles (passes) with memtest86 and no problems. As for cpu intensive...can't I just run Prime95? Or do you mean a computer game or somethin...? Also, the voltages I posted on the last page, that's not what you need? (PSU rails?)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  3. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Oh, yeah, you did post rails already.

You could run Prime95 but what I mean is if it only takes < 1min before it crashes that's not gonna give you your full load temp...

4. Emanon75

Emanon75 Guest

@ Wild..

There's another thread about his problems.
    Looks to me as if the bios is setup wrong or something..
    Prime fails in less than a minute w/ a rounding error.

It's gotta be either mem timings too tight/ lack of vdimm or cpu/vcore related.

Resetting the cmos would be a good place to start..
    If thet doesn't help, up the vcore just a little..
    If to no avail, slack mem timings, and increase vdimm..

Memtest isn't a reliable stability tester, as it can pass without errors 5-10Mhz above what's stable in windows from what I've seen..

5. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yeah I hear you but he has PC3200 underclocked to PC2700 running 2.5-3-3-7 latencies, and that shouldn't need added vdimm.
    As for vcore, it's on the default 1.65v, and even if it was at 1.6v for example it'd still take a few mins to fail with a rounding error rather than sub 1min.
    So... hmm, clearing CMOS and starting over is an option I guess but from what I see everything is set appropriately unless I'm overlooking something well obvious.
    Did he say it wasn't stable in Windows? (I can't remember)

6. Emanon75

Emanon75 Guest

No, it shouldn't, but it can't hurt to try..

Unless the board undervolts a bit, you're right, that should be enough vcore. Hell, most cpus will run stock speed with less than stock vcore.. Hmmmm..

Not stable in windows either, iirc.
    Resetting the cmos is the easiest way to see whether it's a setup issue, or a hardware failure though. That's why I'd recommend it first.. Never can be sure what was adjusted in there ya know..

7. sh4d0w1ink920

sh4d0w1ink920 Member

GPU:
    Visiontek XTASY 9200 SE 128 MB
    Dad's checking the CMOS later...thanks. I'm getting new error messages now though, guess my computer wasn't happy with the old ones lol.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (RAM, isn't it?)

BAD_POOL_CALLER

:(

8. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Well, for "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" this usually occurs after installation of a faulty device driver, system service or BIOS.
    When do you get the message? At startup or simply when using Windows?
    Also do you have a USB modem or such? You may wanna check you have the latest drivers for that, or unplug/uninstall and see if the problem persists.

However, normally you get BSOD's related to RAM problems. So for this you can run memtest86+. This is an app that you run from a floppy or bootable ISO (CD) at startup, without even being in Windows, and it will test your RAM. Basically if you get any errors, you've got a problem. You will need to set your BIOS boot up order so that the CD or FDD (whichever method you choose for memtest) is #1 so it boots from the device before the HDD and can then run memtest.
    www.memtest.org
    Are you running 1x512MB stick or 2x256? If 2x256 you might try one and then the other individually, to see if one is a bad stick. If it's 1x512 you should swap in some other RAM from elsewhere if possible.

9. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    Hey I got a question...
    I can run ANY game with the current OC with NO problems at all but CANNOT run PRIME for more than 10 minutes without freezing... Weird. And I never have any heat problems or anything. So why is that? :D

10. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Well, IMO, if it doesn't fail in the first couple of mins there is a very mediocre level of stability there, so it may well be fine for some things.
    But most people prefer to run for longer so they do not have to worry about potential problems in any way during the use of their computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.