Which PSU?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jmpnop, May 13, 2013.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    They're not braided but a flat ribbon type as you'll find in the top XFX PSUs, (which XFX may have deemed a 'higher end' feature). All other XFX units down to the cheapest models have braided cables.

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    oh ok, didn't know that these flat ones were used only on their top models. so how come xfx deem them "better" than braided cables? what are the advantages?

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Flat cables have the advantage that they are thinner, so cable management can be easier, especially in tight spaces. Spare cable lengths can also be stored away tidier. The disadvantage is that you can't bend the cable too much width wise, only length wise, whereas braided cables can be bent whatever which way.

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    TBH, I dont see any advantages at all. Maybe XFX think they look sleeker or cooler I dont know.

edit: just saw thatguys answer, maybe he's right, I dont know.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, I guess they have pros/cons. flat ribbon is easier to manage behind the motherboard tray, braided looks better and I assume should be more durable, although once you set up your cables, they will last forever no matter what. Your psu will crap out on you well before the cables go bad.

Either way, I'm happy with my XFX and I would recommend it. Mine cost me £111 which is a good price. the Corsair HX 750 gold was a few quid cheaper, but my last PSU was a Corsair and I wanted something different if that makes any sense. Either way, they're both great PSUs.

6. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    Thanks for the help, I've purchased Seasonic X-750:)