Triple buffering question

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by tsunami231, May 16, 2014.

1. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview2/

Going from this, CS:GO seems relatively superior to current games.

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    What I wrote doesn't actually say much about CS:GO, if you get the meaning :) It's more like a rant. If CS:GO feels more laggy than older games, then what can be said about games that feel even worse that that? *Way* worse, actually. (Try playing Battlefied with V-Sync on, for example. In fact, it's crap even with V-Sync off, if you can believe that. How they managed to pull that off, is beyond me. Sure, game programming isn't exactly a trivial matter, but it's not rocker science either.)

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I also thought that for a 60Hz monitor v-sync should lead to 60, 30, 20, 15, 10 FPS... Regardless of buffering.
    (Moinitor Hz)/FPS must be an integer value with v-sync, right?

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    That is my understand of it "should" be to my understanding and i see fps values like in swtor with vsync on but then i see values like even with it vsync off in that game cpu barely using 35% and gpu is twittling its thumbs with 20% or less usage to when i see those low values.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    May be games with such CPU and GPU usage have nothing to offer to both processors...
    Can triple buffering increase the usage levels?

Edit: Obviously I failed to capture the point of original question. I did not argue with you, I just started to express my confusion.

Edit2: And probably you were asking why 30 FPS and 30% of usage. I am really slow this weekend...

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it confusing and complicated question that dont have striaght answer. and I sure I could of worded it better.

All i know is Swtor is only game i see values of what TB should "do" when on with Vsync but see same exact values with it off and and no more then 35% CPU usage when I getting 60 fps with 50% gpu usage or 111 fps uncaped with 70% ish gpu usage.

But then when when fps tanks in wz/ops to 20's or lower cpu usage is still 35% ish with the load spread over the 8 thread just like with above situation. with the diffrence of the gpu is now doing 20% usage ( no driver i tried ever fixed this).

Whole point was i want to know what the value should drop to with 60hz vsync + TB when the fps cant be kept cause i never seen any game run this bad with vsync on, since I tried to run Doom3 and that ran worse on my duo core 8400 with 6800 gt which was 5 fps slide show.

I seriously cant wait will either gsync or adaptive-sync adopted by vesa are wildly availible they both remove the performance hit current vsync suffer from. while eliminating tearing.

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    And to confuse more both VSync and TB can be done either in game or in drivers. Also we can`t find out whether TB setting is actually performed during the game.

Edit: Have you noticed the card`s core and vram frequencies when is does 30 FPS with 30% load?
    It is possible that load percentage doesn`t account frequencies. E.g. CPU usage percents mean not p-state or c-state but the time of executed operations related to idle time.
    Is it possible that GPU does simple short operations (hence low usage) but due to bugs or badly coded game/driver it still fails to cope with monitor`s refresh rate?

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    the card is always 1050 mhz or using boost 1150 even when the gpu load drops to 20% or lower.

This just one many attempts since swtor came out that I attempt to find the cause, and it always comes back to me thinking the game engine is to blame, special when i read people with 4th gen i7 and 760ti with same issues with min framerates.

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Swtor is completely cpu bound in populated places like many mmos (if the gpu is half decent). On top of that swtor is pretty poorly coded. Also I do not think that the in game vsync implementation is the best so I force tb&vsync with d3doverrider. When on fleet my gpu does not go anywhere near max boost clocks and it can be below base clock.