max temp for gtx 580?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Blueacid, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Blueacid

Blueacid Member

GPU:
    gtx 580
    All i really do is play games. Black ops mainly.

I have my card running at 1050mhz for the core and 2300 for the memory and 1075 volts.

The temp never goes above 72. Of course if i tried to run furmark the cards would crash clocked this high, but since all i do is game i test it out doing that.

Am i running any risks in doing this? Do i need to turn back the clock? I figured since my card isnt getting very hot im ok.????

2. Nvidiaddict

Nvidiaddict Member

GPU:
    rtx 4090
    black ops is a pretty poorly optimized game , doens't stress that gtx 580 for sure.
    really overkill imo. How hot does it get at that speed in benchmarks where the cpu gets 100% stressed?

tbh i wouldn't overclock it to those speeds if you only play those games.... You Also have a core2duo processor?? :s

Bottleneck much.

3. orion24

orion24 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
    Call of Duty Black OPS is DIRECTX 9 based game, even at maxed detail it does not stress the video card 100% and the temperature is quite lower than it would be in more demanding games. If the system crashes when running 3DMark, then something is wrong and you need to contain the overclock to ensure the card is operating in a healthy way. Try running Crysis for a higher temperature stress to the card.

If the card doesn't overheat in more demanding games, then you might get it a bit more stable with increasing the voltage. If it does overheat thought, then you need to decrease it, togerther with the overclock, or update your cooling system. Still thought, the power a video card can recieve is limited and you won't go much further

4. dragomirc

dragomirc Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX580 965/1930/4400
    You CAN NOT run GPU core @ 1050 MHz without LN2. And no one play games on LN2 cooling.
    BTW your CPU is bottleneck for GTX580.

5. angmar

angmar Guest

hes prob able to run it at 1050 because hes getting like 20 percent gpu utilization heh

6. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    black ops doesnt stress out your gtx580 because by default, there is a framerate cap of 90fps. to get 90fps on our cards takes like 20-40% load depending on the scene, which is nowhere near as good of a stress test for the gtx580.

you just spent $500 on a card, if youre gonna leave it on a crazy overclock 24/7, make sure youve at least verified its stable at full load.

7. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    You can get the framrate higher then 90 FPS if you set seta com_maxfps "85" to seta com_maxfps "0" in the config of the game.
    Then it will stress your card more but never 100% in Black ops. My max it will go is 85%.
    I set mine at seta com_maxfps "120" and now i got a solid 120 FPS on my 120Hz monitor and all eye-candy max-out. More is not needed for me.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  8. Blueacid

Blueacid Member

GPU:
    gtx 580
    I didnt know it wasnt actually running at 1050 till last night. The screen would flash and it would go back to default settings. I got it stable at 1050volt, 930mhz and 2100mhz for the memory. The card never heats up above 72. This was stable for 30 minutes using Furmark.

I got a quad core on the way i plan to overclock to 4ghz so that will help the bottleneck. Would it be ok for me to push it up to 1100volts, 960mhz and 2200mhz if the temperature doesnt go above say 75?
    I dont plan to keep it there because yes black ops does run fine without it being that high i just wanted to test it out.

I think when the quad core comes in ill see better results because sometimes the frame rates drops in the 30s.

Im playing on max settings at 1920x1200 resolution.

basically im wondering how hot is too hot?

I didnt upgrade to x58 and i7 cuz from what ive read the q9550 with 12mb of cache is still very comparable in games (all i do). If i overclock it to 4ghz, i should be getting similar results of an i7, yeah?

9. Blueacid

Blueacid Member

GPU:
    gtx 580
    do u mean in the config file or in the console of the game?

10. dragomirc

dragomirc Guest

GPU:
    You have to stop mixing GPU clock and Voltage reading.

There is no way you can run GPU@ 960 on 1.10 V.

As GPU is more powerful and resolution higher, CPU limit is more visible. See GTX580 (slight overclock) paired with Q9650 @ 4GHz vs GTX580 on stock clocks paired with i7 920 @ 4GHz.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Blueacid

Blueacid Member

GPU:
    gtx 580
    How are u telling me its not possible when i tested it for 30 mins with furmark and hours in black ops?

I said 1050volt at 930.

Dunno if it will work in vantage but y would i care if it runs games smoothly?

12. dragomirc

dragomirc Guest

GPU:
    This is not possible.

13. DF-1

DF-1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    1) black ops doesn't fully use even my gtx 285 to get 60fps+ at 1920x1200 16x AA maxed, so a gtx 580 would see FAR less usage.

2)nvidia screwed with furmark. they made the card throttle so that is not a good test anymore (unless you use the un-throttle fix).

3) your cpu is going to be holding you back anyways. doesn't matter if you underclock by 150mhz or overclock by infinity, your gonna see the same FPS, bottleneck.