ASUS Launches PB287Q 28-Inch UHD Monitor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    ASUS today announced the PB287Q True 4K/UHD (ultra-high-definition) monitor, a 28-inch display designed for prosumers and gamers. The ASUS PB287Q features a 16:9 aspect 28-inch white light emitting di...

ASUS Launches PB287Q 28-Inch UHD Monitor

2. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    I won't be buying a 4K monitor until it has either 120hz refresh rate or it uses g-sync.

3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I won't be buying a 4k monitor until they exist.

4. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    hasn't 'Free'-Sync been accepted into the Display Standard ?
    I'd have thought G-Sync was dead by now....

This looks like it might be identical to the Phillips one announced today also.

I wouldn't mind going for an IPS version, even though TN panels have gotten a lot better over the years.

5. IOWA

IOWA Member

GPU:
    GTX980ti
    We all want an IPS version... is it so hard to understand? :bang:

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    As long as freesync doesn't have some kind of latency issue it probably will kill g-sync. Unfortunately none of Nvidia's current cards support freesync and who knows if Nvidia will add support for it in the future.

7. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    At least this supports 60Hz and is under a grand. Moving in the right direction. Give it a few more months and we will likely see 120Hz TN panels and 60Hz IPS.

8. SquirrelBoy

SquirrelBoy Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX770 Jetstream
    The naming inconsistency of resolutions still pisses me off as well.
    Not only did they suddenly go from counting horizontal lines to vertical ones, the screen doesn't even have 4000 vertical lines.
    We should stick to using the [horizontal lines]p, at least for 16:9 ratios, or be consistent with the HD naming scheme.

also, if Q(uad)HD (2560x1440) is four times HD (1280x720), why isn't FullHD (1920x1080) times four called QFHD?
    Even the name for four times 3840x2160 follows this rule, as it's called QUHD...

Oh, and to whoever thought it made sense that a resolution LOWER than FullHD should be called HD+ (more than HD), or even that the HD resolution is not actually the full HD resolution, What were you smoking?!
    :bang:

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    One of the CAD guys at the company I work for has the Dell 30hz one. I mean aside from the refresh rate being bad the worst part about using it is Windows DPI scaling. I would honestly say 80% of the apps don't properly scale their UI to it. Either you get ultra blurry text/UI elements or half the UI elements scale properly and the other half don't. Some applications (our accounting app, Starbuilder) is completely broke with elements just scaling off the screen.

I mean you can say it's the fault of app developers for not scaling, but I blame Microsoft for not forcing stricter standards earlier.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Main issue with TN are vertical viewing angles, as color just shift.
    And in case you make interlaced image (read "any content with high contrast horizontal lines") TN is totally unusable.
    Now in games with many elements if you had screen with native resolution 640x480, you would likely get a lot of high contrast areas and image would look very bad based on different viewing angles.

But with 4k each element and color transition or sharp edge cover much smaller part of screen (read 1/2 H/V of 1080p) and that means it reduces areas where TN artifacts are therefore making 4k TN more bearable than 1080p.

Now if you had interlaced image in resolution 1080p just black and blue lines, color will change as you look from up and bottom on 1080p.

But if you run 4k screen in 1080p resolution, each displayed pixel will be represented by 2 real LEDs removing part of color shift caused by TN technology.

Therefore TN 4k screens are not that bad idea. Bad idea is to have TN screen larger than 28" unless you sit quite far from it. Because larger the screen, higher viewing angle difference of pixels at top and bottom of screen, therefore same color represented by different HSL.

11. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    My next build is going revolve around WQHD (2560 x 1440) resolution. Achieving anything above 30-40 fps in 4k will cost you an arm and leg. Give it at least 2 years to mature, improve, and drop down in price. Not a wise decision to go 4k now, unless, of course you have tons of cash to burn.

12. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Actually its a bit of a problem, but i will say software developpers, at least professional ones should been updated really soon.

So for professionnal perspective, its not much a problem for the case i have encounter, but its completely true that for standard apps, its a problem.

For professionnal software, anyway the ones i use ( Autodesk products mainly ), we can edit completely the way it is displayed ( i dont speak about custom cuix or other simple way, but we can rescale anything and replace anything with icon and cuix who will be suited for this high resolution ), change the scale and size of anyway. .. This is the bigger advantage i can find on it, if you know how to modifiy the software, you can simply totally recreate and modifiy it.

For standard apps who dont allow this, ouch i have seen and read too terrible things..

WIndows "8.1" start to cover it better, ( still not perfect ) but now this is really to the softwares developpers to move..

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  13. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4090 Strix
    Really hope we see a monitor 4k past 36'', i really dont like the scaling on windows, i would prefer a bigger monitor.