Consoles dictate PC gaming now *rant*

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Serotonin, Dec 10, 2013.

1. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Cant really disagree with you there. It is nice to sit down and game, but sometimes i love playing around with setting, hardware,drivers etc. Nothing wrong with both! However i tend to see PC crowd better than console, all i get on console is annoying little kids, not everyone but most of the time. But thts just my experience.
    Either way its good to have both, you have friends around - fire up console and chill. You want to mod game, try different stuff - no problem you can do it all on PC :)

2. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    I start up my PC and play a game as well, its not really that hard. I might spend a few minutes configuring things to my liking, something I really miss when I play consoles.

3. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    Ill admit im tempted to get a ps4 for future games, but ill wait. Its not really worth it to play the same games I have on PC at similar quality. I like pc gaming and dont really care if anyone likes gaming on console, but OP seems like he wants someone to change his mind... Im not sure exactly lol. I can tell you that im most excited for star citizen, and I find black flag plays better on my pc than it does on ps4. I need a decent pc anyway, so the $180 i spent on my video card seems like a better deal than 400 for a ps4.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  4. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    No one is arguing that PC doesnt have its advantages but its drawbacks are seldom casted light on (sorry for the grammatical construction I'm not a native English speaker).
    The truth is for a huge majority of gamers a PS4 is a much better investment than a gaming PC at this time. PC is shrouded in uncertainty with regards to performance and level of support, a PS4 is sure to have games tailored for it and plenty of high quality exclusives and the best version of multiplatform games (compared to the Xbox One).
    When people say the gap in experience has been drastically reduced between consoles and PC I agree. It's very hard to recommend PC gaming to someone because there are very few AAA games to entice people to make the switch.

I still consider the PC as the best platform to play games on.....When they release on it that is.
    I love having the choice regarding performance/IQ trade offs but it seems many people don't value that at all.
    The bottom line is that anno 2013 PC gaming has very little to offer that isn't available in some form on PS4, consoles will remain the larger market for games. Does that mean the PC is on its path to irrelevance ? No, that's pushing it because we are talking about a profitable platform supported by the majority of AAA publishers, it's "niche" compared to the consoles install base of course.

The bottom line is that the OP is correct. Gaming has become so expensive and art assets have to be made profitable, as such very few games can afford to release on a single platform (AAA exclusives benefit from much higher visibility and are backed up by their respective platform holders), they can't afford to make 50-60 millions PC exclusive but they can on PS3/360 or Xbox One/PS4. Most of the technological advancements will be achieved thanks to consoles now. Whether or not high-end GPUs are capable of more will not matter, the baseline for multiplatform games will be the PS4/Xbox One.
    I'm not implying that PC versions won't look better on the right hardware but the crux of my argument is that consoles are where it's at basically.
    Token visual effects won't cut it I'm afraid, only 4K gaming will be a deciding factor for jumping in PC gaming and that's going to take a while.

Again, make no mistake I'm not saying that PC is doomed or anything but that consoles will remain as the major market for AAA games, the one that sell GPUs. The PC's "decline" is due to rising costs of development more than anything else.
    If high-end gaming was a cheap as it once was then you would have plenty of eyes melting PC exclusives that could turn into a profit with ease.
    Alas videogames kept on being more expensive to make and as anyone knows consoles have an larger install base.
    Yeah, I'm aware I'm not breaking new grounds here but I figured I had to point that out.

5. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    If you absolutely have to upgrade right now the ps4 is attractive, although it doesnt have much worthwile to play on it. By the time there are a good amount of worthwhile games on the ps4 PC gaming will be that much more advanced for a reasonable price. Who doesnt want to be able to game at 4k when its available? 4k will be a reality in just a few years, you already see 4k displays in some stores.

6. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    That's right the PS4's line-up is nothing impressive (played Killzone SF - it's ****) but quality software are on the way.
    Pertaining to 4K I think this is what's going to attract lots of people to PC gaming but the hardware isn't quite there yet. It's way too expensive for now.

We will see how the PC ecosystem will evolved but I'm not sold on the idea that it will turn things around : the next-gen consoles will remain the baseline and I can see why some people have made the choice to bail out from PC gaming.
    Those new machines may not be as powerful as the PS3/360 in 2005/2006 but they're still above a large portion of gaming PCs if Steam surveys are to be trusted (which they shouldn't 100%).
    However, PC gaming is in a much better shape than it was back in 2005-2008.

7. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    This is where you lose me. Either you don't understand what I'm trying to say or you're simply trolling as a PC elitist.

"By the time there are a good amount of worthwhile games on the ps4 PC gaming will be that much more advanced for a reasonable price."

That's my point! The power of a PC no longer matters. Consoles are where the engines start, yes, your fantastic PC will play a console game in a higher resolution with sharper textures. Great. But that's it. The PC has to sit around and wait for these games to be made on console before they're ported over. I was stating the scene isn't what it used to be, exclusives on the platform are dead with exception to indies and most indies are not visually pushing the limits of your video card.

Basically, you wait for a port so you can brag at how much nicer it looks on your rig. When in the hey day, you had complete games and experiences to brag about that no longer exist.

I will always love PC. But it's become more of a hassle than an enjoyment to play on.

8. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    the PC still has just as many exclusives as any other platform, even if they arent always your cup of tea. I love the total war games, starcraft, guild wars 2, DAY Z and star citizen is the most exciting game Ive seen in a long while. We are also seeing some cool things with kickstarter, bypassing the few big publishers who own the entire console market. EA, activision, 2k and ubisoft cant control everything anymore.
    Another game im looking forward to is http://eternity.obsidian.net/media/index, Id love to see what these guys can do without being pressured by greedy publishers. What is so exciting about the ps4?

9. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    First off, I own an xbox one, ps4 and a decent PC as you can see in my sig. So I want to make it perfectly clear I'm a gamer. I don't prefer ps4 or playstation to another brand, I enjoy games.

To answer your question though, Infamous 2, the God of War series, The Uncharted series, the upcoming GaiKai stream ability that promises sony's own way of backward compatibility for ps1 through ps3 and some interesting things for ps4/gaming as well. PSN+ where you are rewarded with free games monthly as well. The Order 1886, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, The Crew, PSN Indies and Arcade.

More importantly, the ability to not have to worry about upgrading drivers, suffer from broken ports, need to upgrade parts, etc.

If you enjoy PC gaming that's great. Like I said in my original post, I started PC gaming in the early 90's. I'm from a different time. If you didn't game back then (don't know your age) you probably just don't understand the differences I'm talking about. I never owned a ps2/xbox - I was strictly a pc gamer during that period, I didn't buy a 360/ps3 until they were both out for a couple of years. I've just had enough. I may upgrade my video card one more time when the next set of nvidia series hits, after that, I'm done. I just don't see the PC being innovative anymore with exception to periphials.

10. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    well i cant change what you see, I'm not real excited about xbox one or ps4 yet.. but you're right there are no driver updates. Plenty of broken games came out on last gen consoles, especially the ps3. I wouldn't say you are home free from broken games just because you are on a console. And technically pc gamers didn't need to upgrade past an 8800, but they sure as heck wanted to once 1080p screens were standard and games started scaling so high that console settings were the lowest possible settings on PC versions. Heck once games like far cry 3 starting coming out the only way to get a half way playable version was on PC.

I actually have a ps3 right now, and I actually like it for sony exclusives and japanese games I don't get on PC. Its also nice i can just pick it up and hook it up anywhere, but I think some complaints against pc gaming are just unrealistic and exaggerated.

11. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Thats a very very small percentage compared to all the problems on the PC platform.

12. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    I dont think so, half the games I play on console are broken in some way. Lower than 30 fps framerates are a terrible problem on console, horrible lag in many multiplayer games, screen tearing without any way to deal with it, textures popping in everywhere (gta v on ps3 got really bad at times, but not for everyone), consoles themselves breaking with no way of fixing without replacing the entire thing or paying an absurd amount of money, the entire online network going down for every game and having to wait an extended amount of time for patches. Its not just all fun and games on consoles.

On PC i get the odd issue on release, like RAGE when it first came out was broken with amd cards. Of course on PC gamers have much much higher standards, they will complain about the PC version as if the console version is somehow better. A game that runs at 20 fps on console at the lowest settings found on pc might not run at 60 fps, 1080p, maxed out on pc.

13. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    yeah good thing pc never has low framerates, horrible lag in multiplayer games, screen tearing because vsync isnt working , textures popping in , network going down. having to wait on patches.

Sorry, but these are all things that are happening on the pc as well.
    I really dont know why you mention these as console specific bugs.

14. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    didnt say anything about specific, just that half the console games I ever play have these sorts of problems. I also dont see how you can say the entire pc network has went down.. that can only happen on console. Alot of times framerate complaints on pc stem from lower than expected framerate, not a nearly unplayable one.

15. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I never said the entire pc network goes down. I was thinking of uplay, origin or steam

16. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    well anyway, I cant say gaming on PC is perfect. Ill even say that gaming on pc requires more technical knowledge, having to deal with game settings and driver updates. I really dont think console gaming is perfect either, maybe this new gen will be better but imo last gen was a mess at times. I cant believe how poorly some console games run, and oftentimes with barely any complaints. Its an entire different standard, but I guess things always just work, sort of. Even highly acclaimed games like the last of us cant keep 30 fps at times. I still enjoyed that game immensely, but couldn't help but wonder what it would be like on better hardware? What if I could turn down some settings to get a better framerate?

17. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    I don't think the pc versus consoles now is the same as pc versus consoles in the past.

Consoles went from game-centered machines to multimedia centered machines. PC's went from office/professional machines to multimedia centered machines.

As of now they're meeting in the centre. On the one side you have consoles which are much harder to use than their predecessors and on the other pc's, which are much easier to use than their predecessors.

- In the past you never had to worry about updating your machine, signing in and patching your games on consoles for example. On pc's you had to mess around with config.sys and autoexec.bat to get just enough free memory to actually play your games from a dos prompt.

- The consoles had joypads with 2-6 buttons, now they have at least 10 and 2 extra joysticks on a single controller! There is even some keyboard and mouse support here and there.

- The downside of consoles for me is that you're bound to a single brand per machine like nintendo, microsoft or sony. They dictate what happens and what doesn't happen on their products. Modding support is non-existant. There is also some serious lack of backwards compatibility (which is understandable due to the design)
    - The downside of pc's is that you're not guaranteed to be able to play the newest games on a decent detail level 5-10 years down the line, so the machine itself is much more expensive if you want to keep up a bit.

You can already see efforts to bridge the small gap between pc and console gaming with the steam box for example. There are still leaps to be made, but I don't necessarily think this is a bad development.

18. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I never understood this insurgence of 1080p, I was gaming on a 1600x1200 crt way before 1080p became what was in.

And I disagree with only needing an 8800 to play console games. Unless you mean simply at low detail, low res.

19. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    yes thats exactly what I meant, and for many people thats fine.

20. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Those are some of the very reasons i ditched PC gaming way back in 2006, and i would also put some of the blame on the internet, because it allowed pc game devs and publishers to throw broken games out the door with the safety net of patching it later after they have your cash, and irony of this is that consoles are now in this same situation.

Gamers should really not be blaming the hardware, the blame sits squarely on the shoulders of the game devs and publishers and the whole industry, who think it's fine to release broken and unfinished games, then go get review embargo's on their broken games in the hope of selling their broken product, then have the audacity to try and sell us cut content via the continually growing methods of paywall content they seem to have the time to implement into their unfinished and broken games, then bitch about the second hand market while personally setting digital downloads prices to levels of absurdity. lol