NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880 Details Surface

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 10, 2014.

1. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    yes the number of bit is just to compare the size of the "door" but if the exchange are done faster, then 256 bit is sufficient and can be faster in overal perf than a slower 384 bit.

about bottleneck... it's mainly an urban legend on modern PC despite what people write...

2. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Early speculation... but at least it might have 4GB vram, which is the sweetspot for me @1440p. I'm not too bothered by the fact that it probably not a "full" Maxxwell, because if they keep the pattern, the "full" editions of the cards will be branded as refresh 900 series and it will take up to 2 years from now for that to come out. No way I will wait that much with my upgrade.

3. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    Why do people complain about price from the ultra high end cards? You don't have to buy it, I've never had a game I couldn't max out with a £250 card, you have to be an idiot to buy a £500 card. You'll never use most of it's potential as Game software doesn't require and within a year it is dated because they've made new features that are new card only.

Like people going on about needing a 780ti or whatever for 1440p resolutions..... like no, it isn't true and especially with these new low level APIs coming out. Why do you have to run games at 240hrz/120hrz or whatever? I've got a 120hrz monitor and I see no difference in gameplay between that and my 60hrz one in CS:GO or any Racing Sim I play. I'm just convinced people buy into numbers and convince themselves it looks better or something. The only thing they're probably seeing is latency has to be less on a 120hrz panel or ghosting will appear, where the latency can be a bit higher on a 60hrz panel before you see ghosting.

Once stuff like G sync becomes popular, it wont matter needing to hit a certain FPS to lock it so you don't get screen tearing any ways.

4. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    Gtx 880 crap!!

I don't like GTX 880!!! Because GM204 chip will be mid-end or bottom-high-end and have only 256-bit. :confused: But I will buy new top-end single GPU card (eg: GTX Titan 2 or GTX Titan Maxwell). :)

"GTX Titan xxx" is fast double precision. ;)

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    True, but there are ways to alleviate that where narrow bus widths can be made more efficient, ie, thru advanced compression techniques and where enough bandwidth can be squeezed out to compete with much high bus-width cards. Example, 660ti (192bus) vs 7950 (384bus). Even at high res, 2560x1600, look how well it does:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...-roundup-asus-evga-gigabyte-galaxy-msi-9.html

So bus-width is not the be-all end-all of GPU performance, especially with newer or different architecture cards.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  6. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    If you cant tell the diff between 60hz vs 120hz, then what do you hope to get out of g-sync?

Also, im well aware that im not forced to buy anything. Thanks for that generic comment. But lets get real here. Games require more and more brute force these days and devs are either getting lazy or or given less and less time to optimize. And i doubt you can max oit every game with one £250 card.

Last. Sli is not broken, cant speak for amd users and dual+ cards. Get ovet it. It works and i wouldnt bother gaming on pc without it at the current price of ti' and titans these days, unless i was just playing emulators.

7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Funny how your title says "gtx 880 crap!" with thumbs down while you havn't even seen a review.

(sorry i should have known... "don't feed the trolls")

8. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    Trolls!?!?!? NO!! It's normal!

9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Now Now, lets not have another watch dogs thread. Assume every comment is based on the OP.

10. Smooth Operator

Smooth Operator Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX690
    For a start the GTX680/580 and 480 all released at around £400, it's only been the Titan et al. which have had the prices pumped, with the 780 at £500 and the 780Ti at £600, which means the price is now £200 more than before and £100 more than even the 780 which was already over the odds.

Secondly you may well be maxing the games YOU play but you are not for a fact maxing every game at 60fps like Crysis 3, Metro, Assetto Corsa, need I go on?

Finally SLI has been working perfectly for me on my 690 apart from a few less high profile games that don't support it which for me hasn't been many and some of those you can get SLI bits working in nvidia inspector.

11. Dellers

Dellers Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti Trio
    I disagree. I'm pretty much always able to utilize my graphic cards, and I usually buy high end stuff. I think that's required to play games how I want them to be.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything less than two 780Ti cards for 1440p. If I went 1440p now 780Ti SLI would be the only thing I'd consider. That is barely enough to keep some games above 60 fps, and it's not like everyone changes hardware every year. I do not, but I still want to be able to achieve 60 fps for a while, not just in previously released games. Also, some of us use 3d. That requires a 120 Hz screen and some serious graphics card power. For premium gaming experiences it takes a lot of really expensive hardware, but I think it's worth it and have no problems utilizing everything.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  12. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    definitely. An 8bit bus would be fine if the bus speed was high enough. People shouldn't get hung up on numbers without understanding the big picture.

13. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    But we dont know if the bus speed is going to be high enough to compensate, so to say 'If he bus speed is fast enough etc etc'.. Is also speculation. But the the assumption of 256 being to small is based on past cards and thats what most people are going on.

14. SquirrelBoy

SquirrelBoy Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX770 Jetstream
    YOU, make sure your 120hz monitor has it's own 120hz screen profile in Windows. If it does, grab a window and move it across your 2 screens. Notice the smoother movement on the 120hz one.

If you still can't see any difference, try to find out if you can make your backlight strobe at 120hz. This will almost completely remove ghosting and you'd have to be blind not to see the difference.

15. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    Faster bandwidth memory = faster pixel fillrate. :)

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    My 680s at 7200 had sufficient memory bandwidth at 230gb's. This clocked at 7400 and most likely oc to 8ghz is sufficient.

17. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Hope so, im just looking at so called leaked specs and then speculating. If it turns out to be enough then super.

18. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    These specs seem like bull**** to me.

19. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    It is enough you have to take into account memory speed. My 680s had more bandwidth than my 580s and both had sufficient bandwidth.

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    We'll looks like I will be waiting on the Maxwell refresh if this is true.