Stange bottleneck

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by The General, Jan 11, 2017.

1. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Hey guys, I'm using a 550 ti 1gb with a e6600 2.4ghz cpu and I'm getting a strange bottleneck or something , but its only affecting recording and a weird sound stuttered. Let me give you some examples:

The Bad
    If i have winamp open or any sound music player and I'm sitting at my desktop , if i hit refresh, the music will start to stuttered/slow down. If i have the music player open and open up steam, not only does steam slow down but so does the music with the video player, its like a "drag", like something is dragging alone. Its weird. Recording games, whatever i use fraps or bandicam , say a game is moving at 60fps, i hit record it drops down to 18-25 framerate. Even at 1368x768 or 1600x900, same issue. I am also atm getting some sound cracking when listening to winamp and i open up another program. And using a sound card does not help, it actually makes things worse. Along with installing sp1 and platform update, so i haven't put them back on.

The Good
    Well despite what i said above, games are wondering perfectly for the ones i have tested, GTA SA, Shade Wrath, Clive Barkers Jericho, Nightbanes, all solid 60fps, at 1920x1080 or 1600x900. So games are working perfect. Here's another thing, I use DM and at 1080 60fps videos , no sound issues, no stuttering or anything. Same with Youtube, 1080p 60fps no issues, all running smooth.

So i am curious why everything is working great, but recording sucks :( The only thing that comes to mind, the e6600 can't keep up with the 550 TI ? Because when i had my Q6600 i never had this problem, even though i believe certain new games like paragon was being bottleneck. Any ideas?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You can monitor your CPU, storage and GPU usage.
    Which OS btw?

3. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Specs in profile, windows 7 64bit. Why should i monitor my cpu and stuff?

4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Sounds normal to me. You have two CPU cores now, while previously you had four.

FRAPS can record using one core, and you still had three cores left. Now you only have one core left.

5. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Exactly this.

When I had a e6750 @ 3.1, Fraps would still max both cores to 100%.

But even the q6600 @ 2.4 stock it would be roughly 85% recording in the same game.

Massive CPU bottleneck for game recording.

6. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Well this is a whole different than the one i had before. But i can record just fine without the GPU , just using the on board video GMA 4500HD. But when i use the video card, games run about a million times faster, but i can't record good and i get these weird sound stuttering cracking noises when just listening to music and have multiple things running at the same time. So i guess you're right, using a dual core can keep up with the card

Oh well, guess i wait until i have the cash and buy a decent rig or build a better one. NO point in buying another q6600 when i just had one and threw it in the trash by mistake months ago. :bang:

7. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    That's strange though that's its only affecting recording. And everything for the most part runs flawless.

8. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Thats because Fraps has no hardware decoder for the GPU.

Its entirely CPU base.
    Even a GTX 650 would net way better recording with shadowplay due to hardware encoding on GPU.

Fraps kills the FPS by 40% on even a 4770k at 1080p.
    Shadowplay has about 10% fps hit.

9. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Well its not just fraps, its bandicam also. just seems like the dual core can't keep up with my card. Because without the card , using onboard video recording is just fine. Could also be the cheap dell 745 MB LOL. I'm going to upgrade fully soon sometime next month. I will just record what i can until i am able too upgrade.

10. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    I found something finally where i can record much better, example when i play nightbanes on steam, i get 60fps at 1600x900 max and when i start to record it drops down to 18-22, now it stays around solid 37fps. Shade Wrath is another game, drops down to 15-20fps, now its staying at a solid 30 frames.

The program I'm using is:
    https://mirillis.com/en/products/action.html

Overall its much better than fraps and bandicam, only flaw every game doesn't seem to want to detect it, so the games that does not, i just record at at 1368x768 using fraps or bandicam. Peace :)

11. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Recording to a second HHD can speed things up to

12. nixon

nixon Member

GPU:
    GTX570
    yeah I would try this, it helps a lot

13. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    No difference, cpu is too slow to keep up with the card, that's all. Workaround until i completely upgrade is to use that recording software, and also just lower the resolution when recording to 1366x768(with some games)
    https://mirillis.com/en/products/action.html

:)

I have a second e8400 cpu, but there's no bios that i know of that allows me to use 45nm on the dell 745. Not sure why kentsfield's work , but not wolfdale. Isn't kentfield newer than wolfdales?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    The 745 only supports CPUs with FSB of 1066mhz or lower. E8400 is 1333 FSB.

You will need something like a E7600 or Q6800.

15. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    e7600 won't work = 45 nm (unless there's a bios mod that enables 45nm?)
    q6800 is way too price, so is q6700. q6600 is like 11-15 dollars. But i don't think its worth it, considering i already had it and threw it in the trash by mistake. Not even sure why lga's are so pricey anyway, quads should cost no more than 5 bucks.

Most likely when i have the cash next month, newegg flash is my best option for a nice cheap desktop. i5 quad cores is what I'm going to get.

16. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I have an i3-2100 and some ddr3-1333 if you need it...you could get a cheap 1155 mobo and it would be better than what you have.

17. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    I'm going with a i5 quad core next month, will have the money then. And buying a 4gb OC 1050ti pny card. :) Finally i will have something decent after all these years of old hardware :wanker:

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You should probabaly grab rx470 instead. It will last you longer.

19. I have to ask.. How in the hell did you throw away a CPU, by mistake/accident?

20. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Short story, i had two computers, one was a AMD single core with a nice MB , and i had my Custom built Quad core with a cheap MB, and i had a q6600 in it. At the time i didn't know how to use thermal paste correctly, well i did, but for some reason idk what i was thinking, i started to wipe the pin with a rag and didn't realized i was removing the pins lol. Well, i got pissed and just idk went crazy and the quad core wasn't working anymore obviously and i just threw everything away in the trash without even thinking because i was so frustrated with myself.

All good , e6600 and 550 ti is working fine atm, can play all my older games and mid games just fine. And next month i will buy something better :) I'm using toothpaste as my replacement for thermal paste to keep my e6600 cool and 3 fans. Here's a photo of my rig atm.

[​IMG]