Afterburner 1.6.0 Beta 4 (2010-04-15) Add GeForce GTX 480 Over-Voltage!

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Garrett_Wu, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Garrett_Wu

Garrett_Wu Member Guru

Dear All

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Afterburner 1.6.0 Beta 4 is released, in this version Unwnider add 2 exciting features. One is highly expected GeForce GTX 480 over-voltage function, the other is special "CaptureVoltageDefault" for AMD 5800 series BIOS issue.

Download:http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/images/MSIAfterburnerSetup160Beta4.rar

[GeForce GTX 480 Over-Voltage]
    In Afterburner 1.6.0 Beta 4, you can adjust the voltage of GeForce GTX 480 from 0.825~1.125V. It's not very big adjustment range, but considering egg-cooking capability of GeForce GTX 480, it is safe to stay in this range.

GeForce GTX 470 over-voltage support will be ready in next version.

[Capture Voltage Default]
    There are some negative comments on newegg about R5830 Twin Frozr II(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127491&Tpk=R5830), I will explain what really happen and what "Capture Voltage Default" function is.

In Afterburner, we use a hidden BIOS ID database to identify each card and define voltage adjustment range. The negative comment is right, the PWM on R5830 Twin Frozr II is up6206 which doesn't support I2C voltage adjustment, that's why we add another up6266 I2C chip to support over-voltage. All MSI R5800 series support over-voltage, we can guarantee that!

The trick part is AMD provide us different kind of 5830/5850/5870 GPU -- high voltage and low voltage one. There is NO way to tell which is which by outlook or BIOS ID, they're all the same except different GPU default 3D voltage. Also different GPU use different I2C address to adjust voltage, so it cause us a lot of trouble for the last few weeks, because we can't use database to specify different I2C address on exact same BIOS ID graphics card.

Right now R5830 Twin Frozr II still has this bug, some of R5830 Twin Frozr II can be detected by Afterburner with over-voltage function, but can't adjust it. If you encounter this issue, just follow below step and build your own database specifically for you card and fix the problem once for all!

1. Edit MSIAfterburner.cfg
    2. Change AllowCaptureVoltageDefaults from 0 to 1
    3. Run Kombustor in windowed mode
    4. Press <Ctrl> + <Alt> + <Shift> + <V> to capture voltage
    5. Done!

2. JEskandari

JEskandari Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 (95w)
    come on GTX480 Failed miserably in Egg-Cooking test ;)
    I wonder that limitation in changing voltage is due to new Hardware Limitation or is just a safety measure to prevent something like Chernobyl happen again.

by the way if I'm not wrong that would be 0.15v in every direction which I think is very good for a card that just come out recently.

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

The voltage is controlled by means of NVIDIA driver on GF100 series, currently range is limited by safeguard limits of NVIDIA drivers and BIOS. Don't think that we'll go low-level voltage control way with Fermi like it is done with VT1165 on 5800 series or on NV GTX200 series for example. Doesn't worth the errorts for such HOT chip. Furtermore, from my initial impressions CHL8266 don't seem to support software programmable power management like VT1165 so attempts to override voltage directly wll most likely kill power management and GPU downvolting in idle. You don't want to see 90C in idle in case of using voltage control, don't you?

4. meds

meds Guest

GPU:
    Awesome! I Love msi afterburner!

5. Unwinder

A few additional and important notes:

1) Voltage defaults are captured from currently selected power state and its voltage. It means that you must perform this procedure when full 3D voltage is selected (that is why it is critically important that the capture must be performend while 3D application like Kombustor is running). If you capture defaults when GPU voltage is in idle, Afterburner will configure its voltage control circuit to this power state and will also adjust idle voltagae instead of 3D. So ensure that you capture proper power state voltage.
    2) Overriden database parameters are stored in your GPU profile. You may delete your hardware profile files (.\Profiles\VEN_xxx........cfg files) to undo it.
    3) <Ctrl> + <Alt> + <Shift> + <V> works only when Afterburner window is focused. It is NOT a global hotkey. Succesful capture is reflected by "Voltage defaults captured" hint message displayed in monitoring window.
    4) It is recommended to return AllowCaptureVoltageDefaults back to 0 after performing the capture to reduce risk of overwriting settings due to erroneous <Ctrl> + <Alt> + <Shift> + <V> press in future.
    5) You may use this procedure to get proper voltage control on different cards with VT1165, which are not officially supported by Afterburner (e.g. some early GTX260 216 using GTX260 192 PCB or reference cards with modified voltage tables in BIOS).

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  6. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    its 6am here and i just did alittle testing...a few questions if i may...
    first and foremost ...no volt monitoring? or is it just me?(yes checked box)
    two is the damn driver going to turn off all the fun with a preset limit? say 900?

as for sli i think its working fine from yeaterdays test 800 maxish to today with 1100 860ish not bad i'd say and thank you for the effort.

7. Unwinder

It is not enough to just check box near "Unlock voltage monitoring" to get it working. Considering that voltage monitoring can be unsafe I've added two protection levels, just ticking "Unlock voltage monitoring" adds core voltage graph to the list of available graphs in <Monitoring> tab but disables voltage monitoring by default, you still need to manually enable it in the list of available graphs to get it working.

8. Unwinder

Yes, there are guarband limits for clocks too in any NVIDIA driver for any graphics card. Cannot give you exact values for GTX480, but as far as remember the limits are really conservative and it will not limit you (should be set to 1.5GHz or so to face it).

9. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ok boss i'm sry about the monitoring thing i was still sleeping.
    ok all working oc/volt wise in sli even...one little favor or suggestion...a "ride the lighting" check box that opens up overclock maximum's for shader by 250 or 300 what do you say? i'm close to the limit on air.
    or is that somrthing else i should know that i missed?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  10. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Master Guru

Looking forward to the GTX 470 version :D...

11. TurboMan

TurboMan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW 3
    Somebody test with GTX 480, come on !

12. Unwinder

"Somebody" is two posts above yours.

13. TurboMan

TurboMan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW 3
    I didn't get it , did he get improvement ? My MSI 480 is coming end of this week or next week...

1100 ? What voltage did you use for the 860ish - 1.1 ?

14. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    to find your max clocks on this card is easy,you go by temps..
    if your in a hot area..idling at 60c how far you think your going to go with volts?...no where i'll tell ya.
    ....if you did not get your card yet adding volts should be of no concern to you....yet. vmod results should be easy enuff to find out when you have the card in hand.

15. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Master Guru

My card (GTX 470) is maxing out at about 82c during multi-hour sessions with Battlefield Bad Company 2 (DX11) @ 720core/3520mem... dying to see how much higher I can go with a little voltage... the memory can go to around 3900 on its own but not in conjunction with the core, while remaining completely artifact-free. This is with fan locked at a comfortable 70%.

16. EmBoLa.be

EmBoLa.be New Member

GPU:
    MSI 5850 Twin Frozr II
    i am still having problems with mine 5850 twin frozr, and i can't seem to capture voltage, i can go as high as 1.139V but if i wanna go higer i'll get a black screen, and on msi site of 5850 twin frozr, it says, UP to 1.3V

17. mehdi

mehdi Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5970
    So any brand of 480 can use this to overvolt? and can you overvolt as much as asus smart doctor?

18. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Master Guru

It appears so... won't know for sure until the 470-compatible one comes though, on my end :).

Hopefully in the next couple days...

19. jimmy545

jimmy545 Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 580
    what's the stock voltage value for the 480 in afterburner? 0.975?

Youre saying 860 core from 700 with 1100mV - is it perfectly stable? -At what fanspeed? 90somethin?

20. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    whats stable your favorite console port?? i could care less about games and dont forget nothing is ever perfect.

65f night in n.j right now

fan 100% sli gtx 480 860 core 1.088 vantage testing open bench cards have 3 added fans...two 80's in front and one 120 on top of the cards heatpipes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

benchies max repeatable clocks in vantage, which is not my favorite game but it does seem to heat up the card better then 06 05 or even 03.

ok that all said i can go 850 with a single card stock volts when the max temps are under 45c...add volts if you want :nerd:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010