Setting Up PC Hardware- A full guide

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Rifle_Grunt, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Guest

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    I really enjoyed the large pictures. Really allows you to see what the guide is referring too which is extremely important for people putting together their first computer. It would have been awesome if the pictures were all around the same size, so varied right now it really makes the guide have a "cluttered" feel to it, and if you could click on them for super large images.

Whenever I take pictures with my camera I always choose 6 to 8 mega pixels so they are enormous. Then I resize as needed and because they are so large the smaller pics look a lot better. As far as learning more about sata, check out this wiki definition.

2. SorienOR

SorienOR Guest

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    I like it, the work you put produced a nice result.

However I always bench-test the board, cpu, ram and video prior to installing in the case.

3. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    the parts about the board were writen before i got the shark which has a removlable mobo tray so i am now more able to do that.

I am trying to edit the points said. I do have the pics for the driver cleaner bit but they are at the top of my docuent but forgot to upload them. Expect the hilighted points to be finnished today or tomorrow.

4. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    Done

View the quote for my change log so far

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007

5. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    looks good man!you definately spent some time on that.well deserved pat on the back for the effort you put into that guide.
    stick it :D

6. Sparx

Sparx Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD 6950 OC 2GB
    Cheers mate. ;)

The guides looking pretty good, should become a sticky shortly after ironing out all the minor bugs/typos. :D

7. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    Ok that's all of wildstyles changes done I think!

Edit: got some pics on sata from tat3 that i am going to try and get posted up soon.

8. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Very Cool Guide, I found alot of useful things in it:coffee2:

Thanks and props to you :):):) also sticky-worthy

9. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I took it on myself to edit your dual channel bit as I'm fussy about it, lol. Hope you don't mind.

I guess there isn't too much need for IDE stuff as most manuals will explain it and it's phased out now anyway.

Last thing I'd say is people may need to be reminded about flicking the switch on the back of the PSU. Otherwise they may wonder why no powers getting to the system.

It is stuck by the way. The previous build sticky although well written was getting on a bit and had no images. It's in the links section now.

Think that's enough reading about computer stuff for me, gives me headaches these days...

10. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    Haha! Yes stickyfied!:approval: I will try and get it fully edited over the next few days. The edit by you causes me no bother at all!

edit- yes I added the PSU bit at the end for those not cleaver enough to figure out there PSU is off before panicking lol!

11. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Guest

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    Congrats Rifle_Grunt on getting it stickied. Now just sit back and be prepared for what all guides receive. Endless torrents of questions by new users that visit the forum in need of PC aid. I've thought about writing a guide on this subject, more of an extensive FAQ actually, for several months but just didn't have the drive to support all the people that would surely come knocking on my door for help months upon months after the guide had been written. I commend you for your dedication and wish you the very best of luck! :thumbup:

12. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    nice guide!

i wouldnt advise on installing the CPU/HSF when the motherboard is already mounted on the case though :)

even the stock coolers need some force to fasten properly (not the mention aftermarket coolers like my thermalright ultra 120) :(

so its better (and easier) to install the CPU/HSF first before mounting the mobo to the case

other than that, thats how i did mine too :D

13. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    Haha, yes good point. I origanly was drawn here to try and fix my artifacting 6600 graphics card and have been captivated by the community ever since!

14. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Guest

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    And for me it was needing help building my first budget PC and then, a year later, the PC in my profile to the left. This community is the best PC based community I've found on the net. Truly good people here :cheers:

15. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    Too true!

Edit: V 1.3- Added serial ATA section.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007

16. Sparx

Sparx Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD 6950 OC 2GB
    Ahh it's a guide! Not an FAQ centre. He doesn't even have to check back to this thread or answer any questions! No questions should really be asked here, they should be in there own separate thread.

This = Guide for people to follow, not to question. ;)

17. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Guest

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    Well this is the kind of thing people are going to have questions about. Especially since this guide doesn't deal with an Intel based system as well. Guides need to be updated as things change. Once you've demonstrated knowledge and a willingness to teach it is only a matter of time before people seek you out for assistance. Just look at the Guide To RAM stickied in this same forum. 23 whole pages of people asking additional questions or for help with their specific situation.

18. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    no help required yet

19. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Guest

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    I'm surprised but not at the same time. This thread is in its infancy compared to the other stickies. It is extremely helpful but I think most of the people who find their way to Guru probably already have a basic understanding of a computer. I'd still bet money you'll be getting personal requests for help by the end of the year. Hell I get at least one PM a week from somebody asking me for help picking out computer parts or for help designing a low budget PC. Don't even have a sticky to call my own lol.

So is the lack of contact disappointing or are you relieved?

20. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    Indiferent rly. I am perfectly happy to sort out problems however no comments also gives me more time to play on world in conflict lol