Nvidia Geforce 7800gs Agp Is Here!!! Want To Share Ur Comments?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by moab600, Feb 2, 2006.

1. otaku

otaku Guest

GPU:
    8800,640gts sli
    yeah you can do this on the cheap. the next time us amd boy upgrade we will probably have to buy new ram (ddr2) so thats another cost

2. Halo 273

Halo 273 Master Guru

GPU:
    POV Geforce 7800 GT
    I agree i think its some kida of attempt to force ppl to upgrade to pci-e. because look at the card, it prolly barely outperforms a 6800 ultra and at such heavy price its a joke.

3. m0bb

m0bb Member Guru

Actually If the price comes down enough I'll prolly buy it.
    I really need a new graphics card, ram, speakers, a soundcard, powersupply, mousepad, and mouse (maybe a keyboard too). And that'll all come down to about 650 - 700 €. Then next year when I'll be able to afford it, I'll do a full upgrade with all the bells and whistles (AM2/ DDR2/G80 or whatever NV or ATI have out at that point in time) and get my self a top of the line system.
    Why upgrade from a mediocre system based on agp to a mediocre system based on pci-e, which will perform about the same?

4. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    true, but why buy a pretty good graka now when you are going to use another one next year?

5. JamesDax

JamesDax Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GeForce 7600GS
    First everyone was saying that there would never be any 7800 AGP and now that there is they want to say how poor it is. Fact is it's cheape, runs faster, runs cooler and uses less power then a 6800Ultra AGP which you can hardly find anymore. As for it being the fastest AGP card. Well, benches show that it's about neck and neck with the X850XT but it's a better alternative for future games and it's cheaper. Yes, no more $200 after rebate X850XTs from microcenter.

So, to all those AGP board users with 6800nu's a below, go for it. It's a great upgrade.

6. David_L6

David_L6 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX
    So was I.

What disapoints me more than lack of pipes is no VIVO. I skipped the 6800 series because they don't have VIVO. I use my AGP computer to record VHS tapes to digital media with a Leadtek A380 (5950 Ultra). I guess I'll skip this one too....

7. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    the point that its cheaper and neck and neck with a 6800 ultra is irrelevant. the 6800 ultra was that expensive because it was the best nv card at the time. the 7800gs costs the same as a 7800gt, and its performance is a lot lower.
    the point you made about everyone complaining, is exactly the one i wanted to make in my previous post(#13 in this thread), namely that imo, they want to say that we dont really want a 7800 on agp, because we complain now that we have one.
    btw, its not that hard to find an x850xt cheaper than a 7800gs, but i agree that its a great upgrade for anyone with a card lower than 6800nu.

8. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I remember back before this card was released, all the same people were bashing those who upgraded to PCI-e and a 7800GTX, GT saying that they had wasted their money, and saying that they should've waited for the 7 Series AGP card (even though originally there wasn't going to be one). Now those same people are bashing the card they were glorifying???

9. StreeTunder

StreeTunder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 1024Mb
    Will be out any PCI-E Geforce 7800GS ?

10. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    pimp_gimp, read my previous post. this card isnt what those bashing pci-e wanted, yes it is a 7 series card, but in no way comparable in performance to 7800gt, let alone gtx. this isnt because of the agp bus, but because it only has 16 pipes, and is clocked lower.

11. JamesDax

JamesDax Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GeForce 7600GS
    I doubt you could find a NEW X850XT for less then $300 right now but I'll take your word for it. Either way, the 7800GS is the better investment.

12. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
  13. JamesDax

JamesDax Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GeForce 7600GS
  14. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    which one, the one about the performance being the same as the 6800 Ultra? If so yeah I understand what you mean I know that this card isn't what those bashing PCI-e wanted, I know its alot slower than expected, do we know why nvidia did that? Yes, to make people move to PCI-e, Do I know why nvidia only made this chip 16/6, no? They probably did it that way because the 7800GS chip probably isn't native AGP, and is probably limited by the HIS bridge and such, I'm sorry but I don't know why nvidia crippled this card so much, but I'm guessing its limitations with the HIS bridge and the AGP platform.

15. JamesDax

JamesDax Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GeForce 7600GS
    This quote is from Firingsquads review giving Nvidias reasons for setting up the 7800GS the way they did:

Seems reasonable to me.

16. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    yep, that one, no-one knows why they made it 16/6 and those clocks, bt if the evga co superclock is 460/1350, i doubt it is a limitation of the hsi chip.
    sorry james, my bad, i understand what you mean now.

17. joarangoe

joarangoe New Member

GPU:
    MSI FX5500 td256
    Ok so the 7800GS uses the same core as GTX cards (G70). Will there be any chance of unlocking the other 8 pipes and the shader?? that would be awesome.

18. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Yeah, probably not, but still the question remains why did nvidia do it the way they did? they've could've at least done it 20/7 (same as the GT), and done it with a little faster clocks. Still doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrade, If I hadn't already done it, I would've just gone to PCI-e anyways, with how the card turned out.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  19. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Probably not, they are probably hardlocked (anyone with RivaTuner and a 7800GS can confirm), as the extra 4 pipes on the 7800GT are.

20. m0bb

m0bb Member Guru

Cause the fx5600 I have right is not satisfying my needs. simple. lol