Grand Theft Auto 5 out on PC early 2014

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Said it before in other threads on this:

Rockstar games did not do the PC port for GTA IV and are not doing the port this time either.

My guess is they are working on RDR for next gen, and probably have game engine tools for multi platform (xb1, ps4, PC) development and deployment.

One of the issues with Rockstar games is their usage of multiple tech when developing a game versus someone like DICE who have one unified game engine.

DICE can push a button and get a complied copy of BF4 for ps3/4, xb360/1, PC and this can also be navigated via a web browser/app via mobile/cell/tablet etc.

Rockstar just don't have this capability with their tools and, as impressive as I find GTA V, I fully realise that the development of the game probably resulted in serious amounts of coding migraines due to lack of tools.

It looks like the 360 and ps3 versions were both written (at code level) from the ground up - independently.

2. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    Early 2014 would be great but I don't think we will see it that close to the consoles' launch.

May-June 2014 seems far more likely to me.

3. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    All the good things come to those who wait & I can't wait for the pc version :p .

4. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    It seems like you have forgotten your roots, or well memory. because if you knew anything about the GTA series, you would know that the pc version has ALWAYS been delayed after the console release.

This has been happening since GTA 3, which means it's been 12 years. can you fathom how long 12 years are? if so you wouldn't be spewling **** about rockstar and saying they don't care about the pc market.

They could have completely scrapped GTA IV or made it completely un moddable after the whole hot coffee incident with GTA:SA.
    But what did they do? they still released it on pc on time like the previous titles and with full mod support. maybe not so much for ENB, but that's mostly because they reworked the shadows and such in the game with later patches.

So if anything, it's people like you who don't care about the pc market and rather act like a whiny kid because you didn't get to play this on release day. deal with it, it's been happening
    For 12 years, you had enough time to get used to it. and plenty of other games comes out 3 or so months after consoles like Assassins Creed. the only difference is Rockstar
    Is paid to not make an announcement until shortly before release, where's the harm in that? we all know the game is coming.

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    ^
    I'm not buying it either. Just because traditionally it has been released for consoles first doesn't make it right. No doubt the PC version is what they have 90% completed first before they even have most of the resources they need to begin slopping together the console version. They do this try to get more sales thinking piracy is lower on consoles, despite all things pointing to the opposite, and because the console versions typically cost more.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  6. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    im gonna wait forthe performance reviews first before i buy and if any issues ill wait to see how r* respond to requests for patches from the community. if its no more than a week or two(i can possibly wait a month) then ill grab it the week of launch. if patch is more than a month than ill pick it up when price drops from launch price.

7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
  8. toshevopc

toshevopc Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 290 Tri-X OC
  9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Hell, as long as theres some decent AA and rez support... and performance is not like GTAiv of old, then im in.

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Awww, no Mantle :'(. Seriously though, going by how badly GTA IV performed, Mantle would be a very good thing!

11. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    yeah mantle would be excellent for this game, I love my mantle. :)

12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Yep just can't play games without it anymore. :banana:

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Seems Nvidia fan's are just jealous ;).

PC gaming absolutely needs evolutionary change, and Mantle is just that. Optimisation is much easier under Mantle, meaning if something similar was out several years ago (or DirectX was like Mantle) GTA IV would have run quite well on a standard machine of the day. Not run like a pig for the next 4 years even on higher end machines.

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    How can we be jealous of vaporware? All we've seen of Mantle is some slides and a hands off controlled demo.

15. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    I wanna play too!!

I tested Mantle on a friends HD5770 and it outperformed my 780Ti!!! :D

16. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Nvidia fans - you have to consider DirectX and OpenGL are currently crippling PC gaming. Maybe if Nvidia spent more time looking at improving standards instead of proprietarising new stuff they could have done something like this themselves (as long as it isn't proprietary long term). They could have improved OpenCL, they could have improved and implemented what free-sync is (which after all, is merely just an existing standard that's not really been implemented), but they are too busy trying to dominate.

Yes it's true PC games almost always look better than the console equivalents, but look at the extra processing power we have to chuck at it to do this. It's like having two identical engines in a car, one in a heavy old steel body car, and the other in a carbon-fibre/polymer car, the carbon-fibre/polymer car will kick arse. At the moment, PC's are those steel body cars, but just having a bigger engine in it to make up for the considerably heavier weight and less efficiency. Well, OpenGL and DirectX are that Steel body car, heavy and impedes performance potential. Mantle overcomes this and allows for that big engine to run in the carbon-fibre frame, you can make better use of the performance.

Actually with Mantle PC gaming may actually pick up, if Mantle is adopted widely enough. The reason for this is people won't have to spend massive amounts on the computer just to get decent enough framerates to play the latest games on their 1440P monitor. Actually think future here... On their 4K UHDTV! Or their 5K 21:9 UHDTV (yes, they have come into existence). Yes, these TV's are expensive, but people won't have to spend more on their computer than on their TV. In fact, UHDTV's are becoming available for around $1000 now (low end models). You could build a decent PC and use a UHDTV, considering Mantle use, with change from $2000. This would be a consideration for many people, because you can use the UHDTV for other things too...

When it comes down to it though, like it or not, PC gaming does need Mantle. If Mantle fails, PC gaming is destined to fail as well (unless there is yet another thing), that's the sad fact. Yes, I can safely say FACT about that. DirectX won't be progressing anytime soon, OpenGL faces the same issues as DirectX in terms of performance and programmability. Even if OpenGL can be tweaked performance wise, it still needs the heavy work for each game, and the differences between AMD and Nvidia, cards etc. If Mantle takes off, and Nvidia choose to start using it (they'd be idiots not to, but the outcome is probably self explanatory), it would be the best thing for PC gamers. Optimisation apparently won't have to be done on a per-game basis, it will be inherently built in! Any graphic related issues will be apparent from the outset, no tweaking required for different cards, developers could spend more time on better PC versions and still have time left over. Development in DirectX and OpenGL is apparently quite nightmarish to get it working on all cards straight from the outset, and needs to be done on a per-game basis. Unfortunately for the moment they'll have to develop for DirectX or OpenGL as well, but it's really not an inconvenience due to the ease of Mantle development, and the fact the shaders are compatible with Mantle.

So, you won't have the issues of your i7-4770K@4.5 GHz bottlenecking your twin GTX 780's or R9-290X's when you're running 2160P.

Yes, this argument is still valid for GTA V, because Rockstar games are notoriously bad performers (in both stability and performance) for what they are on PC, the performance and programmability ease of Mantle would go a long way to resolve this issue.

It's a simple case that PC gaming will either evolve (with Mantle, Freesync, and whatever else) or die (under inefficient tech like DirectX, OpenGL, proprietary forcing etc).

17. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Yet PC gaming is still alive. But the difference is that a technology such as Mantle is more than welcome. I believe there are technicalities beyond our recognition that do not give us certainty that Nvidia, will, or even be able to, adopt Mantle, despite what AMD or Nvidia say or might say.

Mantle won't transform your PC magically into a higher-end PC, though. It might be equivalent to a GPU generation upgrade, given the 45% figure is true, on the GPU side. But where Mantle really matters, IMO, is in reducing the CPU bottleneck, and allowing a new generation of RTS games that do not get super low FPS when there are hundreds and thousands of unit on-screen, besides reducing bottleneck in (semi-) massive multiplayer games such as BF4.

18. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I dont care what mantle has to offer, im not going to install a boring game that looks pretty and gets an extra fps boots because of some api.

A boring game is a boring game regardless of how well it performs.

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Mantle will only take off if it has support for every GPU, no matter the vendor or how old the GPU is

Presently AMD will need to throw lots of money at developers, as it's extra work to support more than one api so we could end up with the buggy versions of the same game, and/or one api being neglected over the other.

It's a shame as Mantle really could be something great, but so much could go wrong and likely will.
    A pity as it could really improve an open world game like GTAV, or even Watch Dogs and i doubt either of those games will get support.

20. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    And a good game that doesn't perform well doesn't particularly do too well, too. And if it does, why wouldn't you have a performance boost?

Why would you even suggest boring games? How is gameplay even related to the discussion of Mantle?