ATI XCoder v2.0b with GPU Support

Discussion in 'ATI Tray Tools Public Beta Section' started by Ray Adams, May 23, 2009.

1. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
  2. pajarraco

pajarraco New Member

GPU:
    Powercolor Radeon HD4670
    My experience with Xcoder 2.0b - please help.

Hi:

First of all, many thanks to the author for this effort. I tried Xcoder 2.0b yesterday. I would appreciate if the author can explain some strange behaviors I found after testing (i'm using vista 64 and catalyst 9.5 with the hotfix):

1. When I select "use GPU acceleration if possible", transcoding time was actually slower by a fair margin (about 30% slower). As a refference, my card is a HD4670.

2. Using a refference 1mb/seg rate conversion setup, the transcoded clip (h264) shows some strange interleacing (vertical edges are sort of "jagged" in moving objects), something that doesn't happen to the results of AVIVO transcoder with same video rate. This happens regardless of the "deinterleacing profile" used.

3. Why can't this transcoder open AVI files (tipically xvid/divx), even though I have all the required codecs installed. I noticed the same happens with AVIVO transcoder. In both cases I was only able to open MPG files. ¿Can this be solved in some way?

4. ¿Is it possible to add subtitle support (.SRT) in a future release? I mean, to be able to "hard code" the subtitles in the final clip, or actually (even better) to soft code the subtitles into the output file for IPOD video (yes, Ipod classic can read subtitles, which are in the same container alltoguether with the movie), and therefore being able to turn them on and of if desired. THAT WOULD BE GREAT!!!!

I've been testing different transcoders and this is - so far - the fastest considering my hardware. If the author can solve the afforementioned issues it would be a fantastic small program.

Thanks!

3. sideeffect

sideeffect Master Guru

GPU:
    FE 3070
    Hello

I am trying to get this to work in Windows 7 x64 using ATI Catalyst 9.5 WHQL.

I get the error ATI transcode COM component is unavailable.

Net framework 3.5.1 is installed. Any ideas?

4. Millenius

Millenius New Member

GPU:
    x1900 XT 256 @ 750/850
    I have the same problem...
    Windows 7 x64 dont work : ATI COM component :/

5. zomb69

zomb69 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC/3Dsyncmaster

exact problem here too, obviously doesnt support win7 yet

6. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Install last Avivo package for Vista 32. It has 64 bit libraries too.

7. zomb69

zomb69 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC/3Dsyncmaster
  8. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
  9. zomb69

zomb69 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC/3Dsyncmaster
    oh thanks i was looking under windows 7

ok it works great , its using 2 cpu cores at %60 each and 1 gpu at %30 to convert an .avi into a h.264 1080p format
    thanks, but is it possible to use both gpu's and all 8 cores of cpu?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  10. zomb69

zomb69 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC/3Dsyncmaster
    but the outputted video has large green and blue lines through it so somethings wrong

11. Millenius

Millenius New Member

GPU:
    x1900 XT 256 @ 750/850
    We need to install the Vista 32bits AVIVO drivers, for Windows 7 x64 ????

Because i try to install the Vista 64bits AVIVO drivers, but.. dont work on Windows 7 :/

12. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Lets wait for official Avivo coder for W7 64 bit. That one in 32 but package works but so good as expected. There is nothing I can do with it. My GUI is GUI interface for coder, not the coder itself.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  13. zomb69

zomb69 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC/3Dsyncmaster

ok thanks

14. LuckMan212

LuckMan212 New Member

GPU:
    XFX HD4850 1GB
    any news on this? i'm running win7 x64, catalyst 9.8 (hotfix version). Xcoder looks awesome want to give it a try!!

15. Damien888

Damien888 New Member

GPU:
    Asus ATI4870
    Ray, many thanks for your great software :) .

I would however have 2 questions:

- When I want to convert DV AVI into DivX, it puts, as default size, 592x480 (instead of the 720x576). What would you think of the idea of putting, as default size, the original size of the video? Or is there a reason for displaying 592x480?

- I tried to convert my MPEG2 HD video files into divX, but it does not recognise my MPEG2 format. Is this normal? To be more precise, these video files is the native format (MPEG2 1440x1080) and come from my Sony HD camcorder (HDR-HC7E, tape).

As the main purpose of why I bought my ATI4870 graphic card is to convert quickly into divx my video archive (I don't play games or any 3D softwares), I am disappointed that it can't manage my MPEG2 HD files :(

Could you confirm if it is normal? Or maybe the problem is only on my side? If AVIVO/Xcoder really can't convert MPEG2 HD into divX, would there be a software that you could recommend that could use the GPU power of the 4870 card? I would appreciate any advice you could give me :) .

Many thanks for your help and advice :)

16. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Default size calculated by encoder itself and reported back to my GUI

I don't know. I should convert any standard MPEG2 content, but have no idea about SONY MPEG2 format. Need sample to test it.

Non of current boards can do this :) A few utils uses GPU but doesn't help so much.

17. diego7-5

diego7-5 New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 3850 Ultimate
    Thank you for this great tool!

I just discovered that the h264 HD profiles output MPEG-2 Video every time.
    Can you fix that?

Also, would it be possible to encode to a given file size? Let´s say a whole movie is 700 MB in the end.

Thanks & Regards,

Diego

18. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Are you sure? This is not my GUI who produce it , but ATI coder. That why I can not control it and can not control output size

19. diego7-5

diego7-5 New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 3850 Ultimate
    Yes i am very sure. Please see your own screenshot on top of this page!

All i can say is that the Avivo Video Converter also has these presets but ouputs h264 video. That was all i could test. Not too many free GUI´s around to play with :)

When i try to do the same in your GUI, file extension changes to .mpg and final video also is .mpg and video codec used for compression is MPEG, not h264.

Maybe you´ll find a way to fix that. Good work anyways and thanks for the effort!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  20. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Okay. I will check it.