ALC898 no longer listed on Realtek website

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by thatguy91, May 1, 2013.

1. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

This is not about whether sound cards are better than onboard ALC898 or not, it's about whether ALC898 actually still exists!

I just noticed that the ALC898 codec is not listed on the Realtek website anymore. I tried searching for it using the site search form, and it came up with 'Sorry! There is no data found.'

So, is this by mistake, or has Realtek scrapped their highest end audio chip ALC898?

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    They maybe bringing out a new chip...things develop.

IIRC, that chip is a bit dated...might be wrong but products become discontinued all the time.

BTW, get a soundcard.:)

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The ALC898 is supposedly the most recent and highest performing CODEC, if anything ALC892 should have disappeared of the website. Even if it is an old model though, I would have thought it would at least still show on the website, like their AC97 codecs.

I would get a soundcard, but for me the sound quality is decent enough for movies and tv shows, and for gaming I use a set of USB headphones (obviously not the best arrangement but I can't play stuff too overly loud here as I'm sharing a house with other people).

With onboard sound it's as much to do with the motherboard as it is to do with the codec, I haven't experienced any issues with it. I must admit before connecting it to the speakers I have it through a surround sound receiver (with a cirrus logic processor), and use DTS Neo:6, so it would sound different than just a direct connection. Of course this suits tv shows and movies perfectly, but not gaming.

4. Dr.Chocolate

Dr.Chocolate Guest

GPU:
    GTX1060 6gb ASUS
    You still get driver support, so whats the problem. If you want good sound, buy software or hardware :D I would suggest hardware though.

5. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    The discussion for onboard v soundcards is here.

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yes, but it wasn't an onboard vs soundcard question or discussion :)

I would suspect that the latest ALC898, VIA etc solutions would significantly close the gap with sound quality vs PCI solutions, especially those that are a couple of years old (of course not good/high end cards though).

7. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Actually they still do not close the gap, A simple Xonar DG still produce better audio then realtek and VIA Onboard audio. Because motherboard makers still used cheap components for the audio section. I tried to use my VIA onboard, and I couldn't because it did not sound that good in compare to a sound card. The last time I used a realtek audio chip it was the same, it didn't sound that good either and I had to use a sound card then.

But the haswell socket 1150 motherboards on the other hand seems like it gonna change that, with them not using realtek or VIA any more, But Recon3D and This Purity Audio chip, while using better components for audio like nichlion caps and gold caps, While having a EMI cage on the audio chip or some other design to keep the nose out the audio, including having a op-amp socket like that gigabyte Amp-UP haswell motherboard. While having a headphone amp I/C on all motherboards. Took them long enough to do all of that. But Gigabyte did had the Sniper M1 Matx which did had it first minus the op-amp socket.

Still in the end sound cards will always have their place along with external dac/amps.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Even Audigy 2 ZS will annihilate them.

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It doesn't have the new ALC1150 codec listed either, but considering the styling of the Realtek website they probably just haven't updated it apart from a few things.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It's likely that Realtek has removed the chipset due to it being discontinued after nearly 3 years on the market and the fact that it's successor is being released soon.

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I was thinking the same thing. Still keep the lower end models, and replace the current 'high end' (in terms of their offerings) model.

12. pascal_sweden

pascal_sweden Guest

GPU:
    Intel HD 4600
    I am planning to buy new MOBO and currently deciding between Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H or ASUS Z87-PRO.

The Gigabyte looks better in many aspects: e.g. legacy PCI slot, dual network ports, dual HDMI connectors, SSD caching for HDD, gold plated CPU socket, etc.

However one thing that I noticed is that they are still using ALC898 codec, whereas Asus is already using ALC1150. That's really a pity, because if Gigabyte would have used ALC1150 as well, I wouldn't have to think at all, and would go for Gigabyte.

Is there really a big difference in ALC898 and ALC1150?
    Can someone compare both, and indicate specific weaknesses in ALC898?

13. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    If you want improved sound quality spring 20 bucks for a Xonar DG or 50 for a OEM Creative Z. Making a mobo purchase decision based on realtek chips is madness.

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Darkest is spot on. Even a DG will dominate onboard sound.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    there new 1xxx series is coming out so i guess it being replaced. I went from using a SB live card to Realtek onboard card never hear a difference between the onboard and the dedicated. But then I not audiophiliac all that matter is it plays the audio and I happy with it. Im still using 20+ year ACS48 speakers and 30$ headphones

People here need to let go of this tell people to buy soundcard if they dont want to, much like the whole telling people to OC when they dont want too.

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    you came from sb live to Realtek, of course you won't hear much difference. Sb live is old. And you won't hear much difference if you use $30 headphones in most cases.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    this topic is not about onboard vs soundcard give it rest and learn to read what the OP said So why the hell was it even brought up, to many people here have one track minds and dont listen.

18. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    This is the sound section of a hardware enthusiast website. Making a suggestion that will make a large improvement to their computing experience is absolutely something people should be doing. Especially when someone is quibbling over two motherboard choices due to the onboard audio, when a vast improvement can be had for the price of a meal out. Stop trying to white knight for no good reason, you're being pedantic.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Im not the one of those people that CANT read this was not a onboard Vs soundcard topic you people made in to one. People here either cant read or choose to be idiots and ignore what OP say. Im also perfectly aware of this whole place is enthusiasts site. which all fine and dandy but people here need to learn to read or is that seriously that hard for people to do.

20. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    It doesn't matter what the topic was, someone posted in it with concerns about a motherboard purchase. I gave advice to him that you didn't like, when frankly it has nothing to do with you. You're simply throwing a tantrum for no reason.