3770k OC voltage.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by tw1st, Mar 8, 2013.

1. tw1st

tw1st Guest

GPU:
    Asus 3080 ROG Strix
    Right now I'm sitting @ 4.3Ghz with a voltage of 1.185. Temps are good, everything is stable.

I could probably push it a little bit more, and get 4.5-4.6, but my system wont stay stable for some reason.

If I'm at 1.185 volts for 4.3ghz, wouldn't it make sense that 1.200 would be stable for 4.4? Its not, I cant even get 1.285v to be stable to 4.4Ghz, is this normal? I know every CPU is different, but I just can seem to keep my system stable after 4.3Ghz.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  2. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    yeah that is pretty odd, at 1.212v im runnin 4.6ghz stable,so you should definatly be stable at 1.285,4.4ghz i would think,what cooler are you using?

3. tw1st

tw1st Guest

GPU:
    Asus 3080 ROG Strix
    Hey, thanks for the reply.

I am using a Hyper 212 Evo with a push/pull config.

Your OC is basically what I would want, what sort of temps are you getting?

The only thing I can think of is that the "CPU Currency Throttling" BIOS setting is somehow screwing me up. I keep it at 100% most of the time, but I see people recommend 120-140%.

4. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    i ran prime for about 5mins an got up to around 85c,and i only use push on my evo,also using prolimatech pk1 trim

5. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    That's weird voltage.
    I am at 4.2GHz at 1.044V under load.

6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    What cooling do you have, OP?

What about your other system specs? Mobo, RAM, etc...

7. tw1st

tw1st Guest

GPU:
    Asus 3080 ROG Strix
    Using a hyper 212 evo push/pull config, Asus sabertooth z77, 16gb corsair vengeance, 850w ax850.

It's just so strange to me that 4.3ghz is completely stable at 1.185v and I can't get anything higher than that. Tried again last night, even 4.4ghz @ 1.295v won't run without a bsod :/

8. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX4080 OC
    Are you only changing vcore? what BSOD are you getting when you increase the voltage for 4.4 GHz? if u're getting BSOD 101 it is vcore, but if you are getting BSOD 124, it might be PLL or VCCIO or VCCSA. therefore even if you push your vcore further it doesn't improve stability.

9. tw1st

tw1st Guest

GPU:
    Asus 3080 ROG Strix
    didn't really pay attention to the error code, is there a list somewhere I can look at to compare it to? Thanks.

10. freeZ

freeZ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 PE
    At 4.5GHz on 1.2 (bumped it up to 1.25 for good measure) on the same cooler (push only). Is your ram on proper timings? Maybe just your luck of the draw. To be honest, the 200MHz won't offer you anything negligible in real world use.

11. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX4080 OC
    If you're using windows (which i guess you are) type in "view all problem reports" in start menu search and it will show you all the BSOD's/program crashes that happened recently. then you can right-click and view technical details for the crash. it shows you all details, including BSOD code.

12. tw1st

tw1st Guest

GPU:
    Asus 3080 ROG Strix
    Awesome! thanks for that info, that is actually very helpful to know. I can check out why my tomb raider has been crashing to I guess.

I'll check when I get home and report my findings. Thanks again!

13. main_shoby

main_shoby Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    im at 4.5ghz and 1.20v 24/7 since 3770k 1st came out.
    never crashed on 1.20v and 4.5ghz (ht on)

14. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    tomb raider has bugs that crash on nvidia hardware,til they get that fixed i wont even finish the game

15. angmar

angmar Guest

Well my cpu requires a substantial bump in voltage to go from 4.4 to 4.5 and it takes roughly 1.3 to get to 4.7. You may just have a bad chip. Honestly your not going to tell the difference between 4.3 and 4.4 or 4.5. In all seriousness you prob can't even tell the difference from 3.5 to 4.5 in most cases.

16. angmar

angmar Guest

Turn off tesselation if your tomb raider is crashing it fixed it for me. After disabling Tess I finished the game from start to finish without a single crash.

17. tw1st

tw1st Guest

GPU:
    Asus 3080 ROG Strix
    Still unable to get past 4.3Ghz, no matter what voltage I try, went upto 1.3v and I was still crashing.

Got 0x3b and 0x1a errors, one of them said possible bad memory, I checked with memtest and everything is fine, also my ram is set at 1.5v so I'm pretty sure it's not that.

the other error 0x3b said I might need more voltage, but if I need more than 1.3v for a stable 4.5OC, it doesn't seem like it would be worth it anymore.

I just can't understand how 4.3 sits perfectly fine on 1.185v, and 4.5 would need more than 1.3v... doesn't make any sense.

All my BIOS options are set correctly for OC, spread spectrum disabled, LLC on auto, CPU power on 100%, DDR is set @ 1600 and 1.5v, Static voltage.... whatever.... I think I've given up guys.

Thanks for all the tips in here, but I think I'm just going to blame the chip on this one :(

18. daffy101

daffy101 Active Member

GPU:
    7800XT
    I know my CPU is sandy bridge but I had a similar problem. I have run 1.3v 24/7 for 4.6Ghz (Clocked down to 4.4ghz at 1.28v at the moment) but I have never been able to get it to run at 4.7Ghz no matter what combination of voltages I try it seems that some chips might just be so close to the minimum requirement that they don't overclock as well. You either live with it or you could go mad looking for a Golden sample chip. The performance gain is nominal though really for day to day things.

19. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Got 0x3b and 0x1a..

Thats ram, not cpu. Try raising VTT voltage to 1.1

20. tw1st

tw1st Guest

GPU:
    Asus 3080 ROG Strix
    Hmm ram eh? My ram is set for correct timing and voltages, not sure how it would be affected with a higher overclock though since I am not touching it at all.

I will give the VVT voltage a shot, is that somehow related to the RAM? Thanks.