How's the prformance with AMD cards?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by kens30, May 17, 2013.

1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    If I couldnt use my card as advertised, I would dump it. or at least lower the oc a bit and see if that helps

2. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Guest

GPU:
    AMD/nVidia
    Nvidia inspector and radeon pro are not necessary. You shouldn't base your purchase on 3rd party applications that are useless for general use, and, in most cases, not very helpful for troubleshooting (but they could be).

Both NVidia and AMD have those functionalities on driver level and via control panels etc. And I found even profiles to be useless except maybe in SLI/CFX configurations.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah I totally agree.....

Agreed but I've never used card "as advertised".....Has 300Mhz GPU OC, 350mhz vram OC, mem volts raised from 1.5v to 1.6v and Vgpu from 0.98v to 1.2v from day 1.

It's not the overclock heating up vrm though, the increased GPU volts does it. Up to 1.18v the vrm hits ~85c even under heavy GPU load (like DX11 maxed), but at 1.2v makes vrm temps skyrocket.
    Unfortunately 1.2v is minimum I can use for stable overclock.

Obvious solution is lower OC for DX11 but it's against my principles. :p I'd rather use DX9 max instead lol.

The really stupid thing is VaporX (v2) has 8+8 pin plugs meaning it can theoretically draw 375W....completely useless when the vrm can't even handle higher voltage. Doesn't make sense.

I added extra thermal tape to the FET's but made no difference to temperatures. I don't what else to do other than waterblock which is more hassle than it's worth I think.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    undervolt and underclock until you can play all your games in dx11 mode. if that doesnt work, sell the card or buy a new hsf. whats the point in having a hefty oc playing in dx9?

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    thermal tape sucks. maybe see if you can find some fujipoly(best thermal pad out there with high conductivity) i swapped my mobos vrm pads with these and it dropped 8c. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...x_50_x_10_-_Thermal_Conductivity_170_WmK.html

there is also the the lessor ultra thats 12w/mk iirc but much cheaper, and if you cant find that maybe look at phobya pads.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Some DX11 games are OK, like Crysis 3 doesn't heat up the card as much, seems specific to FC....something to do with game engine I guess.

I don't really mind DX9 tbh......

OK thanks I'll check it out....

7. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah maybe you can get some VRM pads, that would help out a bit.

8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Hey, thanks for the suggestion! Friend has been looking for good thermal pads for a long time.

@Pill: don't fry your card. Take it from me. I have had a painful experience with VRMs recently, finicky little ****s.