desktop computers in decline?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by anticupidon, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Parabola

Parabola Guest

GPU:
    82945G Express Chipset
    Considering what an average user does with a computer, the point OP made isn't surprising. Most people use their computers for social networking, e mail, youtube, music and like. Since smart phones mean that you don't actually have to switch on your computer and connect to the internet in order to log on to facebook or get updates from twitter, such people consider desktops(or for that matter, even laptops) as a burden.

I think soon there will come a time when no one except enthusiasts will own desktop computers.

2. tktk104

tktk104 Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 Ti-DC2O-2GD5
    Hmmmm.... sounds like the end of another era. I better start reading more about the future of computing. **kisses my computer** lol

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    One needs to read between lines,nobody will come and announce:
    The desktops are dead!
    More,i have older friends also in computer repair biz,and they are deeply worried about this shift.
    But where are gadgets,there will be always the need for a knowlegde person to fix some problem.
    Guess i will need to follow the trend and focus more in mobile platforms.
    Or getting a degree in law,suing companies for patents seems the most profitable biz outhere!

4. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Still so paranoid that I do online banking on my desktop only! ;)
    Otherwise, I often do lightweight surfing or watch films on a SGS3. :)

5. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    yea same here. My pc is still doing a great job considering that I built my pc back in 08 and upgraded my video card to GTX 470(not overclocked) in 09 and overclocked my i5-750 to 3.6ghz last year, and my pc still holds up and plays bf3 and metro 2033 like a pro on high setting with af.

6. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I understand AMD and Nvidia have their feet in other pie's like mobile and consoles but what do you see happening to them in the future, especially big PC graphics cards in particular.

7. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    I wouldn't say that desktops are going the way of the dinosaur, but there definitely needs to be a major increase in performance to make upgrading them worthwhile. Like most people here, I haven't felt the need to upgrade anything in my rig (save for graphics, which I do regularly) since I built it quite a few years back. It still delivers top performance in all the recent titles. I suppose that's what we get with consoles dictating current pace.

8. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    future of computing isn't really that different. bluetooth keyboard/mouse + monitor next to a dock station where you place your tablet. it's almost the same thing for the average user and only different for the gamers.

buying laptops was trendy for some time, im sure the average user can get more out of a laptop than a desktop. still, i wouldn't ever wanna get rid of a desktop pc completely. laptops overheat too much when gaming and tablets are not a viable replacement for pc's just yet imo.

9. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Pretty sure every year for the past decade a thread or two like this pops up for one reason or another. There is not less PC's, not less gaming PC's. If anything there are slightly more and more. The thing is, there is a giant amount of smartphone and tablet users that grows at an exponential rate that dwarf the much smaller PC realm.
    So again, next year there will be just as much, and most likely more PC users, and even PC gamers. But the number of smartphone users... I think at that point it's going to be like saying there are more people that own a fridge then have a gaming PC.

10. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    Yes...

By the time your 80, the power of your current desktop will be the power inside of a small sheet of graphene.

11. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I still sell a lot of desktops... but mainly to schools and businesses. Most home users are buying laptops/notebooks and tablets/smartphones. Majority of people only want to use social media and perhaps keep in touch with relatives via webcam so a portable device suits them fine.

For me personally there can never be an alternative to a good desktop PC, monitor, keyboard and mouse. And speakers.

12. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    So you're asking us if desktops will be antique in few decades?
    Well I ca... hold on I have a call incoming from work.
    They said "nope".

Smart people don't get work laptops because then work will just follow you home :p

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Its a good idea for certain professionals to have a PC rather than a laptop.

If something goes wrong with a laptop, you have to return it with the hard drive intact.
    If something goes wrong with a PC, you can diagnose and replace the faulty component.

A professional will not want their hard drive to be put in someone elses hands and to risk it being lost in transit.
    This could put back their own business progress and/or result in their data going to the competition, or result in breach of data protection laws.

Doctors home PCs are a good example.

14. fxmercenary

fxmercenary Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC Edition
    What needs to take place is simple. The invention of Plug & Play Laptops. I am talking about a laptop brand with parts that you can put together like a Lego set. Pull off your 14" screen you use on the go, and pop on a 22" scree when you get home, with one simple connector plug. Pop on a different color case, hot-swap already encased hard drives (See Original Xbox 360) a mobo that you can slide out like a dresser drawer and replace/upgrade components, fans, LED lights, processors, RAM etc... An external GPU that you can plug in with one simple connector when you need the gaming power.

One product line, tons of options. Just like someone buying a stock car, with a huge aftermaket parts line. Ricer Laptops

This is the future of computing.

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It was tried years ago but didnt take off.
    Replaceable graphics adapters have been tried independently and they havent become common either.

At some point, ICs will be developed that are so small, powerful enough and contain most of what is currently in the circuit boards, all they will need is stable power.
    Then we will have mini power PCs, similar in function to a plug and play laptop, but with easy to access components.

At the moment, high power computing/gfx chips and voltage regulators consume too much power so the cards/motherboards need to be large to incorporate enough cooling.
    Also there are too many chips and connections between them atm.

16. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    You need to realize that when it comes to consumers that they're going to gravitate towards the new toys. (Im sure your well aware of this more than myself).
    Now take a look at 99% of workplaces, i can guarantee that they're not using tablets to do spreadsheets and word documents and hell, i bet theres even more Macs in there than tablets.

I agree with on the tech side, not as interesting as it use to be but i tell myself its coz im happy with my PC at the moment so i dont really think about the next big upgrade, more so coz the games these days dont need it.

17. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    The New Generation⇓⇓⇓⇓

[​IMG]

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Does it play Crysis?

19. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    I've seen many offices buying el cheapo all in ones.

I hate all in ones.

20. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Technically still a desktop though...isnt it? *sits on desk must be desktop mentality*