Two computers, One Power outlet?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by NN1T1NN, Apr 5, 2009.

1. NN1T1NN

NN1T1NN Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 280 (700/1200)
    I have one power outlet meaning two sockets, and i have connected two computers from this one outlet. I have 2 surge protectors connected to the outlet, and each surge protector is for a seperate computer. one computer is the one described on the left in my profile. The other is a computer from 2002, with a generic vid card, really not top of the line what so ever, and a crt monitor. My question is basically is this an overload of the socket or is this fine, i live in america so it is whatever the standard voltage in america is for power outlets. Thanks for any info.

2. glutto

glutto Master Guru

GPU:
    6650 XT 8GB
    Standard power per breaker is 120v/15a I believe. 120v x 15a = 1800 watts. As long as you stay below that for that breaker you should be fine.

One outlet does not necessarily mean one breaker. One breaker could cover a fairly large area like a room or a large section of a house/apt.

Of course, my knowledge might be a little rusty.

3. PuddingWagon

PuddingWagon Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    I've run two computers off one outlet, sometimes three (either an old one or a laptop), for years. No problems so far.

4. weston

weston Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275
    glutto - you are right

you will only have problems if they are on the same circuit as something power hungry, like a heater, microwave, etc...As long as the circuit as a whole doesn't get overloaded by other stuff, two computers won't be close to the limit.