Reference MSI GTX 670 Temps

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Party Poison, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    So I got a Gtx 670 as in the title its a reference one. What are good/normal temps for it, when im playing say Black Ops 2 it stays around 50 - 54.
    But when playing BF3,Moh War fighter and Far Cry 3 the temps go up to around 65 - 72 with the fan set at 60% through Evga precision.
    Is this normal or too high , anyone share any thoughts on this ?

2. Arbold

Arbold Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070 Zotac Amp Extreme
    I had a reference Evga 670 and my temps never exceeded 63 degree, yet your ambient temperature and your case might be important. 72 seems 10 degree too hot in my opinion. If you still have the option i'd return the card and see how the next one fares or better get yourself one with a decent aftermarket cooling like the gigabyte wf3 i have or the palit one Hilbert tested here.

3. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    ugh and i hit 55-60c on water. tbh 72c wouldnt be something i would be worried about...

some games will push up those temps. most of the time i'm around 40-45c but recently hitman has seen me pushing 60c..

main thing u ask yourself, is the noise of the fan ok at 60%? if yes then no worries...

4. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    That temperature is nothing ! with the reference cooler on you will find that most cards in maximum load hit anywhere between 75~82*c depending on case cooling.

I have 3xGTX670 with reference cooling and the two top cards max out at 85*c at 60% fan speeds and the bottom card reaches aound 77*c. In idle they are all down to 30*c.

For so many year the top end cards with their reference cooling have been touching 80*c without issues. I recall that the GeForce 6800GT was the first card I had with reference cooling that max out around 85*c in games even in a big ventilated Chieftec Dragon tower case.

5. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    I do agree 70~72c for a 670/680 isn't a problem.
    Only bummer (maybe savior) is with the GTX 670/680 is they throttle clocks/volts from 80c and up.
    So I'd imagine you'd get throttling happening if your top card is hitting 85c Gripen90.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  6. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    The highest they go is 1097Mhz no matter if they're 50*c or 85*c.
    When they run 85*c they change between 1084~1097Mhz.
    I've checked multiple times with MSI Afterburner running when benchmarking Heaven DX11 at it's max.
    When only doing SLi the top card does get cooler and so does the lower, but still they max out at 1097Mhz regardles of temperature. So sacrificing 13MHz to run 3-way SLi is perfectly acceptable for me.
    I know that with a 3rd party cooler like Windforce or TwinFrozr then running SLi the cards would still be much cooler... however you get into quite serious problems running 3-way SLi with such coolers since heat is not directed out of the case. A friend of mine ran 3-way SLi with 3xGTX580 Lightning cards but they overheated badly with that type of cooler - exceeding 100*c in at tower case with lots of airflow. He exchanged the GTX 580 Lightnign cards for 3x eVGA GTX 580 SuperClocked cards with reference radial cooler and the system was stable and temps in the 80*c range.
    I could go with GFX watercooling, but I change GFX too often so that would just be money out of the window.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    70c is perfectly OK, especially for a reference cooler.

Even my Vapor-X hits 60c.....although it's heavily overclocked.

63c on am EVGA ref cooler? - your PC must live inside a fridge. :3eyes:

Either that or the GPU isn't seeing over 50% load.

8. Arbold

Arbold Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070 Zotac Amp Extreme
    Not a fridge exactly but a well ventilated Coolermaster HAF XM with some extra fans. Those temps were after playing BF3 on ultra with all eyecandy on for 2 hours.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I have that same case.....

10. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

With a +132 PT / +150 GPU / +300 MEM I never go above 69c on my reference EVGA GTX 680. What I find that puts the most stress/heat on Kepler is the Hard Reset benchmark, more so than 3DMark11, Heaven 3.0, EVGA OC Scanner etc. It will heat your GPU real quick. I am using an aggressive fan profile and I have a high flow bracket. With Kepler anything >69c causes a 13mhz throttle per 10c increment.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2012

11. Party Poison

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    OK, so im playing Far Cry 3 all maxed and i get good fps . if i take shadows and post process down to high it stays at 60 all the time.
    Problem im hitting like 80 c after a while, is that too high ?
    Just a thought but would taking the shroud the of the card and say putting a fan over the heat sinks help it at all ?

EDIT: My case is a HAF 932, With stock fans in it , Which is one on big one on top for exhaust same as rear and the side and front are intake.

12. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    Yes Party Poison 80c and up is starting to get warm your probably getting throttling.
    If your not happy with the temps and the card works great then your only options are to buy an aftermarket cooler.
    Or
    Return and exchange the card if possible for a card with a better cooler.

If your card is throttling at 69c then there's something wrong or your card is playing it very safe.
    I can't say I've seen any throttling at all @ 72C for hours on end.
    Playing a game with my 670 default factory oc boost @ 1189Mhz and it stays there.
    I can't say I've seen my card hit 80c+ even under the heaviest bench or cuda video encoding the max I've seen is 72c
    I've read on various forums it's 80c before throttling even starts.
    Also from what Gripen90 posted using 3 cards his figures match the 80c threshold.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  13. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

I used the wrong terminology. Kepler makes MAX boost at 69c or less.

14. Party Poison

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    UPDATE!! , apologies for leaving this for so long but ive since fitted a twin turbo II on the 670 and my God the difference is amazing. its silent and my max temps on far cry 3 are now 50c-51c. When playing torchlight 2 the temp stays at 29c lol